Chapter Three - Life on the Ocean's Waves

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Liberty and Resupply

Post by Trogdor » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:07 pm

"I'll be there at six bells in the evening watch," Liamae says with a smile. "I look forward to feeding my appetite then." She then raises an eyebrow, turns, and saunters down the street to her next destination.

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:40 pm

Chanur grins and walks off thinking how to best get the information he wants from her while still enjoying her charms. Chanur makes sure to be early, she is a woman not to be kept waiting.

Chanur will have a private booth with a fine wine if able and a nice room rented up stairs. Gives a few gold coins where needed to make sure things are choice.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:01 pm

The preparations at the Crown are easily enough made. All that is required is a free hand with his purse and a willingness to see it lightened by the end of the process. Private booth, good wine, excellent meal, and room are set up with time enough for Chanur to enjoy a drink while he waits. And is it ever worth the wait.

Not long after the bell at the town hall rings out six bells in the evening, Liamae walks in wearing a low cut blue dress that's just tight enough to show her curves to great effect without making her look like she's trying too hard. The faint smell of lilac perfume follows her into the room. She glances around and quickly spots Chanur. "Hello," she purrs. "I hope I haven't kept you waiting too long."
Gotta love those high CHA sorceresses!

So how much is Chanur willing to spend on all this? Minimum would be 15 gp. Anywhere between 25-40 gp would be respectable. Above that would make it noteworthy.

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Chanur » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:44 pm

Chanur sucks in his breath momentarily when he sees Liamae enter, she does look stunning. He quickly stands when she arrives and takes her hand bowing to her and placing a kiss on it.

"I would gladly wait for all the days to gaze upon you this evening. You look breath taking Liamae. Please sit." Chanur sits her next to him and picks up the bottle of wine. "Would you like some wine?" If she accepts he will pour for her then sit next to her.

"I am glad you accepted, I have been wanting to get to know you more ever since we met."

High Cha hotty! Chanur will be happy to spend 100 gold, more if needed, he is fairly easy going with his money, particularly where women are concerned, and its not like he will get many chances to spend it elsewhere for a bit.

Chanur will be courteous and flirtatious but not overly so, and try to get her talking, he wants to know about her.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:37 am

"Please," Liamae says as she takes her seat. Her eyes widen when she takes her first sip. "An Urnst County red, if I don't miss my guess," she adds, nodding her approval. "You did take this meal seriously." From this auspicious beginning, the meal continues well. Both Chanur and Liamae are very personable, and so the conversation never flags. Over a truly excellent meal they share their backgrounds, their current plans, and their thoughts on the expedition so far. Each keeps away from matters of confidence in their respective adventuring groups. But that still leaves them each a great deal to talk about.

Liamae reveals that she was born to the nobility of Nyrond, but found the prospect of a life filled with courts, high society, and an arranged marriage was not to her liking. She ran away from home when she was barely seventeen looking for adventure in the exotic south. She left with little more than the clothes on her back and a few pieces of jewelry she could call her own. Her father might say many things about what she'd done, but he wouldn't be able to honestly say that she stole anything from him. Thankfully, her magical abilities had manifest by then and she'd received training in how to use them. Her jewelry paid for passage south; and her magical abilities allowed her to prosper.

About two years ago, she was recruited by a wizard from the Jade Ravens as his replacement. He had apparently heard about some of her exploits and thought she'd do well in the group. Tolin had been in the Jade Ravens for about a year. Kaskus joined a few weeks later to replace a priestess of Norebo. The group was filled out a year ago when Zan joined to replace the groups's old leader, a clever bard. They'd kept working off and on for the Vanderboren's, just like the group has always done. But they've had time for a few adventures of their own as well. It's easy to tell that she liked Lavinia's parents and mourns their loss.
100 gp is more than enough. That allows for the finest wines, the best food, and any other miscellaneous luxuries. Chanur might want. IT makes it a night to remember.

Is there any particular info you're looking for? Also, I'm assuming that Chanur is equally free with basic information about his past, etc. No confidences, but I assume he shares his story with her as she has with him. Please let me know if Chanur is being particularly closed-mouthed.

Also, what are his intentions for the rest of the evening (as if the room doesn't give an indication)? Once dinner is over, Liamae will be willing to continue the evening over drinks in a more private location if Chanur is. His room at the Crown would be more than acceptable.

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:38 am

Fin spends much of the rest of the day fishing off the docks. While he honestly expects nothing to come of the attempt, he enjoys the time spent relaxing with his own thoughts and is ready to depart when the captain calls.

mysticknight232
Level 11
Level 11

Post by mysticknight232 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:41 am

Wavedancer pulls out a parchment of paper. On it, he has a list of spells of various levels that he hands to Bart. "Bart my man, this is what I'm looking for. I'm spending a pretty penny here today so I'd appreciate it any discount you might offer me. Hopefully I'll give you enough business to keep you afloat for many moons."

Unrolling the parchment, you can see various spells on the list including the following:

1st - Charm Person, Floating Disk, Disguise Self, Vanish and Burning Disarm
2nd - Web, Invisibility and Knock
3rd - Gaseous Form

"Please let me know if you will have these ready for me by tomorrow. Thanks for your help."
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?

arkahm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by arkahm » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:17 am

The Sea Wyvern

Sindu, after the days work, readies himself for an evening meal. He invites all the new Colonists and Transients that were available to come. Seeing if they have returned from shore, he stops to see Father Feres, Kurt and his wife, Skald, and Helgar especially. He realized through the day that Skalds tracking may be useful in untamed lands and he would like to know what Helgar may expect to find by way of metals and minerals. After the invites are issued, he returns to the kitchen areas to find Churtle and have the Kobold prepare a nice meal for the number that accepted. He pours a glass of water for himself, "Churtle, you are an exemplary asset to our voyage. I am so glad that we rescued you from that tyrant of a woman." Thinking of inviting the Kobold to dinner, he changes his mind thinking that it may make the others uncomfortable sharing a meal with a scaled humanoid. "How long do you think it will be before our evening meal?"

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Chanur » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:44 am

Sorry Trog, I totally missed this post some how. Chanur is completely open about his past, he is even willing to talk about some of his adventures with the Wyverns, but he would be sure not to give away anything confidential. As for information he is looking for, I want to know more about Tolin and Lavinia, past relationships, how they interact on the boat, that kind of thing. And Chanur would be very interested in continuing the conversation over drinks in his room...
Chanur listens to Liamae and finds himself enjoying her company a lot more than he had anticipated. He expected her to be stuff and self important. He relaxes almost immediately and has a good time. He tells her his story of growing up and how he met the Wyverns.

Chanur listens intently while they dine after her story about leaving home he comments. "A self made woman, I like that. I respect that. I think the freedom to make my own choices is what drove me to the sea initially...it is what drives me to adventure these days for sure. What ever your father might say, he can not slight you for the success you have had. You are a formidable woman in your own right."

He then continues to listen trying to make mental notes of all she has to say in regards to the Ravens. He offers a toast to Lavinia's parents, whom Chanur had particular affection for as they discuss them.

"I think the Jade Ravens are lucky to have you. Is an adventurers life agreeing with you? Do you have plans after the Ravens? I have to admit I enjoy working for the Vanderborens and owe them much, but I hope to go into business for myself some day. Right now I am happy to just...see what's out there and make new friends." He gives Liamae a sly wink and a grin.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:58 pm

At the Crown

Liamae and Chanur talk into the night, shutting down the dining area, and retiring to his very comfortable room upstairs. Through the course of the evening she tells him that she has no clear plans after the Jade Ravens. She has no desire to return north, not now, at least. She enjoys the excitement of adventuring - nothing like the dull life she once had - though she also appreciates the finer things as well. In time, perhaps, once she's made her fortune, Liamae says she may retire to a larger city and enjoy the life of the idle rich. But for now, it's adventure on the high sea and whatever danger may be over the next horizon.

She doesn't betray any Jade Raven confidences, though she does talk about them. She describes Tolin as a solid leader, a clever strategist, and a strong fighter, even if he's a bit full of himself at times. He may be proud, but he has the chops to back himself up. Zan is fun, if a bit obsessive about his throwing knives. They casually dated for a while, she reveals, until he stopped paying enough attention to her. But there were no hard feelings either way. Kaskus is a great guy, real salt of the earth. Someone you can rely on to have your back in a tight situation. He loves his caves and caverns, though. And she can tell he'd rather be tending a cavern complex somewhere. But Lavinia's parents rescued him from slavery five years ago. And out of gratitude for this and respect for them, he's serving Lavinia in the Jade Ravens. She can tell that when it's time for him to leave the group, he'll retire to the quiet life somewhere.

When the question of Tolin and Lavinia comes up, she just laughs. "He's been making puppy dog eyes at her for a while now," she says. "Anyone can see she doesn't feel the same way - anyone but him, that is." She shakes her head. "Poor kid." She laughs again, perhaps at the fact that the 'kid' is easily five years her senior. "He could have almost anyone he wants, but he has to fall for her. Typical. Still, he's harmless. Of course, Daerith might not say that. Tolin doesn't think anyone's worthy of Lavinia's love - well, except for him, of course. Near as I can tell, he's trying to scuttle your friend's chances with the lady. It's like the teenage intrigues I dealt with up north all over again." Once more she laughs her melodious laugh. "I thought I'd left that all behind me. But I guess people are people all over." Then she leans in closer to Chanur. But you don't want to spend the night talking about Lavinia and Daerith, do you? I can think of much nocer topics of conversation.

But there's relatively little actual conversation after that.

Eventually, both are woken by a discrete tap on the door as the breakfast Chanur had ordered the night before arrives. It's earlier than either would want to be up. But the ship sails this morning, so they have little choice in the matter. And so, far too soon, the two have to part, each heading to their own ship.
Bottom line is that Liamae says that so far as she can tell, Tolin is going all high school on Lavinia and Daerith and trying to subtly break them up. (All in a completely deniable way, of course.) It's more juvenile than anything, not what she would consider a threat.

I'll leave you to post how discretely Liamae makes her departure.

At the Alchemist's Shop

As Wavedancer comes into the Alchemist's shop on the morning of their departure, Bart looks up, and after wishing him a good morning, draws a sailcloth bag from under the counter. "You were lucky," he says. "I had some in stock, and my scroll sources were eager for some coin. I was able to get everything you asked for."
I've added the scrolls to Wavedancer's sheet and deducted the cost. [-950 gp]

The Evening Prior on the Sea Wyvern

Sindu's dinner goes off well. Although all of the passengers are spending time on shore, many are still sleeping on the ship to save money. And they have all learned to appreciate Churtle's culinary skills over the past week. With truly fresh ingredients, she easily does as well, or better, than they would get in any but the finest eateries in town.

Kurt, Anya, Skald, and Helgar are all available, as are several others. Father Ferres, however, declines courteously. He claims that his duties at the temple keep him on shore. But Sindu can sense the man's reluctance to come back onto the ship any sooner than he has to - not surprising, given his reaction to being at sea.

Helgar proves to be a courteous guest. He speaks of the minerals he hopes to find from simple iron and copper up to gold, silver, or gemstones. But truly, he admits, these are all merely hopes. His main purpose in traveling to Farshore is to survey the area in order to answer just the questions Sindu asks and to determine whether it's worth sending a larger team of miners.

Skald is a bit more reticent. Quiet, morose, and hunched shouldered, he rarely answers questions with more than a few words. But from talking to him it becomes clear that he knows his trade very well, being a skilled tracker and navigator. He's also eager to explore the jungle around Farshore, happy to trade the hustle and bustle of a city for the simplicity of the wilderness.

At the Docks

It's three bells in the forenoon watch and the last of the crew and passengers are being rowed out to the waiting ships. Lavinia, Chanur, and some members of the Jade Ravens and Sea Wyverns are on the dock making a few last plans. Both ships are resupplied, crammed again with fresh food, water, and livestock. For it will be over a month before they expect to see another port - though the jungle will always be to their south.

"Remember," Lavinia says to Chanur, "we'll be hugging the coast as we travel west. If we're separated, you have the rendezvous points and times. Good luck and good sailing." Then she gives Daerith a smile and a slightly sad look and adds, "we'll be in Farshore soon enough, Daerith. We have that to look forward to."
Three bells in the forenoon watch = 9:30 am.

I'm assuming no one needed anything else in town. People can add general stores as they like and deduct the money for it. Here's one last chance to post before we set sail again.