Chapter Three - A Modest Proposal

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: More Passengers

Post by Trogdor » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:53 pm

Stepping into the parlor, Daerith sees his mother and father much as he left them so long ago. Both are seated in the parlor with cups of tea next to them. Daeriths' mother has a piece of embroidery she's working on, while Daerith's father is examining a scroll. Both looking a bit startled as Daerith enters.

His mother reacts first, standing and saying, "why Daerith, what a surprise. It's been far too long since you've visited."

His father is only a step behind. "I see you're still using your grandfathers sword," he says. "At least you've enchanted it." He narrows his eyes for a moment before saying , "is it at least your own work, or did you hire it out?" Then, almost as an afterthought he looks over to the table with the tea on it and says, "tea for one." Immediately an unseen servant begins preparing a cup of tea and a plate of small cakes for Daerith. Let it never be said that the elder Amlyn was impolite.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:26 pm

Daerith steps and gives his mother a hug, "I've been busy mother, perhaps you've heard?" He steps back and nods to his father, "It is my own work. Grandfather's blade was eager to be enchanted, there is depth to Torothalion's potential." The Unseen Servant, it was like a nanny to Daerith, and he's comfortable and at ease around it. Many children have imaginary or invisible friends growing up, Daerith had an Unseen Servant to play with.

"I'm affraid mother I won't be able to visit for a long while. I'm leaving Sasserine. I'm going with Lavina Vanderboren to Farshore, to restock the colony and make my fortune with the Sea Wyverns. I have a ship of own now, and a company of fine men I'm working with."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:59 pm

"Oh dear," His mother says. "It's to be a long journey, I'm sure. A place like Farshore doesn't sound very close. I suppose it will be months until we see you next ... not that it will be much different than when you are in Sasserine." Her rebuke is mild, and the look on her face shows that it's not said with rancor. "Do be careful dear. And write if you can."

Daerith's father raises an eyebrow and says, "so you're a sailor now as well as a gladiator? He shakes his head. "None of this is going to help your magical training." He takes a breath. "I know I've told you this before. But you have great potential, Daerith. With proper application, you could become a great wizard. It's not too late, you know. There's still a place for you at the Witchwarden Tower. There will be time enough for adventures across the sea when your magical training is farther along. "

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:37 pm

Daerith answers his mother first, "It is a three month sail south, around the cape, to a place ominously named the Isle of Dread. We are only two ships and I don't think I'll be able to write, but I will if anyone returns here before me I promise."

Then he steels himself, and his puts up his internal mage armor against his father. "I'm handy on the ship, but I'm acting as the Navigator not a deckhand father. I'm putting all those hours in geogrphay class to good use." He wishes he could make his father proud, but he won't give in or grove either. "The Witchwarders and I are in good standing father, the Dawn Coucil too, if you cared." His broach, always on, does shimmer slightly in the magical lightof the parlor. "My magical training is being put to practical use. I did kill a dozen Lotus Dragons with it, as well as a cove full of magically mutated animals. I'm sorry you don't approve of my channeling of my magical powers, but sitting in a library all day studying what you can do with magic, I prefer to put it to good use. Besides Lavina needs me on this trip, and nothing you can say will change my mind. Can't you just be happy for me?"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:21 pm

"Lavinia," Daerith's father raises an eyebrow. "I assume you mean Lady Vanderboren?" he adds, rhetorically. "Well, well." The last comments are almost to himself.

"I don't doubt that you'll do very well in Farshore," he says, returning to the main subject at hand. "You're capable and talented. I've never said any different. If you continue down the path of the magus, I'm sure you'll prove to be an excellent magus. But there are far more with the potential to be a great magus than there are with the potential to be a great wizard. I can't help but feel that you're making a great mistake for both yourself and the world in turning away from the path of pure magic. A hundred years from now you might regret this decision; and then it will be too late."

He holds up a hand. "But we've been through this too many times before." He shakes his head. "I'd hoped that by forcing you to see what the life of a magus is like, I'd have been able to convince you to return to your original studies. I see now that was a foolish hope. You're as pig-headed as your uncle." He accepts a side-long look from Daerith's mother and adds, after a pause, "or as I am, I suppose."

"I still think you're making a mistake and throwing away great potential," he continues. "And if you've come looking for my blessings for your escapades, I can't give them. But I won't have you leave for half a year, or more, the vagaries of travel being what they are, with such a large rift between us. I won't apologize for what I did. But I will say that when you return, you're welcome to come visit the house anytime, or even move back in, if you like. Perhaps I'll do better convincing you of the wisdom of my arguments if I have the chance to speak to you more often."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:24 am

Daerith begins to fume, but his father relents some, "Yes, I can see the benefits of staying on the path of 'pure magic' father. I could raise my son with an Unseen Servant while I spend countless hours with dusty old tomes instead of my own son, and what time I do spend with him will be to berate and lord over him, what a wonderful life that will be. I suposed you'd prefer I grow up just like you then?" He scoffs, the rift can't be healed so easily and in fact Daerith digs in further, just like any rebelious teen might. "I'm never moving back here father. Never. My life is with Lavina and the Sea Wyverns now."

He steps over to his mother and gives her a long hug and kiss on the cheak. "I love you mother. When I return I'll come see you right away." He steps back and head for the door, stopping in the doorway he pauses, looks at his father, "All I ever wanted from you was your approval. I can see how young and foolish I was to think that. Nearling being killed has taught me about what's important. Now, I want nothing from you Kanavel, except for you to stay out of my life, for good." He heads to the front door, grabs his sack of things, and races back to the Sea Wyvern his heart pounding, his eyes watering, and his spirit in turmoil.
I know dad was trying, kinda, to seal the rift, but Daerith still just a rebel toward his father, and the man cant appologize Daerith can't grow up.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Departure, at last!

Post by Trogdor » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:17 am

** Back on the Sea Wyvern**

As Churtle settles herself into the nice, dark space between decks, Lavinia bids her farewells and returns to the Blue Nixie just across the pier. Moments later the shout of, "all hands to unmoor ship!" can be heard, followed by the sight of the crew of the Blue Nixie pulling up the gangway, casting off from the dock, weighing anchor, and preparing to take the ship out of Sasserine Harbor.

Chanur can only pace the quarterdeck, waiting for his last two passengers to arrive. All that can be done to prepare the ship for departure has been done. It only remains for them to cast off, as the Blue Nixie has, and they can make their way out to open sea. He'd have liked to go out at about the same time as their consort. But the tide will be ebbing for some time more, and the matter isn't urgent.

But as the crew and passengers of the Sea Wyvern watch the Blue Nixie head into the main harbor and ultimately through the narrow passage that leads out, the tension grows. All the sailors know that the tide waits for no one. And if they miss this tide, it would be half a day before they could catch another. The matter is emphasized when the sound of the evening bell echoes across the harbor. Those skilled in shipboard life know that they must leave within another glass or so, else they'll miss the tide.

Long minutes pass, and Chanur is about ready to give the order, whether or not Avner is there or not, when the sound of a dog cart being driven wildly comes from the street beyond. And sure enough, a small cart turns the corner and rushes down the dock, coming to an expert stop near the ship's gangway. It's being driven by a man in the livery of House Meravanchi, and Quenge Asper is sitting beside him.

Before the cart has even come to a full stop, Asper leaps off and moves to the back. There he helps an obviously drunk and jolly Avner out, and pulls him toward the gangway. The other man grabs a small valise from the back and moves to Avner's other side.

"Good evening to you, Captain von Drak," Avner says in a slurred voice as he gets to the top of the gangway. "You may take her out now," he adds, waving his hand generally at the exit of the harbor. At this point, Barnaby arrives and takes charge of him, urging him toward the companion ladder and his cabin below beck.

Asper looks apologetically at Chanur. "Begging your pardon, sir," he says in a low tone. "But Master Meravanchi had gone out for a farewell dinner with some of his friends, and he managed to slip away from us. It took us a good while to find him." He takes the valise from the cart driver with a brief thanks, and the man quickly departs. "The good news is that after one of these, he'll probably sleep until late in the morning watch tomorrow."
Last edited by Trogdor on Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Re: Departure, at last!

Post by Chanur » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:52 am

Chanur looks relieved at Avner finally arriving and avoiding more problems.

"Good evening Mr Meravanchi, welcome back.
Thank you Asper, it is okay, I appreciate you getting him here."

Chanur shouts out the orders to get underway.

"Raise the gangway , cast off the lines, hoist the sail lets get her out onto the open water."

arkahm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by arkahm » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:59 am

Sindu watches the young noble stumble across the gangplank. A fine representative for his father's investment, he thinks sarcastically to himself as he assists the crew taking in lines. As he heaves around on the lines, he knows somehow this will be a long, very long, three months. "All lines on deck, Captain!" He calls to Chanur as the final lines come in.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:47 pm

Wavedancer performs his duties on deck. He helps the ship be away and uses all his knowledge and skills to make sure that it is all done smoothly. He stays away from all the political mess going on around him. He is interested in the ship, and that is all, he will let the captain take care of the rest.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name