PRELUDE - A Note About a Job

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

PRELUDE - A Note About a Job

Post by Trogdor » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:42 pm

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

Loud hammering on the door wakes Lucky John Foxcombe from his deep sleep. A quick glance at the very narrow window shows dim light. It was either just past dawn or, more likely, getting on to dusk, given when he'd gone to sleep. The bard had managed to get the owner of The Bronze Dragon to give him a place to sleep and two meals a day in exchange for a few hours of singing and fiddle playing in the evenings. Of course they had given him more of a closet than a room. But the food at the Dragon wasn't bad, and the people here were more honest than most. So he called it even.

Rising sleepily from his bed, John hums a quick singsong melody that seems to smooth out the wrinkles in his clothes and brings his hair into perfect order. Even here, appearances matter. He opens the door and finds Karl, the inn's errand boy holding a wrapped scroll.

"Little lady's here lookin' for you," he says. "Said to give this to you right away." He hands the scroll over. The boy doesn't say so, but John knows that the lady must have slipped him a coin or he wouldn't be this eager to climb two sets of stairs when dinner was clearly being served. For with the door opened, John can smell the cooking from the kitchen below.

Taking the scroll, John tries to close the door, but Karl holds it open. "She said you was to give a reply." So the bard quickly breaks the seal and scans the letter.
Greetings; and I trust this missive finds you in good health. My name is Lavinia Vanderboren, and you have been recommended to me by Miss Daria Fisher as a man of skill and discretion.

I humbly request your attendance at dinner at my estate on Festival Street and Blue Skink Lane tomorrow evening. I think that I can present you with an opportunity uniquely suited to your skills. And if you had one or two associates who you think might also be capable, I welcome you to bring them as well.

Please inform the carrier of this letter of your response to the invitation. I hope to be speaking to you soon.

Lavinia Vanderboren
At first John can't place the name Daria Fisher. But after a moment's consideration, he remembers. She was the daughter of one of Sasserine's wealthy merchants. She'd run into a little trouble and needed someone to take care of it without involving her father. Daria's maid was a friend of Johns and had recommended him. It had been little enough trouble, he recalls - running down a few rumors and recovering some ill-advised love notes from the room of a stuck up kid. But apparently it had made an impression. And if the quality of the paper this note was written on was any indication, this new job would likely pay well.

As for associates, he remembers Berek and Knarra saying they were at loose ends. He knows both of them could be useful in a pinch. And if he was lucky, he could find them both at The Hammer and Axe and still be back to the Dragon in time for his set tonight.

Turning to Karl, he offers his reply.
Welcome MadVlat, Cattywumpus, and mackaber to the Savage Tide game. This thread is for the three of you to post in.
Last edited by Trogdor on Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Re: PRELUDE - A Note About a Job

Post by MadVlat » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:50 am

John awakens to the thumping of a fist upon his closet door, and utters quietly beneath his still rancid morning breath. Then rises, his eyes still slightly blurry and singing a bawdy rendition of mary had a little lamb. His appearance changing ever so slightly but effectively as his clothing straightens as he reaches for the simple latch barring the door. With a minor shuffle and kick to the doors bottom it opens somewhat stiffly. He looks the young lad up and down then blurts out, "It is not time for work, so what is it that brings you to my suite at this hour?".

The boy hands him the missive and the bard opens it, rubbing his eyes before beginning to read. A smile caused by the sound of distant coin that floods his mind, crosses his face. "Tell the lady I shall be happy to attend". The boy is about to leave when Lucky John reaches forward and places two copper coins into the lads palm and looks both ways, "So tell me is she a looker?"...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:12 am

"The lady?" He laughs. "She looks like she's a hundred years old," he says with surety of youth, though its doubtful anyone would be sending her to run errands if she were actually that old.

"And she's a halfling," the boy adds, "not really your type." He smiles. "But I'll tell her what you said." Then the lad rushes down the stairs, happy to be paid twice for the same message.

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:28 am

The boy disappears down the steps leaving John with a sucking lemons scowl on his face. "A hundred year old halfling, baaah; coin shall definately be in order then", he mutters beneath his breath. He turns and gathers his things in short order, closes the door and makes for the alley way entrance. Once outside he stuffs the letter into his shirt and moves to the shadowed corner of the alley, quickly letting loose with a torrent of golden ale from the night before.

Still buttoning his fly, John emerges from the alley much more relaxed and begins to whistle lightly in the evening air. His path heading briskly towards the The Hammer and Axe and his friends...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:45 am

Dusk has well and truly fallen when Lucky John arrives at The Hammer and Axe, a sign with the two weapons painted on it declaring its identity. The bard steps in to find a room with perhaps a dozen tables, most of them filled, and every group containing at least one dwarf.

John knows there are better taverns in the Champion District. But so far as he's been able to tell - and he's made it his business to know - this was the only place you could get a decent pint of dwarven ale. The price was dearer than he'd like, but it was genuine and it wasn't watered down. In fact, that was one reason he'd made sure to learn a bunch of dwarven drinking songs. When they hired him to play here he got free ale. And he liked free ale - especially when it was as good as theirs was.

Scanning the room, John soon sees that he's in luck. Both people he's looking for are here tonight. Knarra Coldstone sits sharing some meat pies with a dwarven smith at a table. near the door. And Berek Steinhart is just leaving a table in the corner where two dodgy looking men sit.

Cattywumpus
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Cattywumpus » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:28 am

Knarra's easy laughter echoes across the room, " ....and THAT'S when his mother walked in!" she says, it is clearly the punch line of some story for the smith erupts with laughter.

Knarra's blue eyes twinkle when she see John, "Ho there! It is the Lucky Night Bird! What are ya doing up and about so early?" Dimples show in her cheeks as she strokes her lush beard ginning at the Bard.
++?????++ Out of Cheese Error. Redo From Start.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:29 am

The bard isn't called Lucky John for no reason. His ability to be in the right place at the right time evident once again as he spies his friends inside the hammer and axe. Swiftly he moves across the floor to intercept his compatriot in dark times, Berek. As he nears a large smile crosses his face, looking alot like a used wagon salesman. "Ah, Berek my friend a true coincidence that I should find you on the same day profit came knocking at my very door". The sailor songwriter reaching a hand forward in greeting as he continues. "If you could but spare a moment I'm sure that you could share in my good fortune". As the words depart his sugared lips he casts a quick glance to the table where the priestess sits. If only to assure himself that she is not ready to leave...

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:09 pm

Today surely hadn't been Berek's lucky day, after his business had dried up aquiring enough coin to afford good Dwarven Ale was becoming more and more complicated and the bit of gold he had been saving in better times for a suit of mail was nothing he relished drinking up. The fact that these two basterds were unwilling to pay the arranged price after he had gotten himself into a lot of trouble on their behalf was enough to get his temper going but luckily he was still sober enough not to bang their heads against each others since their boss was no one to talk to such things lightly, especially with the priestess being around and all. With a few sputtered curses their way he rose from the table and ungently pushed back his chair as the Music Man arrived. Berek smirked and scratched his bushy black beard as he was not really in the mood for the good natured human but at his talk of of money to be made his face lit up and he pulled over a chair and sat down indicating for the music man to accompany him ignoring his proposal of a handshake as he always did. "So what'ya got today?" he inquired in fluent common spiced with a heavy Dwarven accent "Need someone to play the farthorn for ya musicman?" he inquired with throaty chuckle before turning to order two ales.
Big Pimpin...

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:35 pm

John accepts Berek's invitation and takes a seat at the small round table, signalling for three pints of dwarven ale to be brought to the table and slapping down coin on the table's surface. The bard then leans in close never moving his hand from the currency. "A hush job if we play the dice well", he whispers...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:53 pm

The young dwarven lass who sees him order - beardless, unlike some - nods at his three raised fingers and calls out, "Gotcha dearie!" Then she disappears into the back to fetch the ale.