Chapter Two - The Wormfall Festival

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Into the Atrium - Round 6

Post by Trogdor » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:52 am

Sindu moves over the pebbled ground and around the bullywug, taking care to try and avoid attack as he does so. But the gravel is a bit harder to move over than he expected, and he's unable to dodge as effectively as he thought he might. The bullywug sees the opportunity to strike when it comes, and takes it. But he's also in a worse spot than he expected. A previous fight earlier in the day followed by a quick turnaround now have tapped him mentally and physically. His swing is strong but not accurate, destroying a small side table rather than its intended target of the agile monk.

Repying to this attack, Sindu snaps a punch that should render the bullywug incapacitated for a moment if it hits. However, ill fortune seems to have descended on this fight as he too fails to hit his target.

Fin, Daerith, and Berek ponder what they might do to win fortune's favor in this conflict.
Sindu moves to flank Lorpth.
Acrobatics check (DC 19): 17, fail
Lorpth takes power attack of opportunity: 10, miss
Sindu attacks Lorpth w/ last Stunning Fist (+2 F): 15, miss
Round 6: Berek 24, Lorpth 21, Sindu 15, Fin 13, Daerith 7

Characters in bold have already acted this round.

Effects
Daerith: Shield (through round 10)
Daerith: has Chill Touch for his next 3 attacks
All good guys: Bless, +1 on attack and saves vs. fear (through round 11)
Lorb-Lorb: -2 Dex (=-1 AC); -4 to use off hand; fled
Pebbly terrain remains until Daerith acts on round 8
Web remains for a half hour
Berek: 37/48
Daerith: full
Fin: 27/35
Sindu: full

Lorb-Lorb: -56
Lorpth: -15 [-7 NL]
Chunkus: -19 [-11 NL]; unconscious
The green part of the map is difficult (pebbly) terrain; and the purple part is webbing.

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:32 pm

With chunkus guncked brai sticking to his boots Berek moves to attack the last viable target in the room. But insted of poking it with his pointy stick he rushes in with his shield arm whacking the frogman to press him into the wall.
Move SSS. Shield bach lorphlorph. Attempt bull rush
Last edited by mackaber on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Pimpin...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Daerith cringes when the side table is turned into kindling, "Hey! That was expensive!" He is starting to get tired of theese frog men, espcially this one that resists all attempts at being struck down. With a stab he strikes with the cold purple glow of Torothalion, the chill of the blade coming off in waves. The moment he finishes the strike his hand sparks to life, "relevo manus manus vulnero vos nocens." A crackling electrical power covers his free hand and he reaches out to zap the frogman with it, the tiny arcs of lightning reaching, seeking, desiring the things metal armor and weapon. The popping zapping of the spell brusts and is then silent.
Spellcombat

Flanking

Attack with Torothalion (Arcane Strike), Chill Touch 2/4 Rounds

Cast Shocking Grasp, Use Pearl of Power to Recast it

SHEET UPDATED
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Into the Atrium - Combat Over!

Post by Trogdor » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:41 pm

At the rate the bullywug was going, Daerith knew that Lavinia would have no furniture left in the atrium before long. And that wouldn't do at all. Calling forth yet more magic into his already enchanted blade, Daerith charges it with electricity as well as the cold of death. Then he strikes out with a devastating blow that simultaneously opens a large cut in the bulywug's side, crisps its hide with a large electrical burn, and freezes some of the life out of it. That it shrugs off the associated strength-draining effect is faint consolation to it. For the first time since it arrived on the scene, the bullywug chieftain actually looks worried.

Berek then moves into the unluckiest spot in the entire atrium. No one, good or bad, has been able to hit anyone from that spot. And Berek proves no different. Eschewing the rapier in his hand, he tries to pin the bullywug against the wall with his shield. But taken aback by Daerith's massive attack, the bullywug moves to the defensive and blocks the blow.

Then Fin, realizing that the bullywug is on its last legs, steps forward and stabs it with his trident. The weapon digs into the creature's chest, knocking it against the wall, where it's eyes flutter, then close. Despite its anger and its fear, this last blow is too much. Unconscious, the last of the bullywugs slumps to the ground.

A moment later, the sounds of footsteps can be heard above - human footsteps, and not the slapping of webbed bullywug feet. Running down from the third floor to the second floor landing, everyone can see Chanur and Wavedancer appear at the balcony above.
Daerith attacks with Torothalion (+2 F): 23, hit for 11 (MAX!)
Chill Touch damage: 1 (Fate gives and takes away), plus possible Str loss
Lorpth's For Save: 26, saved
Shocking Grasp: 18 damage
30 damage total!

Berek attacks Lorpth with shield: 12, miss

(Just to finish this up, I'll assume a move for Fin)
Fin moves and attacks with trident: 19, hit for 10
Lorph falls unconscious.
Round 6: Berek 24, Lorpth 21, Sindu 15, Fin 13, Daerith 7

Characters in bold have already acted this round.

Effects
Web remains for a half hour
Berek: 37/48
Daerith: full
Fin: 27/35
Sindu: full

Lorb-Lorb: -56
Lorpth: -55 [-7 NL]; unconscious
The thread A Shortcut Across the Bay rejoins the main thread here.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: Into the Atrium - Combat Over!

Post by Vardaen » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:22 pm

Daerith withdraws his balde just as Fin finishes off the chieftain of the Bullywugs. He hears feet upstairs, "Some one is coming!" He looks up just as Chanur and Wavedancer reach the balcony railing above and peer over. "Mr.Von'Drak! Wavedancer!" He raises a hand and points at the large webbing that fills the lower floor, he mutters what sounds like gibberish, Suoixelbew, nuinnipsni, poksuireda., which is in fact the spell casting in reverse, and the web vanishes. He looks back up at the pair, "I take it Ms.Vanderboren is safe and sound?"
Dismiss Web, the Stone Call goes away in like 20 seconds so who cares about that.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:23 am

As the last opponent drops and his companions approach Berek kicks the bullywug chieftan once more for good measure, then turns his eyes wide tears already running down his cheeks. He scream out loudly in a guttural shout of agony as if he had been wounded mortally. and slumps on the ground holding on to a corroded piece of wood as he whimpers: "Berta... Berta... Berta... how could they do this to me... ye was such a kind soul... Beronar hold ye dear me beloved... ye was wit me ever since I was a little dwarfling... and now ye gone... Berta...."
Clearly Berek is totally miserable as if one of his dearest friends or perhaps even a lover had passed away.
Big Pimpin...

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:09 am

Hurrying down the stairs Chanur see's his companions and puts on a smile that quickly changes to concern at Berek's out burst.

"Berek are you hurt?!"

arkahm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by arkahm » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:49 am

With the battle finished, Sindu turns his attention to his separated companions. "Did you manage to find Lady Lavina? Is she secure?" He attempts to hide his concern, as Wee Jas taught him, but a slight worry crosses his face as he quickly resumes his composure. "We have killed many of the intruders here. Did you encounter any in your trip here?" He turns to Berek with a consoling look. "I am sorry for your loss, Berek. We will see if the Lady can procure you a new axe. I know it will not replace Berta, but I am sure she can get you a good, and perhaps magical, one." He begins to search the one that appeared to be the leader of the frog-men for anything that may be of value to their quest, paying particular attention to finding things such as keys, parchments, and scrolls.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:49 am

Wavedancer looks down, "She is fine. Though there is another that requires healing." He does not say who that might be. "If everything is settled there," the elf says, looking at all the dead bullywugs, he simply waves for them to come up the stairs and join he and Chanur.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:57 am

Daerith looks over at Berek, and his hand rests on the hilt of Torothalion. He knows how he would feel if his blade was destroyed. "Berek, you have my sincerest condolences, it was a fine weapon, and deserved a better end that that. I... I am sorry." He then leaves the dwarf to grieve over the death of Berta. "Lavina is alright then? Thank Procan for that! If there are others wounded in the house..." he tries to puzzle that together, "...Mrs.Whistlegap? Her maid servant?" He can only think of one member of the household that would have been here at the time, the little halfling woman.

"I must go Lavina and see she is alright with my own eyes!"

With that Daerith takes off up the stairs to find Lavina.
Go find her, and i'm not diswaded or slowed by anything but Lavina herself.