General OOC Stuff

A place for Player'€™s to post any and all of their Out of Character (OOC) comments. Posts will range from casual comments to player/game information.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

General OOC Stuff

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:41 am

I'm nearly done with my character.

I need to do gear and that's it. How is the rest of the gang doing?

Just to help out, I'm a 3rd Level Rogue. Classic Open Locks, Disable Device, and Sneaky stuff. He's a master of the quarterstaff as well.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ardh05
Level 12
Level 12

Re: General OOC Stuff

Post by ardh05 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:10 am

I'm a level 3 fighter, focused on taking out spellcasters...
Just need to do some calculations and buy gear and I'm done.

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:21 am

I'm still working on my character. I've decided on the skeleton with some aid from Eanwulf (thanks!), but haven't started statting yet.
[url=telnet://brennor.dyndns.org:1896]Akarian Dawn MUSH[/url]
SRGC v0.22: SR2+++ SR3++ h+ b+++ UB+ IE+ RN W+ dk+ ri+ ad+ m+ gm+ M- P+

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:29 am

I'm partway statted and haven't done a thing with equipment either.

I'm a 3rd level gnome wizard (illusionist). Not surprisingly, I'm heavy on the illusion spells. ;-)

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:28 pm

Brennor wrote:I'm still working on my character. I've decided on the skeleton with some aid from Eanwulf (thanks!), but haven't started statting yet.
Oh man, you get to be a skeleton? I'm just a regular human! ;)
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:31 pm

According to Eanwulf, FLAWS from the UA don't work quite as printed, same with Traits. I learned this the hard way, so maybe this will help you guys.

Character's Get (Optional)
1 TRAIT
1 FLAW (1 Bonus Feat In Return)
1 BONUS REGIONAL FEAT

If you take a 2nd Flaw, you get a 2nd Trait (NOT A 2nd FEAT). This really is the big one. Don't try and take 2 Flaws for 2 Bonus Feats, it won't work. That second Flaw only grants a 2nd Trait (Not worth it technically if you ask me).

After this fix, I'm down to just Gear. Eanwulf has sent me my bonus treasure items as well.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:56 pm

Vardaen wrote:If you take a 2nd Flaw, you get a 2nd Trait (NOT A 2nd FEAT). This really is the big one. Don't try and take 2 Flaws for 2 Bonus Feats, it won't work. That second Flaw only grants a 2nd Trait (Not worth it technically if you ask me).
Exactly. Traits are meant to be even sum games - more bad than good, but then you typically pick the good to fit your strengths and the bad for things that aren't important to you, so it comes out even. Flaws are clearly bad. There's no percentage in taking a trait in exchange for a flaw.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:39 pm

Vardaen wrote:According to Eanwulf, FLAWS from the UA don't work quite as printed, same with Traits. I learned this the hard way, so maybe this will help you guys.

Character's Get (Optional)
1 TRAIT
1 FLAW (1 Bonus Feat In Return)
1 BONUS REGIONAL FEAT

If you take a 2nd Flaw, you get a 2nd Trait (NOT A 2nd FEAT). This really is the big one. Don't try and take 2 Flaws for 2 Bonus Feats, it won't work. That second Flaw only grants a 2nd Trait (Not worth it technically if you ask me).

After this fix, I'm down to just Gear. Eanwulf has sent me my bonus treasure items as well.
Yeah sorry for any confusion. I did go back and edit the Combat and Character Creation sections, but obviously not enough.

In defense, you are getting a free feat in the form of your background one which is a regional/background/cultural/or any basic feat that you can see your guy having access to growing up in his line of work.

As far as traits go, they DON'T have to be standard ones from UA as thos tend to pretty much suck - i.e. +1 bonus usually at the cost of two -1 penalties. That roleplaynexus site has some decent traits, though some are sort of overpowering and need review. I say this mainly because the whole purpose of traits was to give characters a minor bonus to their abilities at the cost of a minor hinderance and some of those listed grant complete 'gift packages' to players.

I like the concept and want players to receive a free trait that they actually liked - so encourage you to come up with one if need be! As for the entire flaw thing, it was designed primarily to add roleplaying 'character' as well as to balance out those players merely seeking to gain all the free bonuses that they can.

After all, I do think that I am being more than fair overall.

/cue the hammering sounds of personal critiques...NOW! :?

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:03 pm

I'll be joining as the Dwarven cleric! Happpy to get into a new game!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:13 pm

The bonus feat is totally better than a Flaw-Feat combo, I think you are being more than generous there. Eventually I'll find the time to finish my character.