Chapter Two - A Shortcut Across the Bay

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Chapter Two - A Shortcut Across the Bay

Post by Trogdor » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:53 am

This thread is for Chanur and Tet-Nak, following the side adventure of Chanur and Wavedancer as they try and get to the Vanderboren Estate more quickly by swimming under the harbor
The others have disappeared into the crowd, and Chanur and Wavedancer have lowered themselves into the water. The earring and letter are wrapped up in oiled sailcloth, save enough for a glass or so before it's in any real danger of becoming waterlogged. Both adventurers are perfectly at home in the water and they stay on the surface almost effortlessly. Chanur takes deep breaths to prepare himself for the comparatively long underwater journey ahead of him.

All that remains is for the two of thm to decide exactly how they want to try this. There's the question of how deep they want to go, and how far they'll try and make it without surfacing. Deeper into the harbor, and longer before they surface will be safest, of course. But there's only so long Chanur can hold his breath. And if the going isn't smooth, a more ambitious route might take them up into the middle of the ships. And that would not sit well with the harbor patrol.
After further consideration, I'm willing to say that Wavedancer's scroll case is waterproof (or at least mostly so). It's probably something like oiled sailcloth. It's probably not 100% effective. But it's unlikely to destroy the message. I'm willing to say that the inks and papers used by the pirates are of the sort that can survive a dunking when wrapped in oiled sailcloth. You wouldn't want to leave it underwater for an extended period. But five minutes underwater won't destroy it. You'd all recognize it as such.

I PM'ed V and he said he'd give Wavedancer the letter too.

FWIW, I've also assumed that Wavedancer's scrolls are waterproof. I'll also say that you can get scrolls made on waterproof material when they're made in this area. It only makes sense.
Basially, it will all hinge on a Swim check on Wavedancer's part to determine how far he can get before Chanur has to start making Con checks. You guys are good enough that Wavedancer can surface on the round that Chanur fails. He'll be at 0 HP, but will quickly recover back to full (or wherever he's at) once he can breath.

Chanur will get to make an Aid Another check with Swim, but with a twist. If he makes a DC 10, Wavedancer will get a +2, like normal. But for every +5 DC he beats, Wavedancer will get an additional +1. For example, if Chanur rolls a 22 on his Swim check, Wavedancer will get a +4 on his roll. This is basically how well Chanur keeps himself aquadynamic.

You'll also have a choice of how deep to go: just below the surface, midway, or on the bottom. Just below the surface will take the least amount of time but has a good chance of you being seen. On the bottom gives no chance of being seen, but takes the longest time to travel. Midway splits the difference. My basic calculations are based on the assumption that you're going midway. But the other two are options if you want to.
Last edited by Trogdor on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Re: Chapter Two - A Shortcut Across the Bay

Post by Chanur » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:13 am

I would think midway is likely the best way, and if we have to surface in the shadow of a large ship would be preferred.
"I think midway down would be best Wavedancer, but I leave it to your expertise. "

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:20 am

Wavedancer nods, "I believe that shall work. If we are seen this will all be for not."
Midway
"We will not be able to surface once we do this. I shall attempt to help you along by swimming just above you, and aiding you when needed.

The aquan elf looks at Chanur, "Are you ready, captain?"
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Chanur » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:59 am

"I am ready when you are Wavedancer, lead on."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:14 pm

Wavedancer waits for Chanur to take a deep breath and them goes underwater as the newly crowned captain does. Wavedancer swims down to a depth where they shouldn't be able to be seen. He stays slightly behind Chanur to help him along.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:03 pm

I may have been a bit unclear in my description. For this to work, Wavedancer has to actually pull Chanur along. How long you can hold your breath depends on whether you're engaging in activity. Essentially, you can hold your breath twice as long if you aren't taking any action than if you are.

If he has to swim, Chanur won't be able to hold his breath long enough. But if Wavedancer does the swimming and pulls Chanur along, then Chanur can hold his breath twice as long and has a decent chance of making it.

I'll adjust your actions accordingly
Determined to take the middle route, Wavedancer and Chanur prepare. Mostly this involves Chanur taking several very deep breaths to maximize his time underwater. Then he gives Wavedancer a nod and the half-sea-elf grabs him by the collar and dives.

Wavedancer pulls Chanur about halfway down to the bottom, out of easy view, and starts swimming. Dodging fish and the occasional anchor chain, Wavedancer moves with surprising speed and agility, recalling for a moment the swimming races he participated in when he was younger. Chanur, a skilled swimmer in his own right, angles his body perfectly to keep his drag to a minimum. The two make it across the harbor faster than either expected. And by the time Chanur taps Wavedancer's hand to let him know that they need to surface soon, they're nearly at the Merchant District docks.

And soi it is that Wavedancer surfaces underneath one of the docks on the north side of the Merchant District, just as Chanur is certain his lungs are going to burst. Looking back at the collected boats in the harbor, the two swimmers can see almost every head looking up as an attractive dancer in flowing silks executes an aerial ballet above the water, the first of the many entertainers that are responsible for the harbor being closed off. Their passage has gone entirely unnoticed as even the harbor patrol enjoys the show above.

It takes several minutes before Chanur feels able to move again. But in time, his breathing slows and he feels back to normal. Past most of the crowds, Chanur and Wavedancer must plan their approach to an estate that may or may not be controlled by pirates or bullywugs.
Chanur's Aid Another Swim check: 22, success, grants Wavedancer a +4
Wavedancer's Swim check: 42!

Collective perception check of observers: 3

Well, that went about as well as it possibly could for you guys. That was so good, I'm not even going to make Chanur take any Con checks.

Let me know how you want to proceed.
This gives you a general idea of the terrain.
This represents what Chanur knows about the inside of Vanderboren Manor.

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Chanur » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:10 pm

Thankful it went so well, and happy Wavedancer is such an amazing swimmer, Chanur catches his breath and puts his boots back on.

"Thank you friend, we are not far from the Vanderboren estate, I think we should head straight through the allies and cross the docks, it should not take long for us to get there. They will know me, and let us in. What do you think?
I am for taking the most direct/quickest route.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:25 pm

Wavedancer nods, "I see no reason we should not. I shall follow your lead." The pair are soaked, but have arrived where they wanted and quickly. "I hope this will give us some headway on the bullywugs." The half-elf prepares to follow the captain to the estate.

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Chanur » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:05 am

Chanur now rested sets off in the most direct route to the estate. His hand reaches up to subconsciously adjust his wide brimmed hat only to remember its not there.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:16 pm

Wavedancer and Chanur are dripping wet as they make their way through the Merchant District. But no one seems to give them much more than a glance. There are crowds in the streets and even more entertainers than in Shadowshore. This last fact doesn't surprise them. This area of town is much more prosperous; it makes sense that it would have a higher quality and quantity of entertainment.

As they approach Vanderboren Manor, the two men see a pair of dancers performing in colorful costumes, a half-dozen stilt-walkers towering above the crowds and passing daggers and flaming torches between them, a colorful half-orc playing some native music on a steel drum, an acrobat performing intricate flips and leaps, stalls selling food and trinkets, and even a few games where you could win a copper by knocking over some stacked bottles or hitting a target with a dart.

The streets are filled with people, distractions, and noise. No one pays the two of them any particular attention, allowing them to get to the front gate of the manor without any trouble. As they pass through the gate, the sounds dampen a bit, the walls of the grounds offering the estate some solitude, even in the middle of a festival. A few steps will lead Chanur and Wavedancer to the front door, and who knows what beyond.
I've finally decided that I just can't get around using the term "men" on occasion. I mean it in the sense of 'male intelligent beings' not 'racial humans.' I'm tired of the verbal gymnastics avoiding the term.