Paradoxa's Solo: With a Poisoned Pen I Write

Within the histories of man there has only been two absolutes, life and death. For though humanity believes itself the rulers of the world, outside their realm lies influences beyond their ability to believe or control. Often the leagues that link history and time leaves mankind joined on their path by creatures of the night, shadow walkers, and forces of light. It is these strange bedfellows that truly guide the acts of emperor's and kings, common man and warrior alike.This forum is for the Vampire half of the L&L Game.
MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Re: Paradoxa's Solo: With a Poisoned Pen I Write

Post by MadVlat » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:58 am

Seleuces just begins to scrutinize the foriegn letters upon the scroll when something tells him to look up from the parchment. His eyes search the darkness beyond the light of the candle but find nothing. He begins to look down once again when he hears it. The familiar shuffle of his approaching patron, Manius Calatorius Salvian. The Daeva still bearing the reminders of a past life in his crooked gait...

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:24 pm

The scribe feels a sting of anger at being disturbed right now. But, he reminds himself, the parchment has been hidden for a long time, so why should a few hours matter. Rather exercise patience than lose this discovery to the Daeva's clutches.
Quickly, he hides the mysterious parchment under a less interesting papyrus. Pretending to study it, he waits for the patron's approach.

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:08 am

It is not long before Salvian emits a strong voiced greeting from the corriador leading to the scribes haven. "May I approach Seluces?", the patron announces even as his handsome features appear from the darkness...

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:18 pm

"Of course. Your presence is ever welcome, Salvian."
Seleuces' answer is polite, just as usual, he doesn't show that his visitor could have chosen a better time.
He respectfully rises from his seat to greet the patron.

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:44 am

Salvian enters the chamber with a grace denoting his nobility and speaks to Seleuces as he nears. "I do not wish to disturb you so early in the evening, but I fear that curiousity bekons me. How does the deciphering go Seleues. May I expect completion before the Senex is called to order when the sun sets tommorrow?".

The scribe ponders the question for a brief moment knowing that his work is nearly finished and...

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:41 pm

"My own musings have to stand back for a task from the honorable Senex, so I can assure you, it will be done in time. In fact, it is complete, save a few final touches. "

His patron, who certainly did not expect any other answer, sure isn't here purely out of interest for his progress. The scribe assumes that the Daeva wants to secure himself an advantage through knowledge, before the transcription is made public tomorrow. But perhaps he wants to go even further.

"If that is your wish, I could transcribe a copy for your private records and bring it to you, as soon as the ink has dried. I would be most grateful if you found the time to read it, so I could amend any accidental faults I might have made using a language not native to me. "

Indeed, the language of the Romans is complicated. Subtle differences can turn a compliment into mockery, or a simple listing into a degradation.
But Seleuces has spoken this language for decades, he chooses his words carefully, as Salvian knows, so his humble reference to his foreign ancestry veils the offer to make some adjustments that suit the agenda of his patron.

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:00 pm

Salvian allows a polite smile to cross his pleasant features before once again speaking to the scribe. "Truely you should of become a harpy with your tounge made of silver". The patron then approaches the small table placing a hand beneath the heavy and tooled leather belt at his waist. "Is this it here?", the Daeva asks, as he begins to scan the open scroll which now covers Seleuces's newly found treasure...

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:41 pm

The scribe gives a quiet smile. Being a harpy would be a fine achievement, but right now Seleuces has to react, to prevent Salvian from seeing what he shouldn't see.
"No, it's right here", replies the scribe, quick to point out the real position, not wanting his patron to look to closely at the hiding place of the precious parchment.
"The night is still young, indeed, as I have not even started to work yet. "

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:21 am

Salvian pauses and cocks an eyebrow at the scribes sudden burst of information before speaking. "You seem tense Seleuces have I interupted you?". The Daeva states as he passes a glance about the room searching for something previously unseen amidst the shadows of the chamber...