Chapter One - The Lotus and the Dragon

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Re: Back at the Vanderboren Estate

Post by mackaber » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:30 pm

While Berek was not fond of the idea of giving away such valuable perfumes it seems Daerith has struck up just the right time to present it. Berek merely smiles and accepts it.
After all there is something he will need Daerith for soon. As his friends at the armory were not able to make the shield he needed he would have to find a mage willing and able to enchant his shield and Daerith was likely farmiliar with these sorts.
After the evening meal Berek approaches the Elf and after stroking his new chainshirt he enquires of the Mage. "So Daerith. If one was lookin fer a mage who can put some magics on a shield who could one ask in this fine town?"
Big Pimpin...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:27 pm

Daerith is pleased to have timed the gift right with Berek's mood. The expensive perfumes have gone to Lavinia, but the lesser ones he doesn't push, and so could eventually be sold, or used personally. Heaven knows the group will start to stink after their adventures, espcially if they end of leaving Sasserine for a time.

When Berek asks him about the magics he considers, "There are no professional magical crafters that I know about in Sasserine, a same really as that is a market that likely could prove profitable. No, we'd have to speak to someone at the Witchwarden Tower. I think I could get us some time to sit and talk with someone, Galvarin the Whitehaired might be willing to help, or could point us to the right man." He drinks some wine, "Come to think of it I could use a few items made for myself as well. Of course these things take time and money, but we seem to have atleast one of those thing right now. What sort of enchantement are you considering Berek? Protection?"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:40 am

"The best deffence is a good offence as ye might know. So I needs a shield that can bash in some heads. They're popular among my kin but rare and I guess makin m is sorts of a secret an me friends at the armory says they don't know how to make em. But if ye can arrange for the man to have some time we can meets him, maybe here. Perhaps someone else needs somein too."
Big Pimpin...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:03 am

Daerith considers, "Those in the Witchwarden Tower don't often make house calls, not for this sort of thing. If we want them to craft something for us, we better go to them, it will start things with the right oar so to speak. I was pondering a few items myself, a haversack, or perhaps a spell enchancing rod." He considers, "Let's see what the others think and all go together, a letter of good conduct from Lavinia might go a long way to make them friendly as well, and of course piles and piles of gold coins."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:27 pm

"A letter o good conduct?" Berek enquires with a raised eyebrow "A big stash o gold should do me thinks. But do whatever ye thinks ye needs to do to get together with ol whitebeard. As to a haversack I should be able to find oe o those on the market given a bit o time."
To the best of my knowldge Sasserine is a large town or so standard items with a GP value of >2000 should be easily available. What do you say Trog?
Big Pimpin...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:55 pm

Daerith looks at Lavinia, then to Berek, "Trust me, some good word from Ms.Vanderboren should help put our request higher up the list. Otherwise they could simply delay our items for more important members of society that ask for them. Sasserine is a big place, there are alot of people that might want something from them."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:12 pm

Mack is right in general that Sasserine is a big city and has a number of larger magic items readily available. Basically the more common the item, and the cheaper it is, the more likely that you can find one for sale right away. If you want a +1 ring of protection, you can almost certainly find one on the spot. Same for a +1 longsword, +1 chainmail, handy haversack, that sort of thing.

As you get higher in price or less common (I consider a shield of bashing less common), then the likelihood gets smaller that they happen to have one on hand. Then it's a matter of finding someone who can craft it. And in Sasserine, they'll have people who can craft anything you're likely to be able to afford for many levels to come.
With Daerith's help, Berek is able to find a crafter willing to make a shield of bashing. And with word of what the group has done for the city already leaking out, getting him near the top of the man's list of projects is easily done. He promises that he'll have the shield done in a couple of weeks tops.

Over the next several days, you are spoken to by representatives of the Dawn Council who ask to see the thieves' hideout and the various letters, maps, paintings, and boards that you found. The source of their information is never given. Lavinia swears that it wasn't her. But it doesn't surprise you that the Dawn Council has found out. Generally they do a good job of keeping tabs on what happens in town - even if they fell down on the job with the Lotus-Dragon threat.

In fact, because of what you've done in keeping them safe, a few days after these consultations, you all receive an invitation to a banquet and dance being held at Castle Teraknian in your honor. There the Dawn Council thanks you in person for protecting the city from the dangers of the Lotus-Dragon thieves. At the end of the banquet, Lord Worrin Lidu presents each of you with the Spire of Sasserine, a medal that is awarded to those who perform great deeds to the city.
The Spire of Sasserine gives you each a +2 on all Diplomacy checks on Sasserine natives and all Knowledge(local) checks used to gather information in Sasserine. (Some exceptions may apply.)

Also, please give me a list of what you want. If it needs to be made, you only have to put half down, with the other half upon delivery. You'll have the next section of the adventure between now and when delivery happens, so you could probably afford something else in the meanwhile.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:37 pm

Updated my sheet with new item, cool.

Also I'll get you my scrolls, and items as quick as I can. With BrenCon I've been slacking sorry.
Daerith enjoys the ball. Rubbing elbows with some of the city elite is a real treat for him. While there he makes sure to touch base with any firends or acquaintaces of his father's who might be present. The 'boy' is rather pleased with himself, and this may rub some salt in a wound back home. That will show the old man. Daerith spends time hob knobing about and gladly retells the tale of his heroism to anyone that will listen always focusing his stories on his own prowess, but is sure to talk up the general skill of the group in total -- but of course he makes Berek's parts more comical than they really were.

Drinking, dancing, and eating to his delight the young elf makes sure to get Lavinia out on the dance floor a few times for any of the more enjoyable waltzes and such, and manages to accidently get caught out there with her for a slower more couple's oriented song.

Accepting the medal from Lord Worrin Lindu, Daerith does so with poise and humilty, "All in a days service to the great city of Sasserine Lord Lindu. Let us hope such drastic heroics need not happen again, but should they be required I and my companions will certianly rise to the challange." During the festivities Daerith shops around a few names for the group, seeing what the locals find pleasing, and even asking Lucky John, who must be in attendance for his ealier actions (even in his sic condition) for some good ideas. Settling on nothing he starts a few rumors of names however to see what sticks.

In the end, happy and only two sheets to the wind, Daerith eventually makes his way back to the Vanderboren Estate to stay in his private room there.