Chapter Two - To Kraken's Cove

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Re: A Hasty Retreat

Post by Chanur » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:23 am

"More room for treasure Berek!"

Chanur grins at his dwarven friend.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:48 am

Wavedancer goes about making ready. Obviously, this was not his primary job upon whatever ship he came from. He is a sorcerer after all, and sorcerer's on a ship have better things to do. "You will wish we were on the sloop if we are caught in a storm." He does not even mention being attacked, they might as well just fly the white flag as they go if they think that's a possibility.

He frowns, "We aren't going back to Sassarine then? I thought we were seeking a priest? Head off the first mate before he made it to your ... benefactor or whatever she is."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:38 pm

"Aye an me plans to collect plenty! After all i still owe that greedy ol grey beard a handsome sum an without it he ain't makin me my magic shield!"
Big Pimpin...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:01 pm

Daerith wipes his brow, "We come back for the Sloop after we save Lavina then! It should be safe enough here, unless those mutant monkeys learn to sail." He turns to Wavedancer, "We are heading for Sasserine, to cut off Devoraz in Sasserine. Captain Harliss said we'd never catch him in the jungle, and without our pygmy friend Shumba I tend to agree. So we race for the city, and to secure Lavina. We can get a priest later to heal us." He turns to Fin, "If Procan grants you the power of Restoration, that might be helpful between now and then. It won't cure us, it could keep the rage at bay. I'm all out of potions now, but the one I had did help."
Lesser Restoration worked for us before, Daerith still is suffering -2 INT which hurts his spell casting some right now.

Lesser Restoration is a 2nd Level Cleric spell, Fin as a 4th Level Cleric should be able to cast 2 of them, +1 if is Wis is high enough, but its unlikely hsi domain spell is Lesser Restoration. Still, come morning, after we fail some saves, this could be key to keeping us in the fight.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Chanur » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:16 am

Chanur man's the wheel, keeping an eye on everything on the deck. He thinks this trip back would be a good time to get to know Fin and Wavedancer better and plan our next move.
Chanur intends to set the ship up for maximum speed to Sasserine once on the open water.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

The Rush Home

Post by Trogdor » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:19 am

It takes little time to get the Sea Wyvern ready for sea; the ship was mostly ready when the black pearl wreaked havoc on Kraken's Cove. It takes a bit longer to get out of the cove, what with Chanur being unfamiliar with the waters and half of you being unfamiliar with shipboard tasks. The delay is maddening for all of you, but eventually you're out onto the open water of Blood Bay and on your way back to Sasserine.

The weather is calm and the winds favorable, which is a comfort to you all. But nagging at the back of your minds is the fact that the wind and weather have been just as favorable for the bullywugs heading to attack Lavinia. You pass the time resting from your rough day - at least as much as you can onboard a working, undermanned ship - and with those knowledgable about ships showing the others the ropes. By the end of the journey you're all feeling better and everyone has at least a rudimentary grasp of the basics of seaboard life.

You sail through the night, blessing the nearly full moon, and it's the middle of the morning as you catch sight of Sasserine in the distance. The next hour will tell you whether you've been fast enough or whether Lavinia Vanderboren has paid the price for your delay.
This chapter Ends. I'll start a new one next week. Feel free to back post some RP on the ship. I won't shut this thread down until after the next one has started.

As I noted, everyone goes up to 4th level. I think you've all updated your sheets. You have time to rest and memorize new spells. And during the course of the trip Daerith and Wavedancer can easily identify Kigante's ring as a ring of swimming.
DC 14 Fort save; failure results in 1d6 Int loss
Berek: 26, success
Chanur: 16, success
Daerith: "1", fail, lose 4 INT
Fin: not diseased
Sindu: 17, success
Wavedancer: 23, success
Everyone gets normal healing. And Fin had three 1st level spells that he could sacrifice for CLW. So I spread those out as best I could. This does not take into account any Lesser Restoration spells that Fin might cast. Daerith could really use one right about now!

Berek: full; 11 INT (-5)
Chanur: 28/33 12 INT (-2)
Daerith: full; 14 INT (-6)
Fin: full; not diseased
Sindu: 34/39; 10 INT (-2)
Wavedancer: full; 9 INT (-5)

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Re: The Rush Home

Post by Chanur » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:06 am

Filling in some RP like Trogdor said we could.
"Fin, Wavedancer, I would like to know more about you. How did you meet? How did you get captured?"

Chanur fondles the handle of his new rapier, with an almost absent minded look on his face until he seems to snap to when he asks his question.

Max_Power
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Max_Power » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:45 am

Finally in safety Fin walks next to Chanur and offers his services as a healer. He places his hands on Chanur and concentrates his energys on closing his wounds.
Use Cure light wounds to heal Chanur three times.
Fin uses the rest of the evening day to meditate.
At the next day when asked about his past he replies," I have worked on a ship named Oliphant as a chirurgeon and part chaplain. On the ship I met Wavedancer for the first time. After abou three days on sea we were attacked by pirates during the night. they took us by surprise and overtook us easily. After that they brought us to the cave and locked us in a storeroom.
Max Power - "Kids, there's three ways to do things; the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power way!"
Children - "Isn't that the wrong way?"
Max Power - "Yeah, but faster!"

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:39 pm

Berek's been aship before, more than once as a matter of fact. While the ocean is clearly not the place Beronar had in mind for her kin getting on the water was inevitable if one hailed from Sasserine and was involved in all manner of illicit dealings. Thus Berek helps out Chanur as best he can, he surely couldn't maneuver the vessel, but he's sturdy enough to climb the mast in full sail and can do whatever else he's told.
Big Pimpin...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:18 pm

Daerith is a quick study, he picks up some of the more techincal aspects of the ship, and in theory he understands what needs to happen to make the sails work and the ship move. In practice he's only mediocre at it. He seems to let his mind wander when he shouldn't. Distracted by the possiblity that Lavina is dead, he can't help but forget to tie something off when he should, or doesn't duck at the right time nearly getting hit with a swinging yard arm. As the day goes on, and the night arrives he grows more and more agitated, and soon that quick study is turning into a forgetful mind altogether. He snaps at Berek at the slightest provocation, "You ignorant dwarf! Watch what you are doing!" He yells at Berek when something goes wrong that is clearly not Berek's fault.

Finally too upset to be of help he heads to bed under Chanur's order, and takes one of the private rooms on the deck below, regardless of what the others say, growling at anyone that suggests the room is for someone else. All the signs of the mutation taking greater hold on him are obvious.

Come morning he wakes even worse than when he went to bed. "Damn this rocking ship!" "What the hell is there to eat on this deathtrap!" "How am I expected to read my spellbook in all this turbulance!" He curses and snarls at people that try and help him, and scratching at his chest and arms, he's trying hard to fight the mutation, but he's loosing a battle to it. Something will need to be done to slow the progress in him if he's going to be any help in saving Lavina.

He has horded a few magical items taken from the caves as well, as you might find out, he has the magical studded leather in his quarters now as well, and a silver ring made to look like jumping fish on the crest of a wave. He does at some point manage to be clear headed enough to approach Wavedancer. "Here! You might get more use out of this than I will!" He hands the sorcerer a slender obsidian wand, "Mage Armor....command..." he twitches, "....command phrase is: Alum, vector armorium!" He then stalks the deck looking for something physical to do to get his agression out.

When Sasserine is spotted, he heads below deck to get his armor on and pack his things, to get ready to head ashore.
Fin! Please cast a Lesser Restoration on Daerith! Thanks. (maybe 2) I'm pretty useless with my Int this low.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring