Chapter Three - Sargasso

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: The Disappearing Sargasso

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:28 pm

"Let us see if we can save this magic for a truly dire situation. Maybe we can lash something together." Daerith will attempt to lash a few planks, yard arms , the wheel or other wooden objects together and climb on them. today he brought all combat spells, and he lacks and utility type things that might aid in this but he won't turn away any boosts from Fin or Wavedancer.
I say we try and stick it out in the water, on drift wood, etc, and see if Amella comes and saves us. If we are going to die or things look bleak I'll use the Swan Boat but i was hoping to save it for a real dire situation.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:22 pm

As the boat sinks beneath the Sea Wyverns, they begin to quickly gather what they can that might float. Spare spars, hatch covers, Even one of the ship's boats turned upside down looks like it might float. What bits of rope they have are used to ties these pieces together as best they can be. But time is short, and a few minutes into the process, the ship literally sinks beneath the group as the seaweed around the Thunderer becomes too thin to support it.

There's a bad moment as the undercurrent from the ship sinking starts pulling everyone down. But to a man the Sea Wyverns are strong swimmers and no one is dragged beneath the waves. Moreover, with Wavedancer as comfortable in the water as on land, and Chanur wearing his morion of underwater action, no one is ever in any real danger. Berek and Daerith are initially pulled away from the makeshift raft by the currents. But quickly swim back to it with no trouble.

Soon everyone except Wavedancer is hanging on to some piece of wood, partially treading water. In contrast, the half sea-elf is enjoying the freedom of being able to swim again. Seaweed still fills the water as far as the eye can see. But it's just a normal amount, and even that is beginning to sink to the depths. For a while, several other ships can still be seen in the distance. But soon they too sink and the Sea Wyvern's raft is alone in the sea, surrounded by various bits of flotsam and jetsam.

Chanur seems convinced that Amella will bring the Sea Wyvern around before too long. And everyone hopes he's right. The sun is already at the horizon, and dusk is very short in the tropics.
Basic Swim checks to see how people do with the sinking (DC 15 partial success/DC 20 success).
Berek: 19; partial success
Chanur: 26; success [morion of underwater action, as well]
Daerith: 18; partial success
Fin: cast Touch of Sea; take 10 = 28; success
Wavedancer: can take 10 (=28); success [can breathe in water]

The lowest Swim check for the group is +10. Swimming obstacles are not a bit threat to you guys. The only way I can raise the hint of a threat is a situation like this (sinking ship and bad undercurrent) where you can't take 10 (except for WD and Fin with his spell, who both can).

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:10 pm

Daerith, once the ships has sunk and the group is treading water and waiting for Amella smiles, "I'm thirsty, anyone have something to drink?" The elf just lightly kicks at the water holding onto a spar/hatch that is lashed loosely together. "So, anyone know a good sailor joke?"
I'm willing to wait for a while until fatigue starts to set in and then reevaluate the situation.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:27 am

Fin shrugs, as well as one may while clinging to drift wood, anyway.

"Personally, I'd just as soon use the trinket and get back to the ship, but then again I've never been great at managing resources.

"So far as jokes go, I've one, though it has nothing much to do with sailing. An Elf, a mage, and a cleric walk into a bar. A Dwarf shakes his head and walks underneath it."

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:34 am

Chanur laughs loudly at Fin's joke. "That's a good one Fin. The only jokes a sailor knows are fairly dirty. I know a few sea shanty's. " Chanur begins to sing a little song in a great mood after surviving certain death. "Show me the way to go home, I'm tired and I want to go to bed!" He looks at Berek "I had a little drink about an hour ago, and it went right to my head! Where ever I may roam, On Land or sea or foam! You'll hear me singing this song, show me the way to go home!"

Chuckling The Captain currently with out a vessel remarks "I also know row row row your boat..."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

The Return of the Sea Wyvern

Post by Trogdor » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:46 pm

The day gets darker, but the water is warm and the makeshift raft keeps anyone from tiring out too much. A couple of hours pass and full night falls. But with the darkness of night comes some hope on the horizon. Far to the west, the waterlogged heroes see colored lights dancing in the sky. No doubt someone on the Sea Wyvern is trying to signal them. Wavedancer replies with dancing lights of his own, and soon the distant lights seem to get closer.

Within another hour, the Sea Wyvern is in view, Ariel at the bow keeping her dancing lights in the air. Wavedancer's matched set, along with various light spells on the raft bring the ship right up to its owners. Quickly, everyone is brought aboard and stories are exchanged.

Amella reveals that they were preparing to defend the ship tonight when they felt the shudder pass through the sargasso. Watchers up in the tops gave enough warning of the sargasso's disintegration that they were able to make sure everyone was off the seaweed before it all collapsed around them. After about an hour of watching the vegetation sink into the sea, the crew was able to get the ship moving. They figured that if the Sea Wyverns survived, they'd be close to the center of what was the sargasso. And so that's where they headed. They were worried that they'd miss the group in the dark, so they had Ariel send up some flares to signal them. Thankfully, it all worked out.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: The Return of the Sea Wyvern

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:55 am

Daerith is hanging on to the raft as the lights go up. He sends his own light spell up along with Wavedancer, and shouts with his Ghost Sound cantrip as he has been. When the group is pulled out of the water he lays there on the deck for a while before he waggles his fingers and dries himself off with a cantrip. After a while he does the same for the others, and then calls out, "Food! Damn I'm hungry." He then realizes that the group never saw any sharks and he's glad for it.

"Nice work Amella, we found the heart of darkness and killed it. A massive mutated seaweed monster, but she's dead, and the Sargasso won't kill another sailor ever again." He heads below deck eventually to get some food and go to bed, he's tired, and cold, and just wants some sleep. Before that he will spend a short while trying to re-plot the ships course and hand it to the First Mate so they can get underway.

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:33 am

Chanur grabs Amella in a jubilant hug. "I've never been so happy to see someone! I knew you would find us, you're a sharp one I said!" After the groups stories are exchanged the Captain brings out his last bottle of Brandye and takes a big swig and passes it around. He requests late rations from Churtle so folks can eat and rest. He is clearly happy to be alive and on his ship.
Did we lose anyone?

mysticknight232
Level 11
Level 11

Post by mysticknight232 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:06 am

Wavedancer is so excited he's almost jubilant...or what passes for jubilation for the usually stoic Sorcerer. With giant handy haversack in tow, he heads off to his rooms for much needed sleep. Food can wait he thinks. And as he slowly drifts off to sleep, he casually thinks that mayhaps there should be a party in their honor. When he felt like he truly started this adventure, it started with a party. He hasn't been good and drunk in a long while and he should like to be good and drunk in celebration...when he awakens that is.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:57 am

Amongst all the joy and laughter Berek's sour mood is not even noticed. He's not sure how everyone can be so happy after almost drowning but luckily there's plenty of drink to go around and that makes him somewhat happy.
Big Pimpin...