Chapter Three - The Voyage South

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Re: The Luau

Post by mackaber » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:03 pm

"Ye could start anew in Farshore why here then Conrad?" Berek enquires of the man somewhat curious as to his motives.
Big Pimpin...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:02 pm

"Life is simpler here," Conrad explains. "I can forget all the complexities of life in a city - or even a small outpost - and get back to living."

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:24 am

"Hmmmpfff.... well whatever ye wants te do. But if we comes back here an see you causin these honest folks trouble I'll end ye simple life on a pole wit ye head at the beach as a warnin..." clealy Berek doesn't truly trust the man but decides to act against his instincts and has another drink.
Big Pimpin...

mysticknight232
Level 11
Level 11

Post by mysticknight232 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:44 am

Not that it's particularly necessary, however Wavedancer gives his blessing to Conrad as well. He does echo Bereks thoughts on the matter.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:45 am

Daerith may be a find diplomat but he's never been good at reading people, always expecting to see the best in them, and Conrad is no different. "I think it is an excellent idea Conrad. You know you might never get a far shake in Far Shore anyhow, not with rumors spreading faster than dissentary on a ship. You can be our point person too, on any return, assuming you haven't run off with a native lady into the jungles and gone feral by then. Good luck." He shakes the man's hand and offers him a bit of aid in settling in, perhaps a few coins or trade goods to get him started on the right foot.

At some point he discovers that there are necklaces on the isle, perhaps seeing Chanur with something. He makes sure to find something suitable as a gift for Lavina to surprise her with later.
Want to buy a piece of jewelry for Lavina, necklace or bracelet or ring, something nice. Say 100gp value in trade.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:10 am

The remainder of the luau continues without incident. The Sea Wyverns are even able to ask the chieftain about Conrad remaining behind, and he says that if a shaman speaks for him - as one has - then he's more than welcome to stay. In fact, he goes so far as to suggest that Conrad may become a symbol of the unity of your two people.

Morning eventually dawns, much to the regret of some. Passengers and sailors are herded to the ships, and the last few nets of fresh fruit are loaded aboard the ships. Both are now prepared for the journey across the open sea.

Finally, things have come around full circle, and it's the same two boats that are on the beach with the same two groups of people beside them, only this time Avner is not present and the two groups are preparing to leave, not just arriving. Gifts have been given back and forth between visitors and villagers. Promises have been made for future trips and future trade goods. And soon, there are no more reasons to remain. The two boats must return to their respective ships and the journey must begin again.

This time will be different, however. There will be little chance for ship visiting in the weeks ahead. Few will be the anchorages between here and Farshore. The small convoy will be sailing through the night from now on and not staying put for the night. The best they can hope for from now on is shouting between the ships, signal flags, and perhaps the occasional message tossed between the ships as they get close. For Daerith and Chanur, this means they will not be able to speak to their innamoratae for some time to come. As a result, it's a bittersweet moment for some.
Daerith can easily pick up some appropriate jewelry in whatever price range he likes. Just deduct the money and RP giving it to Lavinia.

A last moment for goodbyes and I'll push us along.

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:31 am

Holding Liamae's hand having already said goodbye to the locals he spends a few moments telling her how much he has enjoyed their time yesterday. "I will find this leg of the trip hard, you will be in my thoughts. Particularly our time here." Chanur grins deviously. Kissing her goodbye and giving her one final embrace he retreats to the ship to make sure we are prepared to depart.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:01 am

Daerith has said his good-byes to the natives and others on the Blue Nixe, and stands now with a map in one hand and a small pouch in the other. He talks to Lavina, ostensibly about the next leg of the trip, but he doesn't care much are plotting courses on the sea at this moment. "I got you something Lavina. I thought of you when I saw it. It is beautiful, strong and resilant just like you." He hands the small pouch over, inside is a amber, turquoise cowrey shell necklace. "I hope you like it. I'm going to see if Anya's new Parrot familiar will be able to fly messages back and forth between ships. I curse my training for lacking a way to simply teleport to see you over the next few weeks." He wants to hold Lavina's hand, or hug and kiss her, and he hopes she will, but if she can't, in such public domain, then he will have to understand.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

The Pearl Current

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:18 pm

Goodbyes are said, some quite heartfelt. And Daerith reveals something that wasn't generally known - that the parrot Ariel brought aboard is her new familiar and not merely a pet. It seems that she really has come into her own as a wizard in the past few weeks. And if the bird really can pass messages between the ships, it will be a welcome addition to the crew indeed.

Finally the boats are ready to depart. Lavinia bids the Sea Wyverns goodbye, squeezing Chanur's hand and giving Daerith an embrace that, if it's a bit longer than it needs to be, isn't inappropriate. The two parties then return to their ships, where anchors are weighed and sails lowered. By the turn of the tide, both ships are far out to sea, into the much larger waves of the Vohoun Ocean.

The following days are calm, by ocean standards, though the change to larger waves gives some of the landsmen and women pause. But mostly it just takes some getting used to. And with good weather, fine winds, and plenty of fresh food, soon everyone is content. And it turns out that Vanya, as Areil's parrot is called, it more than happy to carry letters, and even small packages to and from the Blue Nixie. It gives him a chance to spread his wings, and makes him feel useful. Tavey in particular likes the bird, fascinated that it can actually talk, and not just repeating things other people say.

But the sailors aboard know that this section of the ocean contains a hidden peril. The charts provided by Lavinia's parents mark this area of ocean as the home of the Pearl Current, which gives the Pearl Sea it's name. The Pearl Current is a swift-flowing ocean current that sweeps up from the southern Vohoun Ocean to the northeast toward the Densac Gulf. It's easy enough to account for if identified properly. But it has also been known to carry unprepared - or unskilled - ships hundreds of miles off course with ease.

Daerith and the others know generally where the current begins, at least according to the charts. However, the charts also note that the current's exact shape and width can vary. Determining exactly where it starts and ends is a tricky prospect. It seems now the Wyvern's master will truly earn his pay.
Normal piloting through the open sea requires a DC 17 piloting check using Knowledge(geography). This is within a take 10 for Daerith. However, finding the Pearl Current is higher than DC 19, so it requires a real check. Several successive checks are required to pass through the Pearl Current. Any failed rolls mean you go off course, with more failed rolls being worse. A single failed roll won't kill you. But too many and you might run out of food and water.

I'm going to let Daerith's piloting checks control both ships.
Edited to add the map.
Last edited by Trogdor on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mysticknight232
Level 11
Level 11

Re: The Pearl Current

Post by mysticknight232 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:21 pm

With the wind blowing through his hair and the spray hitting him in the face, Wavedancer is happy to be sailing again. His enjoyment on land was genuine indeed, but sailing is his life.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?