Chapter Three - A Modest Proposal

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: More Passengers

Post by Trogdor » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:53 am

The matter of Avner is discussed, and agreement reached. None of you like him, but for Lavinia's sake and the sake of the expedition, you all agree to at least put up with him. And as much as the thought of seeing him swab the deck for three months sounds appealing, you all relegate that to the world of your daydreams.

The meeting ends on a more positive note, however, as Daerith reveals a large, and extremely high quality, ship's flag clearly meant to represent a Sea Wyvern. Such flags are often used to identify a ship, a mercantile entity, or even an adventuring party. This flag, perhaps, does all three. When the Sea Wyvern departs Sasserine tomorrow, it will do so in style.
I don't want this to bog down too much on the whole Avner Meravanchi matter. You've learned that Avner can be an arrogant, uppity ass, with a feeling of entitlement at times. (You've seen him at his worst; he won't always be that bad.) But the Meravanchi money is needed for this expedition, and there's no easy alternate source. What's more, Zebula Meravanchi could make life very difficult for Lavinia for some time to come. As a result, several of you have given your word that Lord Maravanchi that his son will not be mistreated on the trip. You'll learn later that Lavinia will have given the same promise.

That all having been said, you've also rightly observed that you're not working for the Meravanchis; you're working for Lavinia. That means that while the Meravanchis have a great deal of say in major decisions regarding the expedition, the day-to-day running of things is under Lavinia's direct command. In other words, Avner has no authority to order you to do anything, no matter what he might say. So while slapping him in irons, forcing him into hard labor, or even confining him to his cabin would be right out, you don't need to cater to his whims either.

Furthermore, some of you have met his father and you can tell one very important thing. While Lord Maravanchi is fully committed to protecting his heir, he's also definitely willing to put limits on his son as well. You can be fairly confident that if you don't mistreat him and make sure he comes through physically okay, then you won't get penalized for denying him his every whim. He's meant to be a thorn in your side, not an anchor around your neck.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:48 pm

Daerith smiles at the captain and at the others, "We have alot of work still ahead of us, and we'll need to meet with Lavina before we leave." He let's everyone get a real good look at the flag before he rolls it up and puts it away until tomorrow morning. "Right, with all that out of the way, let's have a good trip."

He waits incase anyone else has anything to say or offer, and then he's off to work helping with passangers for the most part, getting the rooms ready, organzing where people will stay since he understand people better than hard labor. Before the day is through he checks in on Lavina a few times, her passangers, and checks to see if Shumba or Lorien heeded his call. Always in the back of his mind too is the trip to say good-bye to his mother and father.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:01 am

"Daerith , 1 last thing before you go. We should be able to arrange for you and Lavina to travel back and forth between the two ships on the trip."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:47 am

Wavedancer only shakes his head at Chanur's comment. "I will be on deck," he says, leaving and making his departure. The elf is clearly irritated that preparing the ship seems to be the last thing on everyone's mind.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:38 am

Berek busies himself i getting the ship loaded and uses both his brain and brawn in the process while also seeing that all their passengers are happy. While speaking with people he also figures out which of the passengers are able and willing to bear arms in the case of an emergency.
Big Pimpin...

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Chanur » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:44 am

"We got a lot of work to do, let's turn too."
Chanur heads out on deck and works on getting things stowed and secured for the trip.

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:14 am

Still irritated at the dandies, Fin goes to help the crew on deck. Some honest work should get his mind off of the day's unpleasantness.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:19 pm

Daerith nods to Chanur, "I figured as much Captain, we do have a row boat after all." He smiles and then heads up with the others to deal with the passangers and get things moving along.
I think we are done with this bit Trog.

I hope Fin's irritation at the "dandies" is a slip of the fingers, cause we only have 1 dandy on board, Avner.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Chanur » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:07 am

On the deck stowing items and making sure things are secured to the ship Chanur wonders out loud.

"I wonder when the cook is getting here. She needs to hurry up and get the galley in order."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:06 am

The rest of the day passes with everyone focusing on the important work of getting the ship ready to sail. Supplies are stowed, passengers are routed to their proper cabins, and all last minute purchases or goodbyes are made in Sasserine. Those who wish to can have a last dinner ashore for weeks to come.

Those staying at Vanderboren Manor, or perhaps just wandering through at the right time, will see that Zebula Meravanchi arrives in mid-morning for a meeting with Lavinia in her study. Each has a man of finance in attendance, indicating that its primary purpose is to go over some of the last details of the finances of the expedition. She emerges looking as tired as ever, and perhaps a little exasperated.

Nevertheless, final preparations continue. Eventually you all stow the last of your things in your cabins, Vanderboren Manor is left in the care of a friend of Lavinia's who will look after it while you are all in Farshore, and all goodbyes have been made. Lavinia is with you all on the great cabin of the Sea Wyvern making a few last preparations with you before the two ships depart.

At present, it's an hour or so before you must depart, and everyone is onboard both ships, save three people, all from the Sea Wyvern. One is the ship's cook, who has been working with Amella to get the stores together and has come aboard by night to make sure the galley is properly supplied and stowed, the other two are Avner and his younger servant. Word has been sent to the Meravanchi Estate, but so far with no result. His valet has been on board for hours, getting his cabin in order and has no information to offer.

"I'm sorry for the trouble with Avner," Lavinia says. "I'd take him onboard the Blue Nixie with me, but for a few things. He could do more mischief there, for one thing. On the Sea Wyvern, I have him isolated from the people I don't want him getting to cozy with, or at least bothering. For another thing, if he were on the Blue Nixie with me day after day, it would only be a matter of time before he made a real play for me; I"m not sure if you know his reputation." She shakes her head and rolls her eyes. "He'd either get hostile to me when I shut his efforts down, or lie about false success. Either result would bring with it a lot of trouble. But on the Sea Wyvern that issue shouldn't come up."

"Lord Meravanchi spoke with me about it this morning," Lavinia adds. "And I understand he had words with a few of you yesterday. I've given my word that Avner won't be mistreated. But that doesn't mean that he has to be pampered either. Treat him with respect and keep him safe. But don't feel that you have to cater to his whims. He's not in charge of this expedition; I am. I know that; and Zebula knows that. If Avner hasn't figured it out yet, well, that's his problem."

Lady Vanderboren might have said more, but just then there's a knock on the cabin door. "Beggin' yer pardon, captain," Gaed says, opening the door. "But th'cook's reportin' fer duty. Said she wanted to check in with you. And he opens the door the rest of the way to reveal a creature that some of you have met before, the kobold cook Churtle who until several weeks ago was the cook for the Lotus-Dragons.

"Churtle sorry she late," the kobold says, "but was getting last bits of fresh food for journey." She smiles a big toothy grin. "You be happy for delay when you taste what Churtle cook for you."
Please post any last things you want to do in Sasserine. The next post or two will take us to departure.