Chapter Three - Sargasso

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Re: The Return of the Sea Wyvern

Post by veritas » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:03 pm

Upon their return to the ship, Fin eats a small amount and politely retires to his quarters thereafter. The priest of Procan has passed out within seconds of lying down, clearly exhausted by the day's toils.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Good News/Bad News

Post by Trogdor » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:32 pm

The Sea Wyverns are hauled aboard their namesake and given food, water, and beer. Some crawl into their bunks, others get a little bit of work done first, others finish a proper meal. But all are tired after a day-long slog across the sargasso followed by a pitched battle, followed by hours treading water. But in the end, it was worth it. The Mother of All has been defeated and the sargasso is no more. Not only is the Sea Wyvern safe, but so are countless other ships that may have fallen prey to the terrible vine horrors.

By morning, the sargasso is only a memory, as the heroes wake up to an impromptu celebration - delayed so that they could get their rest. There is no longer any fresh fruit on board, but the last pig is killed and there's unsalted pork for all that want it. Even Avner succumbs to pressure and donates several of his fine bottles of wine to the celebration. Everyone is happy and relieved to be moving once more, though the celebration is tempered with the knowledge that there has still been no word from the Blue Nixie. Could she have been caught on the far side of the sargasso and moved off in the darkness? Had she avoided the sargasso altogether? Unfortunately answers would have to wait until Farshore, the ultimate destination of both ships.

Soon, however, things get back into the pattern that has been familiar on the Sea Wyvern for the past couple months. The crew keep the sails trim, while the passengers while away hour after hour in their own ways. There is sword practice on the main deck, games played in the cabin below, stories told, and small tasks completed. Five more days pass like this before, on the morning of the fifth day, there's a cry from the tops. "Land two points of the starboard bow," shouts Mari. Everyone moves to look and sees just the faintest hint of land in that direction. One of the ship's spyglasses confirms this. There is a large island off to starboard. And there's only one known piece land that size in this part of the Vohoun Ocean: The Isle of Dread. That means that Farshore itself is only a week's journey around to the south of the island.

But unfortunately the good news is tempered with bad. As he has every morning for nearly three months, Kalthan casts some minor weather magic to determine what weather the ship can expect in the next day. Today is no different. But unlike most days, today he wears a dark expression on his face.

"Captain Chanur," he says with a nod of his head. "I'm afraid I've some bad news to report. The weather looks like it's going to get dirty later today. I can't tell exactly how bad. But signs are not good. If I had to guess, I'd say it will likely be worse than the last one. Possibly much worse."

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Re: Good News/Bad News

Post by mackaber » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:00 am

Berek stands by as reports are brought in on the weather troubles. "Can't we land here and hold out till things get better?" Berek enquires of those more knowledgable of sea fare.
Big Pimpin...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:13 am

"We can if we get to a good landfall in time," Amella replies. "But we're still hours from shore. And there's no telling what that shore will look like. Without a sheltered anchorage, keeping too close to shore can be dangerous. We can check what charts we have for the Isle of Dread and see if there's anything that looks promising."

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:12 am

The captain nods at his first mate."Amella is absolutely right. Getting to close to the shore with out a landing spot could lead to the ship being smashed. Lets look at those charts and keep our course until we can decide if there is a place to stop. Daerith lets get your eyes on this."
Lets look at those charts try to find a bay or something.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:07 pm

Daerith brings out the charts and lays them flat on the deck. "We are here by the course we've taken and if that bit of land is what we think it is." He rolls his finger down the coast of the isle ahead. "This northern side is mostly rocky beaches of a razor sharp stone, low sand bar shoals, broken reefs and no deep water harbors." He points at the label on the map, "They call this the Isle of Dread for a reason, and Farshore is on the leeward side of the isle because there is no place to port here." He searches through the books and maps he has just in case he's missed something, but he doesn't believe he has.

"We better be ready for this, the storms this far south are dangerous. I've read a few pages out of some rudders that suggest this high winds are unlike anything we see in Sasserine. I would batten down the hatches, secure the life boats, and stock them with fresh water and food now. Alert the crew and passengers to have their things pack and secured. Let's get on full alert, I have a really dreadful feeling about this storm."
Before the storm arrives I want to ID all magic items we got in the Saragaso and pass them out. I want to secure all my own personal items, and when the storm is closer I arm for battle so I have all me tools at my disposal. updating my sheet and spells, etc.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

The Second Storm Strikes

Post by Trogdor » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:38 pm

With the warning of dirty weather to come, the Sea Wyvern begins to make preparations. Storm canvas is sent aloft, hatches are battened, stays are checked and double checked, and the map of the coast of the Isle of Dread is examined for any sign of a good harbor to wait out the storm. Unfortunately, Daerith is correct: it's not called the Isle of Dread for nothing. The coast on this side of the island is rocky and full of cliffs. But it's not without hope. There is one shelter farther down the coast that could see you through all but the worst hurricane. The real question is whether you can make it in time. Alas, at present you have no choice.

So the ship is sailed south-by-southwest, a half south, and all the canvas she can bear is unfurled. The ship makes a good seven knots, though much of that is because of the ever-stiffening wind. Not a good sign of things to come. Everyone is nervous, but no one can do much about it. The crew and passengers pack up their own things tightly, and keep what they hold most dear on their person. No one speaks of the dangers the ship will face, but everyone is thinking about it to some extent - well, perhaps except for Urol who seems totally oblivious to what lies ahead. He seems more interested in seeing an albatross off the port bow than anything else.

As the day passes, the Isle of Dread gets closer, but the winds blow harder and the seas start to rise. It's going to be a close run thing. The ship clearly won't get to land before the storm hits, though it might hope to get there before the worst of it strikes. By early afternoon, the edge of the storm has hit, and the passengers are confined below. It's all-hands-on-deck, and the crew is finally earning their pay. Thankfully they've had months to get used to working together, so they're a fairly good crew by now.

But the winds are severe and the waves high, and it's all Chanur can do to keep the ship afloat, much less on course. Slowly, over the course of an hour the bow drifts westward. Much more any you'll be headed for the deadly cliffs to the northwest. Thankfully, the ship is pointed toward the waves and is climbing up and down them safely. An hour passes without and danger or rolling or washing.

The second hour passes much the same, safe, if not quite on the right course. But slowly, very slowly, Chanur begins to bring the bow a little more toward the south. There's still hope for making it to the safe harbor, though if the ship doesn't change it's course soon, that hope may disappear.
Chanur makes a Prof(sailor) check (DC 30) to stay on course: 21; failure, blown off course.

Chanur makes a Prof(sailor) check (DC 15) to keep from washing or rolling in the first hour: 18, success

Chanur makes a Prof(sailor) check (DC 15) to keep from washing or rolling in the second hour: 26, success

Everyone can post what they're doing in the midst of this terrible storm.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: The Second Storm Strikes

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:51 pm

As the storm rolls in Daerith ties down the cameo that Lavina gave him into a pocket, he won't loose it to wind and water. He then locks and secures his sea chest, anything of import he can't carry is in there, and he leaves the cabin doors unlocked so he can make a quick travel. All the charts and maps, his rudder, and anything else for navigation and travel on the isle of dread is stuffed into the Sea Elf's Bag of Holding, to see it water tight and safe. "Don't loose this bag Wavedancer, or we are in big trouble." He then moves to air Chanur and the ship. He gives his aid in navigation and calling depths and speed, suggests turns, and grabs at ropes and sails when the men need it. He watches the men fight against the storm and us summons an Unseen Servant to help against the troubles, setting it to do the most dangerous jobs so men don't get washed over board. As a wave breaks over the bow and douses the deck Daerith calls a simple light on the bow to help see and steer by. "Damn this is going to be hard, Chanur, we need to make a run for it. We we don't make this turn soon we'll never make it!" Daerith is shouting over the wind now, he's double checked his pockets, and few good spells ready to go as well.
Aid another on Chanur's next check, figure the Unseen and Daerith are worth an Aid Another.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:53 am

Fin prays to Procan before joining in with Daerith and Chanur, "Mighty Procan, Lord of Storms, your humble servant requests that you grant us the skill see this storm out and that you stay your wrath long enough for us to get to shelter, that we may witness your might without harm!"
Use the Karma prayer bead and cast Prayer on the lot of us and anyone else within 40 ft. Then aid another on Chanur with Prof. (Sailor) Sheet updated.
Prayer only lasts 1 round/level so even with Karma it'll only last a minute, so I'm not sure how much that will help.

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:38 am

With the weather worsening the exhausted Dwarf must go at it again but sharing the single minded devotion of his kin wih the rest of the crew the hardy Dwarf does his best to help a hand in settting the ship back on course.
Aid another profession sailor
Big Pimpin...