PRELUDE - A Note From An Old Friend

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Re: PRELUDE - A Note From An Old Friend

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:11 pm

"Aw, quit yer bitchin mon," Shumba says playfully, "Joo said dat joo wanted to fight in da Arena and I was merely trying to help joo mon! Sides, it was only a small manticore if I remember right! Hah! Doze were da dayz mon..."

*Pte...GULP* Shumba quickly catches himself as he is about to spit yet again and smiles greasily as he hastily decides to swallow it instead. A vulgar grimace immediately overcomes the half-orc as he does so.
Maybe THIS is the nastiest thing you ever seen Vard? Hey Trog? Take 10 on a Fort save? Result = 16. ;-)

I dip in real life and know all the nifty messy crap that one can do with it - so watch out! ALSO...I LOVE the movie "The Outlaw Josey Wales" w/ Clint Eastwood. He spit on EVERYTHING in that movie! Go jub-jub root!
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:21 pm

Technically you can't take ten on a save, so I rolled for you. (Result: 13+6=19)

FWIW, Daerith's check was 17+2=19 as well.
The dip isn't pleasant for Shumba, but he manages to hold it down without making more than a grimace as he swallows it. Daertith simply raises an eyebrow. Compared to some of the things he's seen and smelt during his magical studies, this really isn't all that bad.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:23 pm

Daeith is about to say something, and step back again, but then Shumba gulps down the jub-jub juice. He has seen some things, but really, this is pretty foul, and selfimposed, that's what Daerith can't stomach. "Next time I'll be more specific about what sort of fights I want in the arena." He points at the small pouch around Shumba's neck, "Just don't bring that with you, I swear if you spit on Lady Vanderboren's carpets the job will be off, and you'll owe her for cleaning costs, and I know you can't aford it. Not with the taste her family has." He steps back to the gate, "I'd bring your gear with you, never know what sort of timeline we'll be working with either, sounded pretty important, and since she's a friend of mine, I don't want to screw this up for her, got it?"
I love that movie too.

Trog, not sure if you want us to continue this thread once we all agree (arkahm posts, etc) or if when we resolve this scene you want to just send us to Dinner. I'm cool with either when the time comes.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:45 pm

Initially, Shumba looks absolutely appalled as he is suddenly taken back with the sternness of Daerith's tone. The young half-orc has never seen the wizard grow so stern or callous before and it quickly catches him off-guard. Nevertheless, Shumba's face quickly resumes its casual demeanor and he merely continues to smile disturbingly whilst secretly admiring the elf's blatant show of force. "I gots it mon," he then replies, "Shumba will be on his best behavior - don't joo worry none! Heck, I'll even wear me sum shoes mon!"

The playful ranger then waits patiently for Lorien's reply...
Well...maybe not that patiently! Me thinks that the Dr00d is communing with nature! :-P
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

arkahm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by arkahm » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:07 am

THE DRUID HAS ARRIVED!!!!
Lorien, never being comfortable with Humans or any other races, quietly sits back, covered in his natural animal hide accouterments, absorbing all the information passing in conversation. He is not use to all the hustle and bustle that the city brings. He had first thought that this trip would be short and simple, just stopping by to see his friend Shumba before leaving for the jungles again, but the subjects in passing have intrigued him. He had not heard nor seen anything happening in the area as yet.
"I don't know, Mister Daeith. The juice seems to be all natural. It can't be all bad. It may in fact put nutrients back into nature. Although I do believe it would be wise to keep it internal to yourself, Shumba, at least until we are finished with our invitation." Lorien says, sticking up for his most like minded friend in the group.
His sharp eyes and slightly pointed ears are always aware of what is going on therefore it was surprising when something of the urgency to include a Ranger and Druid would occur. Was something unbalancing the way of things? Does something threaten the surrounding area including the waters or jungles? Maybe this visit will produce some answers. He is not thrilled with spending another night in this so called "civilization" but his dwelling will still be in the jungles when he decides to leave this unpleasant city.
sorry for the delay folks. Had some problems to take care of. I should be back now...I hope.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:53 pm

Welcome back, RL problems always trump games. How everything is alright.
Daerith smiles, "A shark bite is all natural, but that doesn't mean I want one Lorien." He smiles and taps the top of the gate, still not coming into the garden area. "Well, if you can lend a hand, and are a friend of Shumba's then please come to the Vanderboren Plantation on the edge of town tomorrow for dinner. I don't know what the trouble is, but Lavina is in some kind of hot water, and I could use an extra set of hands no doubt helping out." He reaches back and pulls his hood up over his white hair. "Its getting late, I should head out."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Prelude Ended

Post by Trogdor » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:51 pm

This prelude is over. Action will now move to the first chapter.