Chapter One - The Blue Nixie

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Chapter One - The Blue Nixie

Post by Trogdor » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:11 am

I've moved you here to push things along. Feel free to back post and reasonable preparations you may have made.
Having made your plans, the group of you, three coming by way of Lucky John Foxcombe, and three coming by way of Daerith Amlyn, all head towards the docks in the Merchant's District. Lavinia has told you that her ship, the Blue Nixie is docked at Pier Five, right next to the Merchant's Guildhall. As you walk, you each consider how you might get on board - bluffing, magic, force, or perhaps something different altogether.

In a very short time you get within sight of the pier, being careful in your approach lest you be seen. But quickly you realize that's not much of a worry - because the Blue Nixie is not docked at the pier! At first you worry that Soller Vark might have sailed it out of the harbor altogether. But then you realize what's happened. Vark has moored the ship about a hundred feet away from the dock, perhaps to discourage just the sort of escapade you're engaging in.

Clearly getting onto the Blue Nixie will be more difficult than any of you expected.
Just to give you a bit of an idea where you are.

Last edited by Trogdor on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Re: Chapter 1 - The Blue Nixie

Post by MadVlat » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:59 am

John now begins to dislike the dockmasters man at arms. As he spies the blue nixie far from shore. "Damn this man's eyes!", he barks in a somewhat hushed tone. Turning to the others that accompany him the sailor in him takes over. "There is a way to approach her, but I fear that a majority of you will not be appreciative of the effort. Used it once or twice in my travels if you understand my meaning", the bard offering a wink of the eye as he finishes speaking...

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:22 am

"Give da word," Shumba states to the others, "and I'll swim over and take a look!"
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Cattywumpus
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Cattywumpus » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:27 pm

A look of anger clouds Knarra's face for a second and then she looks around the pier for a skiff or rowboat to hire. "There ought to be a small boat we c'n hire boys. I ain't so thrilled about swimming myself. It will ruin my beard!" says Knarra and smiles.
++?????++ Out of Cheese Error. Redo From Start.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:42 pm

Daerith finds himself crouched down behind a rainwater barrel looking out across the pier and harbor. "Its confirmed then, Vark is up to no good, why else would he have moved The Blue Nixie off the pier."

The Elf reaches out and puts a hand on Shumba's shoulder to stop the Half Orc Pygmy from charging headlong into the water without waiting. "Hold on Shumba, lets think this through." He nods to the Cleric, "Sister Knarra is right, we need to get our hands on a skiff. Perhaps Berek or John's tallents would be best suited here. I suggest we don't let anyone know why we need a boat, and when we are done, we'll give it or put it back." He winks at the dwarf and John. "We can row out to the boat, perhaps some of us could hide under a tarp, two folks could pose as deilvery services for something, and before those aboard (assuming there are people aboard) realize it, we'll be on them."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:02 pm

Berek displays a characteristic smirk at Daerith's suggestion and replies "Sounds like ye're really lookin for trouble aye elf? I doubt either your magics or your Big sword will help you once they start firing arrows from the ship onto our vesssel so if we do wish to approach by boat then we better do so unnoticed. What did you have to chime in John ? " Berek inquires with a raised eyebrow in the direction of the musical Seafarer.
Big Pimpin...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:05 pm

As people suggest finding a boat, you all consider what this will entail. Anyone who has lived in Sasserine for even a short time will know that small boats can be found for hire in every district. Typically you can pay a copper for someone to row you where you need to go.

Right now, however, it's late, far past normal hours for regular business. But it's still early enough for the taverns to be open. And there are still a few boats around looking to take advantage of drunken sailors who need to get back to their ships.
I'm assuming it was in the 10-11 pm range when you got out of the Vanderboren estate. Let me know if you want to wait until later to act.

Getting a boat to row you out would normally cost a few coppers. Since this looks a bit fishy, you'd probably have to pay a few silvers. If you wanted them to be discreet, a gold or two is probably called for. And if you want to genuinely hire a boat, they'll charge you a usurious rate - ten gold and another twenty-five that they'd give back (probably) if you return the boat undamaged. Then again, you might just find that you'd bought yourself a crappy boat. :-)

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:01 pm

Whilst his companions continue to discuss the matter of boarding the Nixie further, Shumba takes a couple of steps towards the edge of the pier and begins to look for any signs of activity coming from on board of the vessel.
Take 20 on a Perception check? I mainly want to see if the deck of the vessel is clambering with activity, etc. - not to mention if there are any potential guards and what not waiting at the edge of the long pier leading to boat.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:23 pm

"Trouble is best left to later hours Berek." He touches one of his scroll cases, "My magic will help us greatly if there are men on the deck of the Nixie, I have the ability to send several of them into a deep slumber. One can't shoot at you if they are dreaming of mermaids and tropical islands." He considers the time and the pier, "We are still at an hour where men might be avialable to row us out, but that would not be wise. Perhaps we should wait until the hour grows even later, and then we might... salvage ourselves a boat for private use."
The idea is to steal aboat and row ourselves out, and then put the boat back when we are done. Not that Daerith would suggest that outright, but he's considering it.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:05 pm

Looking out into the harbor Shumba can't see much, the Nixie being maybe two hundred yards away from where he's standing. But a few things are clear. From the lanterns hanging on deck and the light coming from a few portholes, it's clear that the ship is currently inhabited. But it's equally clear that there isn't a large amount of activity either. Exactly how many people there are on board isn't clear, however.