Chapter One - The Blue Nixie

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Back at the Vanderboren Estate

Post by Trogdor » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:23 pm

"No, you paid Tom," the dockmaster says, clearly distracted more by what's happened on the Blue Nixie than by the few coins he squeezed out of you earlier. "He gave me the money. Can't say you didn't pay your fair share tonight. I suppose I owe you some thanks too, for showing me what a rat Vark was." He doesn't offer you anything silly like your money back. But you know at least that he'll be a bit more favorably inclined to help you the next time you deal with him.

"Just have Lady Vanderboren come by tomorrow," he adds, "or send her agent, and I'm sure we can sort things out right. I'll deal with the watch. Seeing as you're agents of Lady Vanderboren, I'll tell the guard they can contact you through her if they have any questions."

A few moments later you find yoruself in a boat with Tom again, though this time he's rowing you towards shore. A short time and a brief walk through the darkened city later and you're back at the Vanderboren estate. True to the lady's promise, the light is on outside and Kora Whistlegap is at the door as soon as you knock. However, you're ushered into a study this time instead of the dining room. The room is sparsely furnished, though enough chairs for all of you have been brought in. it's dominated by an impressive darkwood desk and a high-backed chair, but you can see a few spaces on the wall where paintings have been recently removed. Kora leaves you in the study and goes to fetch her lady. A short time later, Lavinia Vanderboren enters the room, followed shortly by Kora bearing a tray with some light wine and biscuits.

"Back so soon?" Lavinia asks. "Did all go well or was there trouble?"
Last edited by Trogdor on Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Re: Back at the Vanderboren Estate

Post by mackaber » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:47 pm

"Me second names trouble fine Lady Vanderborne." Berek replies with a hearty chuckle before grabbing a glass of wine almost splintering the fine glass under his stubby fingers and downing it in one fell swoop before continuing "but there was nothing on your ship that me an Berta couldn't handle except for that 6 foot spider. But that's what Shumba's there for!"
Big Pimpin...

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:56 am

"I believe what my friend Shumba is trying to say Miss Vanderboren is that there was a slight incident, but all is well and legal. We even recovered what we believe to be your payment to Vark". Lucky John says casting an eye to the elf. Then returning his gaze back to the lovely lady. "But more importantly we recovered what you sent us to find and exposed Vark as the crook he is. Never let it be said that Lucky John welched on a deal maam"...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:37 pm

Daerith is whistling once again as he sits there in the study. When Lavina enters he stands up and bows to his current patron and friend. "Things have gone well enough Lavina." He nods to John, "John is right, we recovered your platium that you paid Vark with, as well as recovered your father's ring, plus more." He hands over the pouch with the platinum in it, "Shumba has your ring and a parment that was with it."

As he hands it over he clasps her hand in his two, "Vark was using your ship to smuggle in exotic animals and monsters. No doubt he was dealing with some criminal element, but we broke that up. Vark is in the hands of the dockmaster and the city guard, and the most violent of the animals, a massive spider, is dead thanks to Shumba's excellent archery here." He smiles at Shumba and then lets Lavina's hand go moving back to his seat. "The dock master said come by in the morning and you can sort out the whole mess clean and right."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:21 pm

Normally, Shumba would be boasting and beaming with pride, but oddly enough, once finding himself once again in Lady Vanderboren's presence, the feral half-orc merely hangs his head low and looks embarrassed as he hands Lavinia her parchment laden ring and purse full of platinum.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:25 pm

"Thank you all," Lavinia says, handing the pouch back to Kora. "I'll see him first thing in the morning. And from there I'll go to the vault. After that, I can pay you all what we agreed to." She smiles, clearly pleased with the job you've done.

"In fact," she adds, "I'd like to offer you all a more permanent arrangement." She pauses to take a sip from her wine glass. "With the Jade Ravens out of town for a while, I suspect that I'll be needing some troubleshooters in Sasserine. Would the group of you be willing to take on the job? I can pay you 150 gold a month, plus bonuses and salvage, as appropriate." She looks at each of them in turn. "And of course there's also the patronage of one of the noble families of Sasserine. That ought to count for something as well."
Just to clarify, that's 150 gold total (i.e., 25 gold a month each).

Cattywumpus
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Cattywumpus » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:45 am

Knarra smiles listening to the conversation. She is unusually quiet since the violence as if she is mulling something over. The young Dwarfess looks thoughtful but it is hard to tell else from the expression on her face.
++?????++ Out of Cheese Error. Redo From Start.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:17 am

Daerith takes up his glass and has a sip of the white wine within. "I believe that would be more than agreeable Lavina. Perhaps you'll want us to stick close to you? Is there a guest house on the property you would wish for us to stay in?" He sips his wine, and has yet to mention anything about the promised reward. Then he realizes Shumba hasn't given Lady Vanderboren the ring back yet, "Shumba, give the Lady her ring and parchment, if you please."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:27 am

"I'm afraid not," Lavinia replies. "Space being at a premium in town, it's just the main building itself. In fact, it will be a stretch to find beds for you all this evening, though I daresay we'll manage." She raises an eyebrow to Kora who is standing by the desk, arranging the contents of the pouch into small piles. Kora looks up and nods.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:53 am

"Well, there are plenty of places fairly close we can call home instead. Or we've all managed to gather up for this little trip, I'm sure we can do so again from our various locations." He goes back to whistling a tune, "What's the plan then? Dockmaster in the morning, or the vault first?"