Chapter Three - Sargasso

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Chapter Three - Sargasso

Post by Trogdor » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:44 am

As the days pass, thoughts on the Sea Wyvern often turn to those on the Blue Nixie. Are they well? Are they on course? Did they weather the storm safely? All very good questions, but ones that may not get answered until the ship reaches Farshore.

The matter becomes even more frustrating a few days later when the Sea Wyvern is becalmed. There's nothing strange about this, as it's happened several times before over the past couple of months, though never for long. The prevailing winds at this time are generally good. But a few hours, or even days, of calm is nothing to worry about. It's only the fact that there is some question about the fate of the Blue Nixie that makes it so frustrating. As the sun sets and the moon rises on a still sea, the crew and passengers of the Wyvern do their best to keep entertained. But no one seems to be in the mood for festivities just about now. Most people turn in at dark, leaving only a couple of sailors on deck for the evening and morning watches.

As the grey dawn breaks, burning fitfully through the morning fog to light the sea, something seems very strange about the waters below. They seem almost solid. as if the sea had formed some strange sort of skin. The air seems dead as well, and the sails hang limp, heavy with moisture from the receding fog.

Finally, the mist begins to clear, and what is unveiled is not the gently rolling vista of the sea, but a wet green field of weed. The swath of dirty green stretches in all directions. To the stern, it extends for perhaps half a mil, beyond which lie the open waters of the mocking sea. In all other directions, the weed extends to the horizon. Trapped within its vice are dozens of other long-dead ships. their hulls protruding from the sargasso at odd angles, masts askew, sails hanging in tatters. One such ship lies mired only six hundred feet to port, and it seems to be in better shape than the others. Perhaps most unnerving, however, is neither the sight nor the smell of so much sun-baked seaweed. It is the unnatural silence, for the thick choking green has robbed the Sea Wyvern even of the strangely comforting sound of water lapping against her hull. It is not a healthy silence. It is the silence of a graveyard.
Last edited by Trogdor on Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Re: Chapter Three - Sargasso

Post by mackaber » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:30 am

As he makes his way to deck and finds the fellow wyverns standing on deck and examining their surroundings Berek curses.

"Well shit! That's about the worst we could a gotten erselfves into. It's a sargasso, a treacherous patch of vegetation often driven by storms only to collect in regions of the ocean that even the wind and currents seem to fear. A patch a mile across would be unusual, but thisthis is huge...

Ye know there's tale about this...Sailors call it Journeys' End, and speak of it in hushed tones - rumors of a living island that appears from the mists after storms. This living island is said to have a black soul that fuels the hunger of children romored to live within its green embrace.

Journey's End is one of the sea's more terrible blights, and is said to be able to crush ships in its grip. Its children are awful creatures formed of the weed itself, and are said to rise by night to slake their hunger upon any their green mother has caught in its grasp.
Berek can fly to the other ship with his armor but since duration is only 5 minutes flying to and fro and examining the ship won't work. Can any of the casters cast fly or levitate or something similar?
Big Pimpin...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:29 am

Berek eyeballs the distance to the nearest ship. It's about a cable length away, well within his range. But given the distance, how fast he flies, and the duration of the enchantment - less than a quarter glass - the dwarf estimates he wouldn't have all that much time to examine the ship.
It's 600 feet away, and you have a five minute duration of a 30 Fly speed. Bolting like a bat out of hell (i.e., 'running'), you could get there in about a minute, and back in the same amount of time. But that's nit taking any time to examine your approach. A safer approach might take twice or three times that, say two to three minutes. Given a minute to bolt back to the ship, that's about a minute to examine it. Not very much, I'm afraid.

But if you wanted just a quick fly over, it would be a viable plan.

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:42 am

Coming on deck and looking over the railing Chanur curses and listens to Berek's explanation to the listeners. "By Procan Berek is right. This is a blight. We need to find a way out and judging by the view it won't be easy. Plans? Perhaps we can use magic to move the ship backwards? Getting Berek over to that other ship might be a good idea also, there could be survivors."
Any suggestions on how to get out of this death trap?

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:19 am

Fin gazes out absently, horrified by the sargasso.

"Berek has the right of it. In all honesty, I'm at a loss as to what to do. This much of it is beyond anything I've ever heard of."

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:27 pm

"Well if those stories are true it'd be wise to get outta here by night time. Now where'd that blasted druid go! He should fix this. I can't cut short all those algee wit me axe! But I'd like an go fly over to the other ship and check it out. " Berek grumbles about, agitated and it would seem somewhat nervous. Clearly he gives those old sailor tails considerable credit.
Just assuming it's morning so spells can prolly be prepared as need be for the day right Trog?
Big Pimpin...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:05 pm

Kalthan is up in the tops, where he often is. Berek can see him scanning the horizon. A quick shout and a wave, however, has him sliding down the ratlines to the deck. "What did you need, Berek?" he asks.
Yes, it's the start of a day. You can adjust spells accordingly.

mysticknight232
Level 11
Level 11

Post by mysticknight232 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:02 pm

Wavedancer looks around and agrees with Berek. "Aye, this is most unnatural. Stretching to the horizon as it does like that is most unfathomable."

Considering for a moment, he says "Daerith and I could try to burn our way out. Of course, there's the possibility of it either not working or working too well and we set ourselves afire."
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:15 pm

Daerith is standing at the rail. "I've heard the same tales as Berek. This bodes poorly for us." He looks down, "Captain, we should set the crew to hacking at the seaweed, trying to get us cut free from it. If that works we can try and row our way out if it, we aren't that deep in." He races to the aft deck and looks over judging how far they have to go to back out. "Fire and water don't mix, I doubt this seaweed will burn well. I wonder, if we cant' walk on it, or perhaps use the rowboats to row across and over it being as its lighter than the Wyvern?" He gazes at the other ship, "While the crew is hacking us free we can inspect that ship, maybe there is a clue on board that will help." He then gazes out into the middle of the Sargasso. "And if we can't cut our way out, and the stories of old heroes hold, we may have to find our way to the heart of this, slay whatever black evil feeds it in order to escape."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

mysticknight232
Level 11
Level 11

Post by mysticknight232 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:20 pm

Rummaging around in his scroll pouch, Wavedancer pulls out a particularly old looking scroll, which is to say that this one was just written on a old bit of parchment by the looks of it. As he's pulling it out he says "Ah-ha! I knew I had something that might could help us. I have a scroll of Alter Winds. I would try to push the seaweed away, or better yet, push us through the seaweed. It's not a perfect solution as the duration won't last forever but it's still an option."

Wavedancer ponders Daerith's suggestion about searching the other ship and says "I would volunteer to inspect the other ship. If the seaweed will hold us, that would be fine. If not, I can breath underwater and so hopefully wouldn't have any problems if it didn't hold me." Pausing...he continues "again, not a perfect solution as any number of things that could go wrong likely will, but perhaps that ship has some answers for us about this part of the ocean."
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?