INTERLUDE - Dinner at the Crown

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Dinner at the Crown

Post by Trogdor » Tue May 24, 2011 12:47 am

"Okay," Tolin replies, "like I said, I appreciate straight talk. So I'll lay my cards on the table as well." He sets down his glass and leans forward in his chair. "I have feelings for Lavinia as well. I've known her longer than you have, so mine is no puppy dog crush either. She and I have grown closer over the years we've known each other, far closer than an employer and an employee. As you say, it's my job to protect her; yours too, for that matter." He smiles. "But if you truly care for her, you'll think long and hard before you distract her with your attentions when she needs her full attention on saving her parents' dream." It's clear that Tolin has given this matter much thought.

"I won't interfere with Lavinia," he says at last. "But I will take care of her. If she wants to spend time with you, that's up to her. But I ask you to think about what you're doing, and whether you're doing it for her or for you. I know the coming weeks will give you plenty of time for thought." That's true enough, with Lavinia on the Blue Nixie and Daerith on the Sea Wyvern. "Think long and hard about whether what you're doing might hurt Lavinia at all or distract her from what she needs to do. And see if you can rustle up some of that famous elven patience and wait until matters are settled in Farshore."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue May 24, 2011 12:58 am

Daerith doesn't mention that Tolin was just a child when he first met Lavina, that's not a point he needs to fight over. "Nothing I do will hurt Lavina, understood?" He then turns his back on Tolin and paces toward the door. "Call it jealousy or dispair, but I hear a hint of disappointment in your voice Tolin. Lavina doesn't return your affection, and if you can't have her no one can. Is that it?" He turns his head and looks over his shoulder at the man shaking his head. "You just stay out of my and Lavina's way, and everything will turn out just like Lavina wants it to. I'll make sure of that." He turns his head back to look at the room where Lavina and Avner are.

"I think Avner's had enough of Lavina's attention." He paces out of the room and into the common room heading for Lavina's side, he's done with Tolin.
I may have to let Berek and the others that don't like Tolin teach him a lesson ;)
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue May 24, 2011 1:12 am

"Typical," Tolin replies. "It's all about you. Who gets to 'have' Lavinia." He shakes his head. "I'll be by her side long after you've gone on your way," the ranger adds. "If you don't turn away from your selfish course, I'll be there to pick up the pieces, I'll be the one who helps build up what you tear down." He finishes his whiskey in one drink. "I hope you'll see reason and back off. But if you don't, I'll be there to see that you don't hurt Lavinia too badly."

Then he too stands. "But I think you're right," Tolin adds. "We won't get any farther with this discussion. And Avner's had time enough to go over financial matters twice over." He then follows Daerith out into the common room and down the corridor that has the inn's private rooms. A few moments later, both magic and ranger stand before the door to the private room that currently contains Avner and Lavinia.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue May 24, 2011 8:35 am

Daerith has nothing more to say to Tolin, the man is a jealous fool, he's decided that. Lavina and him have something, and atleast for now Daerith isn't thinking of himself only, he's thinking of making Lavina happy and that means making Farshore a success. He reaches the door and knocks politely on it before opening it just a jar, "Lavina, Avner, it's time for dinner..."
I'm okay with glossing over the dinner if its just talk about ship and cargo and stuff, but if there is a chance for some back and forth with Avner and Lavina of course, I'm game for more. I don't want to hold up the entire game however.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue May 24, 2011 6:10 pm

"Daerith, Tolin, what good timing," Lavinia exclaims as the door opens. "We finished up our financial discussions half a glass ago and were getting ready to call you two in." Avner's scowl at the two indicates that this wasn't his plan. But there's not much he can do about it, so he turns his scowl into a gracious smile before Lavinia looks his way.

"Glad you could join us," the Meravanchi heir adds insincerely, gesturing to the two empty chairs. Then, the wait staff saves him from having to come up with further pleasantries by coming in to clear off the plate of light appetizers that had previously been brought and to serve the first dinner course. Soon everyone has soup and wine and the conversation starts flowing. Despite some animosity between the three men at the table, all are well bred enough to keep up their end of the conversation. And all are trying their best to impress Lavinia.

"We barely had time to talk on the way here," the noble lady says between spoons of the lobster bisque. "And Avner and I talked mostly about business. So, tell me about how things have been this last week on the Sea Wyvern. Hopefully things calmed down after the unpleasantness last week."
We can have a little conversation with Lavinia, if you like. Tolin has had his say, and Avner is too socially adept to make a scene at this point. So both will keep up a perfectly pleasant conversation throughout the meal, without any digs or romantic maneuvers.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue May 24, 2011 6:24 pm

Daerith nods to Avner and bows to Lavina on entrance. Daerith, for his part, plays the polite diplomat and doesn't try and ruffle Tolin or Avner's feathers at all. He does however assert his status as the favored man in Lavina's life at every tactful moment, just so the others realize he's the rooster of this hen house.

"Things have been going well since Rowyn was removed from the ship. There was a bit of tension among the crew and passangers over the desire to use some magic during the investigation, but I think a few nights on shore leave are going to erase any left over feelings resulting from that. The crew is working well, and the passangers are all well mannered, wouldn't you agree Avner?" Daerith sips his soup, "Hmmm, this is excellent. Of course anything tastes good after weeks of hard rations and kobold cooking!" He laughs and breaks off some fresh bread and drinks some of his wine. "I believe we are right on schedule and on course. I hope things continue to work out as well as they have, do we know what the weather is going to be like after we turn the horn?"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed May 25, 2011 8:29 pm

The dinner progresses smoothly, though Daerith makes certain to take actions that send a clear message that he's the favored man in Lavinia's life. His efforts are tactful, but clear to Avner and Tolin. They're also clear to Lavinia, who is better at reading people than either of them. She shows no reaction to Daerith's first efforts. But about halfway through the dinner, the magus notices her showing slight discomfort whenever he places a hand on her arm or speaks to her in a particularly familiar way.

"We'd best enjoy the food while we can," Lavinia says over a sip of wine. "It'll be over a month before we're in another port. Though there will be the chance of some hunting or trading since we'll be following the coast. "As for weather ...," she shakes her head. "We've planned things so that we're passing through the Amiedo region during the time of calmest weather. But that doesn't mean that storms aren't possible. We'll have to hope and pray that things stay calm."
Daerith's Sense Motive check: 13
Daerith doesn't notice Lavinia's reaction immediately. But he does eventually notice.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed May 25, 2011 9:43 pm

Daerith backs off when he notices Lavina's reaction. He wants the other men to know to back off, not to upset Lavina. So once he realizes he's causing her some discomfort he lets up some and focuses his attention on the plan and the trip ahead. All business for a while he produces a map he brought from the Wyvern, "Let's go over the planned course...." he then falls into his Navigator role and plots the course and goes over buisness late into the night.
Receptive to any Lavina's advances but doesn't make any more of his own tonight.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed May 25, 2011 10:47 pm

The dinner proceeds with talk of sailing routes, supply manifests, and potential dangers ahead. There is much to be said, and to everyone's credit, they give these matters their full attention. Even Avner seems to understand that it's important to focus on your future safety and well being. By the time dessert is brought out - a fruit tart filled with custard and topped with fresh tropical fruit - the business part of the evening is over. Talk then turns to current events, gossip about members of the two crews, and last year's theater season in Sasserine. All four people at the table are charming and eloquent in their own way. By the simple expedient of avoiding the elephant in the room, they keep the conversation flowing and the mood generally cheerful. It's late by the time the meal is over and everyone retires to their own room, none of Lavinia's three companions allowing the other an opportunity for a private good night.

This thread meets back up with Liberty and Resupply