Chapter One - The Blue Nixie

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Assault on the Blue Nixie - Combat Over!

Post by Trogdor » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:31 pm

Vark watches the five of you, for Lorien is still in the hold, with some concern on his face. A quick glance shows that the men on the shore are boarding a couple of boats and pushing off towards the ship. If Vark is to be let go, as he tells you in no uncertain terms would be in your best interests, it will have to be now.
Just giving you another moment to decide on what to do with Vark before the decision is taken away from you.

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:42 pm

It would depend on how he reacted to what I said as Lucky John...
P.S. you can delete this post as soon as you read it Trog... :D

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:44 pm

Daerith catches the pouch of coins and puts it in his pocket, "Thank you John, Lavina will be happy to have this back. We have company coming." He then look to Berek and Shumba, "This is what we are going to do, we are going to let our Patron have her justice with Vark. He's a crook, a smuggler and a general scumbag if you ask me. He's going to the guard, and Ms.Vanderboren is having her justice. The dock master is on his way, so we need to do this right. We aren't a bunch of thieves and rats like Mr. Vark here is, so we are telling the truth, and dealing with this like the law demands. Perhaps Vark will be lucky enough to face a gladiator sentance, and will get to fight some giant spiders in the arena, seem fitting to me." He then walks over to the rail and waves at the on coming boats, "Ahoy there!"
Daerith will stop anyone that tries to let Vark free. I don't think its goign to be that but just in case.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:56 pm

"Ahoy," replies a man in the front of the lead boat. He's holding a lantern and it's clear he's a member of the city guard. "Dockmaster said there was trouble on this ship. Says you guys threatened his boy. Someone's gotta answer for that."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:02 pm

Daerith leans over, "There is trouble that is true, but the boy Tom is a bit mistaken on what's going on here. This here ship belongs to our patron Ms.Vanderboren, but one of the harbormaster's men, a Mr.Vark is double dealing, stealing and smuggling illegal and dangerous animals into the city. We are out here only to collect what belongs to our Lady, and we apprehended him, and killed his most dangerous and violent monster before he could turn it loose on the city." He then tosses a rope down to the guard, "Please come aboard, we were just getting ready to come look for a member of guard, and here you are."
Last edited by Vardaen on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:16 pm

Berek remains silent he hates dealing with honest folk but he quicjkly rubs some more blood from his leather suit so as to appear more like a loyal citizen since after all the crook business wasn't running as it should.
Big Pimpin...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:26 pm

Lady Vanderboren or Miss Vanderboren. She's not married.
"He was one of the people I rowed out," a voice says from the back of the boat. As he moves forward, you can see it's Tom. "He wasn't threatening me. It was the others."

They listen to Daerith's explanation and the watchman replies, "well then, we will come aboard. And the Watch can take over for you. No funny business."

A short time later, the boats come against the Blue Nixie and several people climb aboard. Tom is there, and is the man from the City Watch yo spoke to and one other watchman. The rest are a motley group, no doubt gathered quickly by the dockmaster from who was nearby.

You make your explanations and Vark tries his excuses. But one look in the hold shows who's telling the truth. The watchmen thank you for your help in this matter, and the man Berek killed is not mentioned. Clearly no one's going to press that issue.

A short time later the dockmaster arrives on the Blue Nixie. He's still grumpy from having been dragged out of his house so late. And he's upset to see what Vark was doing behind his back. But he recognizes that you were legit. "I'm afraid I can't let you guys take possession of the ship, though," he says. "I believe Lady Vanderboren now when she said Vark stole the money he gave her. But until we can get that matter settled with the harbormaster, I'll have to retain possession. But I'll put Tom in charge until tomorrow. And if you wanted to look around the ship or pick anything up for Lady Vanderboren, you're free to do so."

Even as the dockmaster is talking, the watchmen are pulling a cursing Vark to his feet and getting ready to lower him into their boat.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:14 pm

Daerith nods to the dockmaster, "Of course, it will take the watch some time to figure out what to do with all the animals. Lorien and Shumba here are both more than skilled when it comes to handling animals, and I think it would be a boon to everyone invloved if they assited the guard in releasing the animals, or finding them good home. For my part, I need to speak with the Lady Vanderboren about the whole affair. She can square things up with the Harbormaster, we recovered what we needed for tonight." He gives a rather fake yawn, "It is late, and I hate to keep anyone up at this hour. For our sake", because he's certain the dock master is looking at Lucky John, "we applogize for any trouble we've caused you Dockmaster, and to you Tom. I'm sure John here is more than willing to set things right for that." He winks at the young man Tom.
I knew that too, but I typed it in wrong even as I reminded myself.

Perhaps Shumba or Lorien could gather anything of value from the rhagodessa's corpse?

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:19 am

John looks on with a boyish smile. "Yes it is true. I do apologize for any inconvience we may have caused. Did Tom give you the payment for the boat rental sir. I would not like to be accused of welching on a deal with an honest man such as yourself?."...

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:30 am

Shumba shrugs indifferently as he listens to the hoo-mons go on-and-on. After a moment or two he adds the following to the conversation.

"Me thinks that it might be best to have the town guard hog all the glory on this one mon! After all, if Vark was telling the truth and there are others out there waiting to exact a little vengeance, why not have them take the heat, at least for now?"

Having said his peace, the squat half-orc then does his best to retrieve the powerful mandibles from the dead rhagodessa. Who knows, perhaps one day he might fashion them into a rather spiffy pair of wrist guards...
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!