Chapter Two - To Kraken's Cove

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Re: Questions and Answers

Post by Chanur » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:22 am

Chanur winces as he touches his most recent and still raw wound.

"Can anyone patch me up here? Please? Sounds like Vanthus isn't here, we should get out of here and see a priest about getting cured."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:34 am

Daerith listens to the Captain's tale. "Well then, the Black Pearl was a magical relic... wasn't sure just what it was, could have been a ship, we only got bits and pieces from Vanthu's lady, before we had to kill her." Daerith paces the chamber, looking at the dead men that weren't mutant beasts. "Look Captain, we came here looking for Vanthus, and now we are in the same boat as you, so to speak. We need to get out of here, and find him, after curing this disease, but I fear what the outcome of this Black Pearl might have for further reaching effects. We faced mutants monkies and other animals miles from here." He kicks over one of the bones. "The ships in the harbor, that aren't burnt." He pauses to think how to say this. "There might be enough of us to sail it out of the harbor, together. If Vanthus fled on a ship, we're going to need one to chase him." He glances at Chanur, "Chanur's a hell of a sailor, but a Captain like you could really set us straight on a course for revenge."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:01 am

"Yer a real sweet talker, ain't ye?" Captain Javell says to Daerith. "But let me tell ye, me course fer revenge is set already." She smiles a smile of self-satisfaction. "When that lousy cur decided t'foul me business, he crossed the wrong person. I know who he is 'n where he comes from. Th' Vanderboren name's no secret t'me. I know he's got family'n holdin's in Sasserine. Right afore things got messy in here, I gone 'n sent me right hand Drevoraz t'deal with that rat Vanthus. Drevoraz is on his merry way t'Sasserine as we speak. He'll do fer Vanthus's sister, his mum and pop and any other family or friends that bastard has in that dunghill of a city. He crossed th' Crimson Fleet boyo. 'N when ye do that, we take everythin' ye got from ye. Best no t'ferget that."

"So ye c'n see, I ain't got no reason t'go back t'Sasserine right now. I'll keep lookin' fer Vanthus t'make 'im pay fer what he's done here. But until then, he'll see ev'rythin' he holds dear destroyed without nothin' he c'n do 'bout it."

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:11 am

"Ye might be doin 'im a favor by killin his sister ye know. And his mom and pop he already murdererd those. He's a double crossin bastard i can tell ya, a no good kinslayer." Berek decides to leave their own loyalties to house Vanderboren unrevealed for the moment to see how Javell reacts to this piece of information.
Big Pimpin...

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:42 am

"And what about healing your ailment," Wavedancer says to the woman, his deep blue lips moving slowly as he contemplates his own fate. "Fin is the only priest I know," he admits, "And I gather he cannot help me rid myself of whatever infects my blood. Either we head for Sasserine, or somewhere else that might offer a cure ..."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:52 am

Captain Javell narrows her eyes. "Ye say he be wantin' his sister dead? An' he done killed his mum and pop?" She looks at each of you for a moment then shakes her head, apparently satisfied that you're telling the truth. "Well curse me fer a lubber. I sure as hell don't want ta be helpin' that bastard out. But I thought them Vanderboren's was rich? If'n he's killed his folks, ain't some o' that money his? Guy like Vanthus, I figger that'd be why he offed 'em t'begin with."

Then she looks over at Wavedancer. "Yer friend Fin ain't th' only priest in these parts. Th' Crimson Fleet has a few what help us out. An' a few more what owe ol' Cap'n Javell a favor or two. It's sweet that ye care. But don't ye be worryin' 'bout me. I c'n take care o' meself. Sasserine may be where th' lot o' ye need t'go fer a cure. But not me."

arkahm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by arkahm » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:02 am

"I would think we need to get back to Sasserine then." Sindu says to the rest of his group. "It appears our new "friend" here has unwittingly put our Lady in danger. We must get back as fast as we can. I would figure Vanthus would return there. Perhaps since he may not know the demise of the Lotus Guild, he would still seek out that wretch of a woman." he says, refering to Vanthus' mistress Rowyn.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:40 pm

Daerith's diplomatic face drops, and the rage building in his blood from the mutation takes over. "YOU WHAT!?" He steps right up to the captain, not caring if she cuts him down, or what she thinks of him now. "You idiot! Vanthus's Sister is the one that sent us after Vanthus in the first place! We have to stop Drevoraz! I swear Captain if he hurts one hair on Lavina's head, you and I will have a serious problem, you understand me?" He doesn't care anymore if he pisses this pirate off or not. "Vanthus killed is parents and tried to put his sister in the poor house, but we stopped him, you understand, Vanthus has no family, no one he holds dear, the last one that cared for him died back in those caves to our blades. That whore is dead, as dead as Drevoraz will be when I catch up to him if he so much as looks at Lavina wrong!" Daerith's fuming, he has his hand clutched on on hilt of his blade. He tries to keep himself from getting any more enraged for the moment.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:04 pm

Harliss tenses at being yelled at, a natural precaution for a pirate who never knows when an argument will turn into a melee. Her hand moves toward her rapier, and for a moment you see a rage in her eyes that matches your own. The rage of a captain being challenged. For a moment it seems like a fight is inevitable. But then the tension in her shoulders eases and Captain Javell lets out a snort of appreciative laughter.

"Ye may be a lubber," she says. "But ye ain't no mealy-mouthed shop-keeper, I'll give ye that. Like I said with yer dwarf friend, I appreciate a fella what stands up fer what he believes in. As ye c'n see, I'm a fiery sort meself." She holds up a hand. "But yer right, I weren't thinkin' proper when I sent Drevoraz back t'Sasserine." She rubs the back of her neck and head. "Since I got bit it's been hard t'think straight sometimes. It's like I just want t'kill whatever gets in me way. Thinkin' 'bout Vanthus just made me want t'strike back at him. I shoulda thought that a bastard like that wouldn't care shit 'bout his fam'ly."

Captain Javell looks at the group of you through narrowed eyes for a moment as if she's considering something. Finally she speaks. "The lot of ye've played fair with me, an' ye helped me out in me time o' need. I still think I'd a made it outa here on me own. But ye never know. I've seen a bit o' ill luck end fights badly afore. Besides, no way ye'd have known that. So yer good deed deserves some'in."

She nods, her decision made. "If'n we c'n find some paper that ain't spattered with blood, I'll write ye a note fer Drevoraz, tellin' him t'call off th' attack." Then she reaches up and takes off one of her marilith earrings. "Give him this too." She hands the earring to Daerith. "It's a sign 'tween us that any message he gets is fer real. If ye don't show this to him, he'll ignore the note. All I ask is that ye let me have me first mate back. He's a member of me crew and a good one at that."

"Now he was gonna go down the coast a bit," she adds, "an' see if he could get a bullywug tribe we know t'help in th' attack. So he ain't goin' straight t'Sasserine. So if ye hurry, ye might beat him, though he's a good sailor an' ain't many could outsail him. Gotta wanr ye, though, those bullywugs is a nasty sort. Ye c'n trust Drevoraz once he sees th' note. But I wouldn't turn me back on any o' th' bullywugs."

"Fer what it's worth," she says at last, looking almost friendly, "I am sorry that I sent me first mate after yer lady friend. An' I do hope ye get t'her in time. But this is the best I c'n do fer ye."
You've all heard of bullywugs. They're one of those humanoid frog-like creatures, kind of like amphibious sahaugin. Not inherently evil, but typically pretty savage and amoral.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:09 pm

Daerith backs off when the Captain does, "I... I know what you mean. I can feel my blood boiling at every provocation." He calms down a bit, and takes the earing. "I have pen and parchment, here." He goes into his pack, putting the earing away and giving the Captain his ink and parment paper to write on. "Perhaps we should try and intercept your First Mate at the Bullywugs? If they are close enough, we could prevent the attack from getting off the ground." He struggles a moment, but offers, "Vanthus has made a real mess of things. I.. I don't blame you for wanting to get back at him, even if it means through his family." He looks to Chanur, "Think you and the rest of us can handle one of those ships out in the harbor Mr. Von'drak? Might be better than the sloop we have now, perhaps tow that behind us?"
Let her use my ink and parchment. Take earing.

Sheet updated.