Chapter Three - Life on the Ocean's Waves

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
arkahm
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Liberty and Resupply

Post by arkahm » Fri May 27, 2011 1:02 am

Sindu awakes in the morning ready and refreshed. After tending to his morning routine with prayers and breakfast he goes to the dock to see about the resupply. Seeing the crew and dockworkers hard at work, he assists in whatever way he can. Helping to load water and foodstuffs, heaving and recoiling rope, and any other task available to him. Anyone who could see him could tell he is enjoying the life of a sailor. Hard work is good for the spirit, he tells himself as he assists in heaving a bundle of sailcloth into the hold. On periods of rest, he spends time with Kurt hoping to learn a thing or two about making repairs or modifications to the ship if need be. "It is good to have you aboard. A good wood worker is hard to find for voyages like this." After the short respite with Kurt, Sindu hurries to help the resupply again.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:14 pm

At the Docks

The day progresses and the crew of both ships earn their keep. There are barrels and barrels of food to be rowed to the ships, hauled on board, and stowed in the hold. And in the afternoon, each ship takes its turn at a nearby waterfall refilling its water barrels. Each captain is thankful for this excellent watering spot. For the thought of having to haul barrel after barrel of water onto their ships using the boats is not a happy one.

In and around the work, there is time, however, for some personal business. All of the crew have time to make purchases, and Fin takes the time to participate in the blessing of a fishing boat. The town is small enough that you run into others from the ship passing in and out of shops and markets, enjoying some fresh food, or simply taking a stroll on ground that doesn't rock beneath their feet.

Soon, the sun goes down and the other half of the crew is given liberty, and the whole process begins again, this time with a different group of people enjoying a night on shore.

At the Apothecary

"The common scrolls follow the standards set by the Witchwardens of Sasserine," Bart replies. "Those are easy enough to get. And I try and keep the most common ones in stock. Any special orders have a ten percent premium, I'm afraid. And that's subject to availability. My sources are generally amenable to the work. But I'll have to ask to make certain.

At the Crown

During the afternoon, Daerith catches Lavinia and asks for a bit of her time. She suggests lunch, and with no more excuses to prevent it, Tolin and Avner can find no reason to protest. Soon magus and noble lady are seated in a quiet corner of the Crown's dining room enjoying a light noontime meal.

"I'm sorry things are so awkward," Lavinia says as the two sip their drinks and wait for the food to arrive. "But both Tolin and Avner are very important to our mission. I don't want to lead them on. But I also don't want to upset them unnecessarily." She looks down at the table. "They've both sacrificed much to come on this mission, as have we all. And they're taking great risks to help see my dream come true. I can't afford to have either of them angry with me - or you, for that matter." She sighs and takes a drink of her wine. "And I saw at dinner last night that I'm the cause of tension between you three." Lavinia shakes her head. "Perhaps I'm better off keeping my feelings to myself for now. The success of Farshore first, then ...," she trails off. "Well, perhaps then I can turn my heart to other things."

First level scrolls cost 25 gp
Second level scrolls cost 165 gp.
Third level scrolls cost 410 gp.
Let me know what you want and I'll let you know availability.

I haven't received any PMs about purchases. Is no one looking to buy anything besides Wavedancer?

If people can give a narrative of what their second night in port is like, we can move on with the morning departure.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:29 pm

I spent most of my coins before we left so other than food, drink and inn, Daerith is fine.
At the Crown

Daerith sits with Lavina at the Crown having lunch. "First off, the tension between Avner and I started the moment he walked on the Sea Wyvern like he owned the place and wanted a private room for his horse!" He starts laughing, "The man's father may be a good man, but Avner himself is an idiot. Him and I have an understand, put forth by his father so let's not worry about that. As for Tolin, him and I spoke last night. He may be decent enough, but I don't know if you should trust him completely. I don't like that you are alone on that ship with him all the time. Not because I'm jealous, but because I saw it in his eyes last night a longing for you that's years old and becoming deserpate. Please Lavina..." he reaches across the table to touch her hand and squeeze. "...be careful with him. He's a man that might snap." He lowers his own eyes finally realizing the situation at hand. "Perhaps you have something in your words." He lets go and quickly hides his face in his wine glass. He drinks a moment and then smiles meekly. "Let's get to Farshore first, with our feet on solid ground we can talk about this again. They say distance makes the heart go fonder. Maybe that includes the distance between two sailing ships." He has his other hand down in his pocket, there he holds a small piece of jewelery he was going to give to Lavina, but for now he wait, he keeps it there without revealing it.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:54 pm

At the Crown

Lavinia lays a hand on Daerith's and smiles. "Thank you for understanding," she says. The magus can see that her shoulders have relaxed as a a tension that had been building is slowly released. "I"m not saying that I'm not interested in something more," she quickly adds. "But let's get to Farshore first." At the elf's suggestion that she should watch Tolin closely, she laughs a tiny laugh. "Oh, he's no danger to me. He'll leave me alone and pine - I wish he wouldn't. But the Jade Ravens are loyal to me." Then she holds up her hand. "But if it'll make you feel better, I'll be careful." She seems flattered by Daerith's concern rather than offended.

The rest of the meal passes pleasurably and uneventfully. The food is excellent, and the companionship better. Some of the talk is about ship's business, some about their respective past lives, and some about local gossip. When it's over and the two get up to leave, Lavinia leans over and gives Daerith a kiss on the cheek. "It won't be that long until we get to Farshore," she says. "And now you have one more reason to see that both ships get there in one piece. I feel safer already."

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:44 pm

Chanur keeps his eyes open during the day looking for Liamae. If he see's her pass by he approaches and tries to get her to meet him for drinks or dinner that evening.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:00 am

At the Crown

Daerith nods to Lavina, this isn't exactly what he was hoping for but its better than it could be. He has atleast cornered Tolin's actions as well, the man put himself in the corner actually. And Avner is no threat as long as he remains on the Wyvern anyhow. Lifting his glass he toasts, "To Farshore and our dreams." He then spends the rest of lunch laughing and telling stories about the Sea Wyyvern's adventures, mostly using Berek as the butt of a few jokes. He talks too about the various organizations he's made contact with in Sasserine and generally listening to Lavina.

He spends the rest of the day enjoying being off the boat, swings by the alchemist's shop to see about some anti-toxin, and then spends much of the night in whatever Inn has live music and a good crowd, but he sleeps at the Crown and is ready to sail come morning.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:33 am

Eventually Chanur spots Liamae in town. The sorceress is emerging from the apothecary's shop, a small sailcloth bag in her hands.

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Chanur » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:13 am

Chanur approaches the sorceress with just a little swagger in his step. He pulls off his hat and bows with a flourish. Standing up right he flashes her a smile.

"Liamae, what a pleasure it is to see you. I was hoping you would grace me with your company for dinner and drinks tonight?"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:34 pm

"Dinner and drinks, huh?" she says with an impish smile. "Somewhere nice, I hope. This is our last night on dry land for a long time; I'd like to make it ... memorable." She gives him an approving look up and down.

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Chanur » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:30 pm

"Of course, you deserve no less. The Crown perhaps?"

Chanur returns the look up and down smiling in approval as well.