Chapter One - The Vanderboren Vault

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Cattywumpus
Level 8
Level 8

Re: A good look at the Vanderboren Vault

Post by Cattywumpus » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:01 am

"Well, we have the cyclopse here on the west", says Knarra ," What be on t'e wall directly opposite him?"
++?????++ Out of Cheese Error. Redo From Start.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:21 am

Once the true vault is opened, everyone enters and begins their examination. It quickly becomes clear that each of the seven walls reprents a creature with a different number of eyes, from one to seven. With that in mind, Daerith gathers most everyone around the note to consider the monsters listed in it, and how many eyes they have.

Meanwhile, Berek devotes his attention to the mechanism. After a brief examination, he can tell that the pillar is, in fact, a giant stone tumbler that can be rotated in either direction. Further examination shows that it doesn't rotate smoothly, however. Rather, it clicks in eight separate sockets, corresponding to the eight walls. Furthermore, as it rotates, the star in the ceiling also rotates, the red arrow pointin to a different wall with each click.
The following monsters are on the seven walls, with the number of eyes listed after. You have the necessary skills between you to figure them out. Feel free to post your character recognizing the ones you think are more in your area of specialty.

Roper: one eye [K: Arcana]
Red Dragon: two eyes [K: Arcana]
Aboleth: three eyes [K: Dungeoneering]
Ettin: four eyes [K: Nature]
Beholder of some kind: five eyes [K: Dungeoneering]
Gray Render: six eyes [K: Arcana]
Monstrous Spider: seven eyes [K: Nature]

Nice and neat, isn't it?

The monsters listed in the note are as follows.

Chimera: six eyes (two on each head) [K; Arcana]
Cyclops: one eye [common knowledge]
Medusa: two eyes (not counting the snakes [K: Nature]
Umber Hulk: four eyes [K: Dungeoneering]
Basilisk: two eyes [K; Arcana]

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:46 pm

After the Daerith has identified most of the monsters and Berek figured out the working of the mechanisms behind the chamber the Dwarf, none for thinking outside te box, is somewhat dumbfounded.
"Well ye can moves that star around alright, but what's that got's to do with sunrise an sunset. Maybe all the critters is aaranged in such a way that they all those supposed to look to sunset look in the same direction." But after examining the creatures position on the wall it seems that they do not face each other. "Oh blast it I hate riddles maybe we should just bash the walls in and be done with this humbug"
Big Pimpin...

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:12 pm

A wry smile creeps across Shumba's face as he watches Berek lose his cool. For a moment or two, it is all the half-orc can do to not join him in his aggravation. This is when the ranger suddenly remembers his basic survival training and as he does so, smiles even more so. After a moment or two longer of smiling, Shumba finally interjects.

"No need to get upset mon, I think dat ole Shumba has figured it out, or at least he hopes so mon! The first thing that I noticed when we came in here was the shimmering eyes on the wall carvings. That makes me think that the eyes are the key right there. Since none of the images seems to match up, I can't help but feel that we should go off of the scroll for our answers, and pray dat none of those monsters on the wall comes to life if I'm wrong! Dis being said mon, we will need to use the number of eyes on the monsters written there to help us solve this here riddle!"

The half-orcs face then twists and contorts in befuddlement as he stares at his surroundings. Given enough time to reflect on things for a brief moment, he then promptly continues.

"Now we know that this here pillar obviously spins and moves," Shumba adds, patting the stone column in the center of the room playfully, "and that the red line up top there on that star is most likely gonna point at sumthin when we move it. All we need to do is to just figure out what all of this sunrise and sunset krappa means! Now being the great hunter that I am and all, ole Shumba here knows that the sun most assuredly rises in da east and sets in da west. Me mudda also used to always tell me to follow da northern star when and if I ever got lost, as it would help to lead the way back home. I reckon here, dat we just need to figure out which way is north, or at least what this room considers to be da north, and go from there!"

Once again, Shumba's face grows heavy with concern as he begins to spin around and try to gain his bearings.

"Berek mon!? Would you be so kind as to help me figure out which way is north? I am at a loss, being underground and all. If my guess is right, sumthin in me tells me that this here red marker might very well already be pointing towards it! If so, we just need to move this here column as follows: six right (chimera-east-sunrise), one left (cyclops-west-sunset), two right (medusa-east-sunrise), four left (umber hulk-west-sunset), and den two right (basilisk-east-sunrise)!"

"If a I'm a wrong," Shumba finally concludes, "then we best be ready to face whatever nasty beasties are scrawled upon that wall. Ms. Vanderboren? Ye best have dat der ring of yers handy if that's the case!"

Shumba then waits to see what the others have to say and welcomes any form of critiques and criticism.
Last edited by Eanwulf on Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:15 am

Berek critically raises an eyebrow at Shumba and then motions north with his left hand. "Sure hope it works as you think Shumba. Let's get to it shall we"
Assuming that Dwarves can judge were north is underground
Big Pimpin...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:40 am

Berek and Shumba speak quietly on one side of the room for a few moments, each pointing one way and then the other. After a time they both nod, content with their assessment that north is generally in the direction of the wall with the large round creature with four eye stalks and the large central eye.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:17 pm

"Now hold on a moment, before we turn anything. We know north, that's good, and so east is that way or sunrise, and west is that way or sunset. But I don't think you have it right Shumba, close but not right." Daerith walks around the chamber noting the certain more magical monsters. "I believe we should not turn the tumbler just 6 right, and 1 left, etc, but right it to the 6th potision to the right, then turn it back to the left to the 1 position, then right to the 2, then left to the four, then right to 2 again."

He looks at Lavina and Knarra, "And both of you, and anyone else not needed, should stand out in the other chamber, just in case we let off some trap and we need help."

The elf exhales deeply, "So we have two options then. Shumba's method or mine. Shall we take a vote on it?"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:52 pm

Shumba's face scrunches with mixed emotions at Daerith's statement, his mind wracked with even more confusion. After several moments of silence and interjection by other party members, the rugged half-orc then comments. "Me thinks joo are letting the images on da wall confuse joo mon! Shumba thinks dats what they are there for."

After a moment or two longer, Shumba then adds, "Imma willing to try my idea out first if joo wants mon! All of joo just needs to get back out in da hallway first though..."
If no one objects, Shumba is more than willing (fingers crossed) to try his method of simply turning the stone: 6 right, 1 left, 2 right, 4 left, and then 2 right. Just pray that it is right!

On a side note, there is always the options of letting Berek try to somehow pick the lock or possibly even disable any traps that he might be able to find.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:36 pm

Daerith nods, "We can let you try first. Perhaps Berek might be able to mitigate any traps on the tumbler first? The rest of us will wait out in the hall." Daerith aquiesses to Shumba's attempt first, and if that doesn't work they can try Daerith's method next. Both seems reasonable.
I say let Berek try and search for traps first, then everyone out of the room, let Shumba try his method and lets see what happens
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:32 am

"I'll have a look, but I I don't think I missed anything before." says the hardy Dwarf with a gesture which invites everyone fond of their life outside of the chamber before examining the pillar more precisely.
Searching for traps should prolly get a bonus from Stonecunning. Also if Berek does not find any traps he will move the Pillar as Shumba suggested.
Big Pimpin...