Chapter One - A Noble In Need

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Re: Lavinia's Troubles

Post by Eanwulf » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:10 pm

Shumba merely replies to Daerith with a whispered "Sorry mon..." Why the ranger is still embarrassed by his previous 'outburst' is beyond him. Perhaps it is the fact that he does not wish to bring further shame to his friend Daerith. Or even perhaps, that the half-orc finds Lady Vanderboren so captivating that he does not wish to bring her any ill whatsoever. Regardless of the facts, Sumba remains quiet (and S.B.D. free) for the remainder of dessert and graciously accepts Lavinia's offer to take coffee outside in the courtyard.

Once outside and in the open air, Shumba seems to grow much more open and animated. The half-orc quickly begins to walk around admiring the scenery, and for a time seems to grow lost in his appreciation of nature. After pausing long enough to smell several of the exotic flowers and check the pond for any signs of wildlife, Shumba then focuses his attentions solely upon Lady Vanderboren as she begins to speak. As the woman does so, Shumba quickly glances over towards Daerith and looks for any signs that the elf might share about the woman's words being true.
Hopefully Daerith knows about this woman to know if she speaks the truth and Shumba would really like to know if she is doing so now. I would hate to help someone whom killed her own parents and what not!
Once all is said and done, the half-orc waits for someone in the party to speak before sharing his own thoughts. "Joo loved your parents berry much, no? Tis a shame that they are dead. *sigh* I for one, am more than willing to help joo with your problem. I need only ask dis one thing! Do joo want us to kill Soller Vark - or merely bend his ear with 'friendly' persuasion?"

Shumba's last words are spoken with a greasy grin that makes all around him rather uncomfortable.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:14 pm

Berek grimaces there's too many ifs and whatnots involved in the job offer for his taste although the sound of 200 gold sounds, well rewarding. .. he critically eyes the heiress and decides before the do good priestess calls him in to work for the sake of being a good guy he will have to ensure his pay himself. "So let me get this right Miss Vanderbron. You'll pay us 200 gold per person, if, and that's a word I don't like when negotiating my pay, this ring is in your fathers boat? So I have to ask myself what's our pay if the ring your talking about is not on your father's boat?"
Big Pimpin...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:34 pm

Lavinia's jaw sets a bit as Shumba speaks, though whether it's because of his mention of her parents or the business at hand, it's hard to tell. "I'm not hiring you as assassins or murderers," she says. "I just want you to recover what's rightfully mine." She purses her lips and adds, "Just try not to swing first, if it comes to that. And really, why would Vark's men put up a fight unless they're up to no good?"

"As for the risk...," she turns to face Berek, "I'm afraid I don't have a good answer to your question. The ring should be on the ship. But if it isn't, I'm lost. I won't have the money to pay my creditors; and I won't have the money to pay you. It's a risk, I admit. That's part of why I was offering so much for the job."
You all can clearly that 200 gp each is absurdly high for what she's asking. Clearly there's a bit of hazard pay and a little extra to offset the risk.

It's like Ben Kenobi hiring Han Solo.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:20 pm

Daerith happily accepts the move to the garden, a polite way of getting some air away from Shumba's culinary enjoyment of dinner. He sits, a final glass of wine in his hands. Daerith's face looks shocked, he had no idea Lavina's parents were dead. He thinks now to some of the foolish things he said during dinner. "By the gods Lavina I'm sorry, I had no idea. I heard they were involved in some local afairs, but I didn't realize they had died. What happened to them?" He asks before thinking and then quickly tries to change the subject.

He catches the look from the Half Orc right about here and nods, She's an honest woman. His look says to Shumba.

"Of course we will help Lavina! Oh my, I'm so sorry, this must be very hard on you. Its not easy, but the others are right suggesting there are some questions to be answered first." He sips his glass, hiding his eyes a moment, and continues, "Your ship is in the harbor I take it, moored to one of the piers, yes? Then it should not be too difficult to pay it a visit, it is your ship after all, and as employees of your house, we have all the right in the world to go on board. Of course this Vark will try and stop us, since, as you say, he's up to no good. So just to avoid trouble why don't we go tonight, around midnight, so not as to disturb anyone." He rubs his chin a moment in thought, "Its possible Vark is using the ship to stash illegal goods, or perhaps he's running some kind of off shore gambling den onboard, or a brothel or worse. Of course it could all just be simple extortion, and he wants more money knowing the wealth your fam... you have. If I could I would just put up the coins and pay the harbormaster directly and regain access to your ship, but sadly my own funds are in limbo right now and I can't call on them."

He finishes up his glass, barely noticing the woody taste of the fine wine. "So as I see it, we'll need to get on your ship, find this ring of your fathers (any idea where he might have hidden it?), and get off without upsetting the local authorties as much as possible. You get the ring, can get access to the vault, pay off the harbormaster, and all of us."
Last edited by Vardaen on Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:21 pm

Berek wiggles around a little rolling his head from side to side and critically eyeballing the noble, clearly debating the merits of taking her up on the offer. "Alright lady you got yourself a deal. With one condition. If one of us gets knocked you pays his family double if we we get the job done." Afterall there's no point of riskin yer hide or an unsure profit."
Berek's always got to try to get a good deal...
Big Pimpin...

Cattywumpus
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Cattywumpus » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:48 pm

Knarra listens critically to the story being tols and her face hardens at the sound of injustice. "My Lady, there are laws against this sort o' thing those knaves are doin'. I will do my utmost to get your affairs sorted out." Knarra offers,"My Lady, if ya need a friend at this time or any while you are in this time o' need let me offer you my friendship if you would take it, for a person is measured truely by thier family and friends and I can tell by your love of your parents you measure up tall and proud."
++?????++ Out of Cheese Error. Redo From Start.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:48 am

John takes small mouthfuls of the wine from his glass and listens to the conversations taking place in the courtyard. He prepares himself to conduct damage control as his compatriots begin to negotiate with the lovely miss Vanderboren. However, he is impressed with those he calls friends, their conduct becoming to the situation. Then as Berek and Knara finish the bard begins to speak. "I for one will gladly accept the challenge you have set before us Miss Vanderboren with but two conditions. First, as I have no real family to speak of, I would ask that if anything unfortunate were to take place during this endeavor that you would see that my share is evenly split between my friends Berek and Knara. Secondly, I would ask that you accept my most sincere condolances for the passing of your parents". A small but pleasant smile begins on his face, "there is one other minor detail I hope you can manage. If it is not too much trouble could you keep those Jade Crows you have in your employ out of our way. I would hate to see them fowl up a perfectly simple task"...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:34 am

Lavinia looks relieved as everyone accepts her offer. Then, some of the weight of uncertainty off her shoulders, she tries to answer the questions the group has posed.

"The ship should be at our pier," she says. "At least it was two days ago when I tried to get onboard. Vark has no right to take it out of the harbor. AS for the ring," she shrugs. "I would guess he kept it in the captain's cabin somewhere. But I really couldn't say for sure. He never went into any more detail than to say he kept it on the ship."

"And yes, once I have the ring, I can access the vault, and pay all of you. I'd hate to have to pay the harbormaster twice, though, and let that pig Vark keep what I gave him. If you can convince him to either acknowledge that I gave it to him or at least return the money to me so I can pay it to the harbormaster in person, I'd prefer that."

"As for payment," she adds, "if any of you are killed - I can't imagine it being that dangerous - I would certainly pay twice to your kin, or whomever you designate."

"And don't worry about the Jade Ravens," she concludes. "Their current task takes them out of Sasserine for a while. Though I hope you don't think badly of them for Tolin's actions. He can be a bit full of himself at times. But the Jade Ravens have been working for my family for years. They're good people and I trust them."

Lavinia smiles weakly at each mention of her parents, being at once both appreciative of the kind words and sorrowed by the reminder of their deaths.

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:14 am

Berek looks around at those assembled critically mustering those he will be working with the next few days or maybe only tonight. "Well now that we have that cleared out it's as fine an evening as any. I suggest we get to work and find out what's going on on that ship of yours milady?"
Big Pimpin...

arkahm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by arkahm » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:47 am

Lorien walks through the city, clearly not pleased with the information he received, or perhaps did not receive, from the Taxidermist he went to interrogate. Perhaps this noble I am to meet can put better cheer into my step. I do hope this is thoroughly important enough to stray me from my current duties., he thinks as he approaches her grand house. "I have never understood why people must coop themselves into these large boxes." he chuckles to himself and continues to the door, gently rapping on the solid wood, feeling the ridges that were deformed by the hands of man. Patiently he waits for his greeter at the door.

YES! I was finally able to get a post through on the thread!