General OOC Stuff

A place for Player'€™s to post any and all of their Out of Character (OOC) comments. Posts will range from casual comments to player/game information.
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Ambush Plans Outside the Moathouse

Post by Trogdor » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:18 am

Also , FWIW, according to the rules, Taking 10 does not take any more time than a regular check. It's just that when you are not under pressure, you can take an average roll of 10 instead of rolling. It's taking 20 that takes extra time.

So taking 10 on a Climb check should take no more time than making a Climb check with a normal roll.
Checks Without Rolls

A skill check represents an attempt to accomplish some goal, usually while under some sort of time pressure or distraction. Sometimes, though, a character can use a skill under more favorable conditions and eliminate the luck factor.

Taking 10
When your character is not being threatened or distracted, you may choose to take 10. Instead of rolling 1d20 for the skill check, calculate your result as if you had rolled a 10. For many routine tasks, taking 10 makes them automatically successful. Distractions or threats (such as combat) make it impossible for a character to take 10. In most cases, taking 10 is purely a safety measure '€"you know (or expect) that an average roll will succeed but fear that a poor roll might fail, so you elect to settle for the average roll (a 10). Taking 10 is especially useful in situations where a particularly high roll wouldn't help.

Taking 20
When you have plenty of time (generally 2 minutes for a skill that can normally be checked in 1 round, one full-round action, or one standard action), you are faced with no threats or distractions, and the skill being attempted carries no penalties for failure, you can take 20. In other words, eventually you will get a 20 on 1d20 if you roll enough times. Instead of rolling 1d20 for the skill check, just calculate your result as if you had rolled a 20.

Taking 20 means you are trying until you get it right, and it assumes that you fail many times before succeeding. Taking 20 takes twenty times as long as making a single check would take.

Since taking 20 assumes that the character will fail many times before succeeding, if you did attempt to take 20 on a skill that carries penalties for failure, your character would automatically incur those penalties before he or she could complete the task. Common 'œtake 20' skills include Escape Artist, Open Lock, and Search.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:37 am

Alrighty then, after checking the various errata and what not, it would appear that Trog is correct and that it looks like Raven can still take advantage of his invisibility spell.

For all intensive purposes, it would be simple to say that everyone in the group can make it across the moat and up the tower, save for Ash and Llorne (their Take 10 would yield the result of a 10) and as thus, they will need to roll to see if they make it.

I can see an aid other on the climb (i.e. reaching down to lend a helpful hand up the rubble) so that roll is not needed, but there is really no way to aid them in crossing over the moat - short of tossing them! /wink Trog

This being said, the ambush can begin if you wish to, we just need to make a couple of die rolls for Ash and Llorne as they crawl across the rope stretched over the moat.

Final thoughts, ideas?
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:38 pm

Just an FYI your dorf would have a -4 to any climb roll +3 for STR and -7 for ACP. and thats only if Eanwulf doesn't situationaly double the ACP because handing upside down in armor is a lot harder then trying to climb straight up something.

We could have a bard sing for the inspire competence bonus on your move silently roll! ;-)

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:23 pm

sneak... sneak... sneak...
sneak past the stupid Ogre...

;)
[url=telnet://brennor.dyndns.org:1896]Akarian Dawn MUSH[/url]
SRGC v0.22: SR2+++ SR3++ h+ b+++ UB+ IE+ RN W+ dk+ ri+ ad+ m+ gm+ M- P+

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:13 pm

Just a friendly note, I shall be working on the map before work today and wanted to run the following numbers by you before you make your final decision(s).

In order for Kor and Torgunn to try any form of stealthy approach to the moathouse gate, they would need to travel off of the beaten path and wind up making a Hide and Move Silent check in order to try and avoid the frog(s).

Armor Modifiers would apply as well as a -2 terrain penalty to their Move Silent checks. The end results would wind up being:
Kor, d20 '€" 1*
Torgunn, d20 '€" 6*

* includes Armor Penalty
Kor, d20 '€" 3*
Torgunn, d20 '€" 8*

* includes Armor Penalty & Boggy Terrain Modifiers
Between you all and myself, the frog(s) Spot and Listen checks are only +1 (even with their Alertness Feat) but the law of averages would state that they will wind up averaging a roll of 12-13 as their results.

Bear this in mind and please come up with some final plan, ASAP!
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:37 am

I can hit up shield of faith to tankify myself against crossbow wielding punks and i can give Kor "Aid" for some bonus HP's I think 1d8+5 temp hp's and +1 attack/damage might be his friend...

Anorin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Anorin » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:15 am

... Kor likes that aid spell.

This plan could go wrong very fast, but I don't have any better suggestions coming to mind right now.

I say we take the Risk! Onward to glory... and probably getting killed by several hungry frogs.

After all if we didn't I'd have to hand in my reckless barbarian license.

However, I am open to any and all suggesstions, short of swimming the moat, I don't want to know what's down there.
Sane is another word for Unimaginitive

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:04 am

Shield of Faith would yield Torgunn a +2 deflection bonus to AC and Aid would give Kor a +1 morale bonus to attacks, saves vs. fear, in addition to 1d8+4 temporary hit points. Overall, not shabby and only needs 2 rounds to cast. Both spells would last 4 minutes total. Two quick Guidance spells could also boost your Move Silent (weakest) checks as well by +1.

Will treat it as these spells are cast (4 rounds/24 seconds spent) and post accordingly. Any pertinent changes need addressing accordingly, but nothing too terribly severe as the potential carnage ensues however!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:23 pm

Okay, so we cast those spells. We use a second rope tied to those that need the help across the rope so as he's shimming across the rope we can pull him if he falls in.

Skipping the frogs is a fine idea if we can get the group over the rope. I say we risk it, get everyone over the rope, archers on the wall, melee on the ground in the front, Raven in the back to flank (so we have 3 guys on the ground not just 2). Then start it off. I think Wulf you know the basic hope here, go for the roll.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:28 pm

Heh, all this preparation for what you hope are nothing more than two level 1 warriors with AC 10 and 4 hps each right?

Will factor everything into account and formulate something that seems most viable and according to all of your wishes.