Chapter One - In Search of Vanthus

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Re: Escape!

Post by mackaber » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:58 pm

At the Vanderboren estate Berek remains in the background not wanting to hurt the lady's feelings again already by blurting out his distaste for her dear brother and as i appears Daerith has everything well in hand for the time being.
Big Pimpin...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:10 am

Lavinia is glad to see you all are well, though at first she doesn't realize how fortunate you are. She seems a bit surprised at the mixture of concern and relief Daerith shows, but sits down to listen with definite eagerness. She says little as the warrior-mage describes what they learned and what they saw. When asked about the Lotus Dragons she shakes her head, saying simply that she's never heard of them. And when Daerith tells of Penkus and his fate, she looks aghast, almost unbelieving. Then she reads the dead thief's note and her expression turns to sorrow and dread.

It's bad enough that her brother abandoned a thief to die in such a way. And she looks distraught enough over that fact. But when Daerith goes on and tells of how he also tried to condemn the group of you to the same fate, she seems almost broken. But the moment passes and with a strength of will that speaks well for the future of the Vanderboren holdings, she masters her feelings and focuses on the decisions that need to be made. She's still clearly shocked at what her brother has done and despairing of his future. But it doesn't keep her from moving forward.

"That's horrible," she says at last, taking a fortifying sip of wine. "Are any of you injured? Did that undead creature's dread disease infect any of you? If so, I can send for a healer immediately." Then, as she's assured that you've avoided the disease and have only minor injuries, she continues. "I feared that it might come to this," she says in a grim tone. "It seems that Vanthus is past reason by now. But I have to believe that he's not beyond all redemption. Perhaps it's just a sister's hope. But it's all I have." She smiles weakly. "I'd like you to keep looking for him, and capture him if you can." She takes a deep breath. "And if ... if you can't capture him, at least promise me that you'll make sure his end is quick and merciful."

Cattywumpus
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Cattywumpus » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:44 am

Knarra sits next to the lady, bathed and comely again with her blond hair shining like....shiny blond hair. She does her best to comfort Lavinia, "Berronar takes family to 'eart my lady. Perhaps I c'n sway him to good and right. I will give my all for ya, I swear 't"
++?????++ Out of Cheese Error. Redo From Start.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:46 pm

Dearith comforts Lavina, "We are well enough, but not that I doubt Sister Knarra's ablities, but I think we should all be checked by one who knows the signs of undead diseased a bit better. I would hate for us to be spreading a plauge." He sips his own wine a bit, and glances at Berek when Lavina mentions finding Vanthus I told you we'd be going after him.

"I can't speak for everyone, but I will do my best to find Vanthus, and if at all possible save him from himself. I fear we will have to face these Lotus Dragons, and that prospect doesn't sit well with me. We will need time to rest and recover from our ordeal and to re-equip ourselves for the danger that is to come." He fixes his long hair, pulling it out of his eyes, "We could perhaps use some more muscle, are the Jade Raven's available to help us?"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:22 pm

"Of course," Lavinia agrees. "I'll send a note to the church of Wee Jas in the morning. The head priest there was good friends with my parents. I'm sure he'll be able to send someone knowledgeable in such matters. They oppose the undead more than any other threat." She takes another sip of wine and leans back in her chair, physically and emotionally drained.

"Re-equipping yourselves should be little problem. My parents left me a good stock of equipment from their many expeditions. And what they don't have can be bought. But I'm afraid the Jade Ravens are busy with another task right now." She looks thoughtful. "I'll give it some thought as to who else might be able to help. But it has to be someone discrete and trustworthy - not an easy combination in this town."
Thanks, V. This will be a good opportunity to both get arkahm's new character into the game and temporarily write Lucky John out.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:29 pm

Doing my part :)
Daerith nods. "I think I'm going to retire for the night. Mrs.Whistlegap said the guest room was still empty? I think it wise to have someone close at hand incase, well in case Vanthus shows up. He believes we are all dead or trapped on Parrot Island still so should he try and show up he'll be in for a shock. We should all keep a low profile, perhaps its best if the others remain here tonight as well."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:30 pm

"Well it would be a great help if ye knew someone who knew someone within the Lotus Dragon guild... cause you don't wants them as yer enemy Lady... Lavina. And if we go snoopin around askin question about them it's just might come to that. If the top hierarchy knew of yer brother's deceit and that we'se only after him they might turn a blind eye on es. Now I know some people who might know some more but I doubt they'll be willing to talk all too much since these er delicate issues but I imagine big bribes might produce some information although I need yer backin that ye'd be willin to pay fer information before I can look into this any further..." Berek obviously grimaces at the thought of messing with the Lotus Dragon but takes a big gulp of fermented grape juice to make the thought more apealing while staring down Daerith who for some reason is still grinning...
Big Pimpin...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:43 pm

"Yes, of course," Lavinia replies. "The guest room is still empty. And we can find places for all of you," if you like. Daerith is right. It might be best if you stayed here tonight until we can get someone to check you for disease."

Then she nods at Berek's suggestion. "If it's bribes you need, I'm sure we can manage. My dinner this evening allowed me to secure payment on another of the debts owed to my parents. Just let me know what you need and I'll arrange to have it collected in whatever form you think best."
We don't need to go into the details of the bribe. Suffice it to say that Lavinia will be able to fund a reasonable amount of bribes and hush money that Berek thinks will significantly slow the flow of information about you to the Lotus Dragons. Nothing is going to keep you hidden forever. But Berek feels confident that this will give you time to act and gather data without them knowing for a while.

Feel free to continue the conversation with Lavinia. But once you all retire, I'll close out this chapter and get the next one ready.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sat May 01, 2010 5:28 pm

Daerith thanks his old friend, "Thank you Lavina, I know you are dealing with so many things, it is good to know your family finances are back in order. I promise you we will locate Vanthus and do our best to capture him." He doesn't promise Vanthus will survive the next meeting, not after what he did, Daerith knows enough about Berek and Shumba to believe they will try and kill the man the next chance they get.

"Perhaps we might set some counter rumors out there as well. Plenty of folk might believe that Lucky John escaped, swimming out some impossibly small tunnel while the rest of us all drowned or were killed by the zombies. It can't hurt, John is a rather convincing liar after all." He shoots John a friendly smile across the table.

After chatting about bribes, the possiblity of John spreading some tales, and where everyone is sleeping, and the splitting up of the coins and treasure so far Daerith will head off to bed, it's been a long day.
Im good.

I believe my spells are set for the morning and the last minute tinkering of feats is handled also.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

The end of a long day.

Post by Trogdor » Mon May 03, 2010 8:09 pm

One-by-one everyone gets ready to turn in. Kora manages to find beds for everyone, though it's not easy since the manor only has two guest rooms. Knarra gets one. And after a quiet discussion between Lavinia and Kora, Daerith is offered Vanthus's room on the third floor, as it seems like Lavinia's brother won't be needing it again for some time. Berek and Shumba can then either share the remaining guest room, or one of them can bunk in one of the servant's rooms. With only Kora working at the house, there's a spare room with two beds that saw use when the Vanderboren fortunes were a bit better.

Eventually, thought, you all put an end to this long and trying day, resting in comfortable beds when it seemed just a few hours earlier that you might have only damp stone to sleep on. True, Vanthus is still out there, no doubt planning something terrible. And with the Lotus Dragons involved, it's bound to be dangerous. But you're all safe and warm, and a good bit richer than you were yesterday. In Sasserine, that's considered a successful day.
This ends the current chapter of Savage Tide. I'll be starting the next one in just a little bit.