Chapter Two - To Kraken's Cove

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Chapter Two - To Kraken's Cove

Post by Trogdor » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:42 pm

Nearly a week has passed since your attack on the Lotus-Dragon headquarters. At times the days have gone slowly; at others with blinding speed. Both you and Lavinia Vanderboren are eager to pursue her brother, Vanthus Vanderboren, who is now clearly guilty not only of the attempted murder of all of you, but of the actual murder of his parents. However, clearing out the thieves' den, as well as explaining things to the authorities, has taken longer than expected.

Representatives of the Dawn Council have been all through the underground complex, despite any protests you may make. It's impossible to hide the existence of the Lotus-Dragon's lair now, and you decide that since you can't avoid it, you might as well not fight it. You are able to clear the place out of anything valuable before they arrive, however, not being fools. At present the authorities aren't sure what should be done with the place, and might be amenable to suggestions.

Initially the Dawn Council looks a little curiously at your timely bill of sale for the taxidermist's shop. But in the wake of your being lauded as heroes, and a desire to quickly put the matter behind them, you are able to register your purchase in record time, removing any possibility of questions about the ownership of the building and its contents. Berek starts working on liquidating the stock and expects that within a few weeks he should be able to get rid of most of it without taking too much of a loss.

Eventually government investigations and celebratory banquets are over. In fact, the city is already preparing for the next big festival by the time the group of you are starting to become old news. The Wormfall Festival begins in just a few days and will last most of a week. Officially it celebrates the defeat of those who would have brought about the Age of Worms a year ago. Most of the events involved in this took place a thousand miles away. But it was also responsible for an undead attack on the city that was defeated by some powerful adventurers from Cauldron. Really, though, you know its as much an excuse to celebrate, build up morale, and increase business for the city. As you make your way to the Vanderboren estate, criers loudly announce the coming festival, in the streets and canals, posters go up on blank walls, and you know more are up in the local taverns, and everyone is abuzz with what the first Wormfall Festival will be like.

Daerith and Berek arrive at the Vanderboren Estate and are let in by a new doorman, Lavinia finally having started to rebuild the staff. Kora ushers them into the study, where Lavinia is waiting.

"I think it's time to plan our next move against Vanthus," the lady of the house says, rising to greet you. "We can't give him too much of a headstart. Unfortunately, I have some bad news. Knarra has asked for my leave to depart my service. She feels more of a call to tend to Berronar's faithful right now. I suspect that there's more. But I don't want people to feel they're required to serve me, so I told her that I'd be sorry to see her go, but understood the need to put her faith first. Then Shumba also spoke to me. He has apparently received word of some family issue that requires his immediate attention. I'm not sure of the details, and frankly am not certain I want to know them. But he too will not be rejoining you. I'm not sure where Sindu is, but I expect that matters at the temple have kept him."

"But I'm getting ahead of myself," she continues. "Kora, please bring us some refreshments." She smiles at the two of you. "I'm afraid that things might be a little difficult for a time. But I've sent word for someone that's worked with my parents in the past. He's a sailor and very clever. He might be just the sort of person that could help with finding Vanthus."

"But I should ask first whether you both feel that you can go forward as things stand. I wouldn't want you to feel that I'm asking too much without you having enough support."
Welcome back. I'm afraid it's just Daerith and Berek right now. But we've got a third ready to join as soon as I get his character (Chanur), with two others to join up soon thereafter (TetNak and Max_Powers). Sorry for the delay in starting this next section. But with the character drops I wanted to make sure I had everything settled before I started.
Last edited by Trogdor on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arkahm
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Chapter Two - To Kraken's Cove

Post by arkahm » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:42 am

It has been a long week at the temple but much was gleaned from the knowledge of Wee Jas about the deconstruction of negative energy items. As Sindu walks the road towards the Vanderboren Estate, he reaches back through his memories and decides it will be good to see his new friends again. It is time to track down the lost Vanderboren son and put an end to his state of mind, one way or another. He approaches the door and with a quick knock, awaits to be greeted by Kora.
Hello again all. It is good to be back.
Last edited by arkahm on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:48 am

Daerith has spent the last week working with his contacts to secure some rarer type magical items for him and Berek. He's offered his good-byes to Shumba as well, the pygmy and the elf were closer friends than any others in the group. "Shumba will be missed, but from what I understand his family truely needs him at this hour. We can only wish him well." Daerith takes some wine as its brought out, he's not in armor or carring much of anything with him, save for his always present curved blade. "I think its time we turn our focus to Vanthus as well Lavina. We have been distracted, pleasently of course, by all the parties and fun thrown in our honor, but its time to get back to work. I for one can't rest easy knowing Vanthus is still out there putting us all at risk." He has been staying here after all, up that room of his. "You know, as always, that I'm at your disposal for any matter Lavinia. I wonder who this mystery man is, if he's anything like Lucky John we might be in for a circus once again." The young elf smiles sipping his wine.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:07 pm

His week had been rather busy between selling a house and more loot than he could carry all over the city, meeting with bearded old men in dusty towers and having to research old Dwarven records with Sister Knarra on Dwarven shield magics Berek had also become a hero and had many drinks bought for him where ever he went. All in all it was a pleasant change to being a nobody but he had been fond of anonimity in his line of work so now he would have to start being a hero and to build his reputation he would have to act like one which was something he was not at all looking forward. As he retuned to the Vanderboren manner in the company of Daerith Berek did his best to be polite as they have settled down with a drink he does his best to behave a gentleman.
"Yes nice to see ye again Lavina. Sad to see the fellers part but if they ain't up for the job then so be it. Not too sure where we can finds yer brother but as I recall Sindu had found some hints in the letters he'd read, too bad he's still tied up in the monestary ey..."
Big Pimpin...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:19 pm

"I have the letters here," Lavinia says, opening a drawer on her desk and pulling out a flat leather pouch. She opens the pouch and takes out a piece of paper and places it on the desk where all four of you can see it.

"This letter was dated eight days ago." She taps the letter. "Vanthus speaks of heading to a pirate base called 'Kraken's Cove' where some smugglers were supposed to be bringing some treasure. It should be there by now. But Vanthus talked about trying to convince the pirates to let their guard down. That'll take time, even for him. If we can figure out where it is then we can send you there in a fast cutter. It must be somewhere near Sasserine. I've asked around as subtly as I can, but without much luck - though I haven't really had the time to pursue this issue properly."
Lavinia has brought out the third letter.
Last edited by Trogdor on Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:15 pm

Daerith rereads the letter, "Kraken Cove is it?" He glances up at Lavina when he gets to the part about burning people alive on their own ships, knowing the pains of loosing her parents to that sort of death is going to still hurt. "We can ask around, perhaps Lucky John knows of someone that's heard of the place, or even this new fellow you said you hired on." The knocking on the door of Sindu's arrival makes Daerith glance up, "Perhaps that him now?"
I hope no one missed the cross post with Daerith and Sindu back up a bit.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:36 pm

It is, of course, Sindu, not the new man Lavinia has spoken of. Once greetings have been made, Lavinia offers some additional information. "The man we're waiting for is Chanur von Drak. He worked for my parents." Her face clouds at the memory of their deaths. "In fact, he would have been killed with them had he not suffered a bout of jungle fever right before they set sail. I had to let him go once I found out the shocking state of the Vanderboren. But I've made some inquiries and hope I may be able to catch him before he leaves town on another ship."

"Chanur's a resourceful man and one that I trust. Father trusted him implicitly, and aside from his blind spot with Vanthus, I trust father's judgment. Also, Chanur knows how to handle a ship. I was hoping we could get him to pilot the cutter I was hoping to send you to Kraken's Cove in - that is, assuming we can figure out where Kraken's Cove is."

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:57 pm

Pondering what might be going on with Lavinia, Lady Vanderboren he corrects himself. Perhaps things are looking up for the family, maybe she got a big sailing job after all? He does not want to consider the alternative. He enjoyed working for her family they were very good to them, and he owes her what ever help he can give.

Sauntering up to the estate door, he rings the bell and announces to whom ever answers the door with a bow and a flourish.

"Chanur Von'Drak , here to see Lady Vanderboren if it pleases her!"

Chanur will wait and follow who ever he is supposed to. Making sure his clothes are suitably flashy he is eager to meet Lavinia, Lady Vanderboren he chides himself.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:15 pm

A footman answers the door and ushers the half-elf into the foyer. "You're expected, sir," he says politely, then pulls a cord near the doorway. Soon thereafter an elderly halfling woman comes out from where he knows the kitchens are.

"Good morning, Chanur," she says. "It's good to see a friendly face again." He recognizes her as Kora Whistlegap, who has been the Vanderboren housekeeper for as long as Chanur was working for the house. He's met her several times when meetings were held at the house. "The Lady is expecting you. She's in the study." Then Kora brings you over to the study and ushers you in.

Standing behind Lord Vanderboren's desk is Lavinia Vanderboren. You've only met her once before, since she was at school the only times you visited the house. That one time was when she regretfully told you that she couldn't keep you on after the death of her parents and the loss of a ship. She has a pleasing combination of her mother and father's looks. Standing opposite her are a man, a dwarf, and an elf, none of whom you've met before.

Lavinia looks over as the door opens. "Chanur," she says warmly. "I'm glad you received my messages. I'd like to talk to you about the possibility of rehiring you. Please, come in and meet the others."
Welcome to the game, Chanur!

Please introduce yourselves and give a proper description of your characters.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:37 pm

The elf sitting in one of the plush red chairs of the study has a glass of wine in his hands and appears to be a bit more refined than the man or the dwarf in the room. He wears a nice set of clothing with a cut that is only slightly out of fashion by a month or two. His most striking feature is his stark white hair that is currently braided down his back and out of his face. On his hip he wears a long curved elven blade decroated with runic designs in an ancient language. He stands when Chanur enters and offers the man a bow, "I am Daerith Amlyn, Eldritch Knight Extordinare, and house guest and faithful confidant of Lady Lavinia Vanderboren." He narrows his eyes sizing up the man that's just entered, and while he's polite, there is a tiny hint of worry in his face at the flashly dressed and obviously charming and well mannered man.
Image .. Image

Trog or Chanur if you need a map token made get me the image.

Also WELCOME to the game Chanur!