Chapter One - In Search of Vanthus

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Chapter One - In Search of Vanthus

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:36 am

Midday finds all of you back at the Vanderboren estate, the large chests of coin much diminished by your own payment and a couple of stops to pay off significant debts that were due for payment by Lavinia - one to the harbormaster to get The Blue Nixie released, and one for back taxes due to the city. Lavinia has little in the way of hard cash available until she can call in some of the money owed her family. But she is no longer in danger of bankruptcy.

Upon returning to the estate, Lavinia has Kora rush out to fetch a healer, while she settles those of you who are injured into comfortable chairs. For the moment she will hear nothing of business.

Shortly thereafter the healers come and tend to the few injuries that remain after Knarra's divine aid. Immediately after that, you are all ushered once more into the dining room, this time for a simple lunch that Kora has prepared. Again you find yourself arrayed around the table. And again you find Lavinia explaining the situation.

"If you're to find Vanthus," she says after taking a sip of wine, "I'll have to tell you a bit about him. Daerith knows some of this. But for the benefit of the rest of you, I'll start from the beginning. Vanthus and I were the only two children my parents had. I'm older by two years, but that hardly mattered. We were very close growing up, since our parents were often away for long periods. Over time, we grew to depend on each other. And I'm afraid we got into a fair amount of trouble in our time. Nothing serious, mind you, but often elaborate."

"Well, once we took things a bit too far. We managed to get our hands on several elixirs of love and emptied them into a nearby water tower. I won't go into the details, except to say that we were discovered, and our parents were none too pleased." She smiles sheepishly at Daerith. "I'm afraid that's why my Elvish lessons ended so abruptly." Looking back at the others, she continues. "I was sent to the Thenalar Academy to study, while Vanthus was shipped out to work on one of the family's plantations. My parents thought it was best if we were split up for a while and put in situations that would help us prepare ourselves for our inheritance."

"My time at Thenalar was good for me. I suppose I grew up a little while I was there. Oh, I don't mean to say that I've become a stick-in-the-mud. But I understand that there's a time and a place for jokes. And I know where the line is now. I don't think that Vanthus got quite so much out of his time managing the plantation."

"We both returned to live at the estate about a year ago. I started taking an interest in history, studying many of the books that my parents had accumulated over the years. And I began to help my parents with the business side of the family finances - though not enough, it seems. Vanthus was the opposite. He didn't have nearly as much time for me as he used to. We talked, but never for long. And we'd lost the closeness we'd had. He tended to sleep the day away and then spend the night with -well- associates of dubious character, I suppose you could say. He drank and gambled. Eventually he moved out of the house altogether." She reddens a bit. "I got the feeling he took up with a lover in the Azure District, but I never confronted him, so I don't have any details."

"After our parents died," she continues, "Vanthus stayed at the manor again for a week or so. But he'd changed even more by then. Gone was the easy sense of humor I remembered from our youth. Instead he was cynical with an almost morbid streak that sometimes sent chills up my spine. We had several arguments." She pauses. "More than several." She pauses again, this time for much longer. "During one argument, he struck me." As she speaks, Lavinia looks at no one in particular, her eyes unfocused as if she was watching the events of a month ago.

"I was shocked, as you might imagine." She shakes her head very slightly. "I think he was too. I thought he might apologize. But the moment passed and he went back to his new self, all scowls and menace. That night he gathered up his things and moved out. I haven't seen him since."

Lavinia's eyes come back into focus and she looks around at all of you. "I know something happened to change Vanthus," she says earnestly. "But I don't know what. Clearly he's fallen in with the wrong crowd - smugglers, thieves, or worse. And he's taken a great deal of money from the vault. Though really, it's as much his inheritance as mine. Still, he's my brother and I have to hope it isn't too late for him. If I could just get him back here and away from his new associates, maybe I could talk some sense into him before he passes out of my reach." Her voice trails off.

"But as you know," she says in a stronger voice, "I don't know where he's gone. It's a good bet he's still in Sasserine - or at least was a few days ago. I don't think he'd be staying in the Champion's District or the Noble District, though I wouldn't put it past him to be working some kind of angle in either place. As I said, I think he'd taken up with a woman in the Azure District, though that's based on rumor's and half-heard comments. Really, he could be anywhere in the city. It might be best to leave no stone unturned."

Then she looks around at all of you. "But then you probably have a better idea of how to go about this than I do."
Welcome to the next part of Chapter One. Right now there's a more free form search for Vanthus. Basically, it will involve searching the various districts of the city. If you don't have a copy of the Player's Guide either do a Google search for it, or let me know. That has a good description of the districts. I may or may not split up the thread for the search, depending upon how complicated the various investigations are. My hope is that I won't have to.
Last edited by Trogdor on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Re: Chapter 1 - In Search of Vanthus

Post by MadVlat » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:34 am

"Azure district you say. May be a good chance of finding him if he is still there, better if I had a picture of your brother". John smiles, the ever present grin sharpening his features slightly. The bard pauses to take a sip of wine before speaking again. "I also would like to thank you for your kindness earlier". The tavern entertainer holding up his arm slightly...

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:51 pm

Berek takes in the Lavina's tale unmoved with a scowl spreading across his face. He works the back of his mind if he has ever heard anything about this boy Vanthus recently but decides he can start the search in the Cities Gambling dens as the families cash has likely been used to pay gambling debts. After Lucky john speaks the Dwarf clears his throat before stating a plan.
"Alright I suppose you never made any closer aquaintance with any of ye brothers new found friends Lady Vanderboren, so we gots to work with what we got. For me there's two obvious clues we can follow currently that is a that your brother likely picked up an unhealthy gambling habit and b) he likely had a girly friend in the Azure district. So I'd suggest we investigate along both these lines me for my part I think I can prolly find out a bit about ye brothers gambling habbits and if he'd acquired any major debt. Any people he still owes will likely be interested in sharing information so I think I knows where I can set to work."
Knowledge Local: See if I know anything about Vanthus
Big Pimpin...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:37 pm

Daerith sits listening, he remembers Vanthus as a young man a prankster and not fond of his lessons, but he never thought Vanthus would turn out so badly. The Elf sits up in his seat and leans forward, his long white hair falls around his face as he has it loose now that they have returned and the healers are done. "We'll find him Lady Vanderboren, and we'll bring him back to you." He glances at Berek and Shumba when he says that, hoping the pair realize this is a search and rescue mission, and killing Vanthus isn't the goal. "Lucky John, just look there over the mantel." Daerith points at the picture over the fireplace. "That's Vanthus, perhap a few years younger than now, but its him."
This picture was over the mantel the first time we came into Lavina's house. I repost it here for Trogdor.
Daerith considers Berek's comments, "A good place to start, we can search the Azure District. The Gull's Nest or the Mermaid's Secret perhaps is a good place to look, if we are going to go on the lead of his lady friend." Daerith has lived in Sasserine his whole life, and while he certainly hasn't been to those places any young man knows the names of the infamous local brothels. "Now in the Champion District there are a few gambling dens, but if you don't think he'd be found there we can cross them off the initial list. I heard tell there are more gaming halls in Shadowshore, but I've avoided that area of town so its outside my knowledge base. I'm a bit curious about Fendal's Pets or Cages of Plenty, they are exotic pet shops, and I'd like to check in there to see how things went with the unloading of the animals off of The Blue Nixie. It probably has nothing to do with Vanthus, but we should checkin with Lorien's efforts just the same." He considers where else to start when his hand rests on his coin pouch, "I'll also need to take a swing by Orimander's Emporium of the Soul to spend some of my hard earned coins on potions and scroll making supplies."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:13 pm

"Good ideas Daerith, ye knows yer way around the arena don't cha? Doesn't a lot of large scale gambling take place there? I'd think it'd be as good a place as any for a young noble to bust his inheritance!" Berek replies nonchalatly "I been around Shadowshore off and on in my days. Dangerous area and honestly I think it'd be better I'd go there on my own.
Best way to get into trouble there is to attract attention." says the rugged Dwarf with a raised eyebrow as he musters Daerith "Shall we split up and meet again here in the morrow?"
Big Pimpin...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:25 pm

"It was the least I could do," Lavinia says in reply to John's thanks. "Especially given that you were injured in my employ. And yes," she adds when Daerith points out the painting. "That's Vanthus. And it's only a year old. He actually sat for it when he first got back from the plantation. It was one of the few things he stayed around the house for."

"But please," she says in a softer tone, "you should all call me Lavinia - at least in private. I get quite enough 'Lady Vanderboren' around town. It keeps making me look over my shoulder for my mother. And then I remember what happened." She frowns. "So please, Lavinia."

Then Berek asks his question and Lavinia replies, "No, I had nothing to do with Vanthus's new 'friends.' He certainly didn't bring any of them here." She wrinkles her nose.
Thanks for the image post, V.

I rearranged the order of your questions to make my reply a little easier. Sorry to take such liberties. :-)

Berek's K:Local Check: 2 + 7 = 9 (Fail.)
Never heard of him before Lavinia mentioned his name.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:25 pm

"Yeah mon," Shumba adds confidently as he listens to Daerith's advice, "Me thinks dat the Azure District is da best place to search mon!" He continues, "After all mon, if brother Vanthus here has been slipping some cooze the ole skin-shark, she most assuredly has to know where he's at!" The rugged half-orc appears lost in thought for a moment or two before adding, "Sides, even if he owed money to pay him off some gamblin' debts, those seeking to collect would have most likely cum and roughed up da brudder's cooze in order to try and shake him down. If so, then there's bound to be some poor wretch lurking around da neighborhood that's seen a thing or two even! Yeah mon, me can't help but feel that the Azure District's da place to be mon!"
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:41 pm

"Right then. So after we eat we shall all do what we can to help you find your brother, Miss Van...". The bard catching himself in mid sentence and correcting the almost mispoken words. "... Lavina. Then we shall all meet back here at six bells tomorrow morning, agreed. John looks about the table for confirmation from the others and then to their host once again...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:08 pm

"That would work perfectly," Lavinia replies. "I'm afraid I'll be out the rest of the afternoon, into evening, working on calling in some of the debts we uncovered." She smiles. "It's a pleasant change to be on the collecting end for a change."
So I have the following investigations. I've listed all the districts for the sake of completeness.

Azure District: Everyone looking into gambling dens and places VAnthus might have shacked up.
Champion's District: No investigation
Cudgel District: No investigation
Merchant's District: No investigation
Noble District: No investigation
Shadowshore: Maybe some investigation of its gambling dens?
Sunrise: No investigation

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:06 pm

"Aight Lady eh Lavina" Berek says as he rises plopping his richly filled purse he continues "I'll leave this witcha since you are surely more trustworthy than the folk in Shadowshore. If I'm not around by tomorow mornin ye mights want to get concerned for me health but I'll look to stay out of trouble." with that the Dwarf swallows what the entire content of his wine glass in one fell swoop and makes noises of disgust and grumbles something about drinking grapes and heads out.
Berek's of to Shadowshore. I'll check out the Player's Guide and let you know which locales he has in mind.
Big Pimpin...