Chapter Four - Here There Be Monsters

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Temple to Demogorgon - Round 3

Post by Trogdor » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:58 pm

Berek is angry from the attack he just took, and he takes it out on the bar-igura in front of him. Twice he slashes with his enlarged axe, and twice he hits the demon. Moreover, to the demon's surprise, the blade cuts right through its defenses. Not so with the spiked shield, however. But even so, Berek's shield bash is so powerful that the demon is nearly stunned by the blow.

Chanur then speeds around the fire pit and stabs at the demon from behind. Unfortunately, the thing is too quick. And even pinned between Berek and Chanur, it avoids the blow.

Wavedancer turns to an oldie but a goodie and summons four balls of force that he hurls at the demon. But then it's the half-sea-elf's turn to be shocked as the force balls pop like soap bubbles when they make contact with the bar-igura. Apparently it has some kind of a resistance to magic.

Urol, now on the ground and being defended by his friends, simply collapses to the ground whimpering.

Daerith and Fin react.
Berek full attacks Olangru: 29; hit for 21 / 30; hit for 24 / 36; hit for 20 (-10 DR) = 10 / 20; miss (= total 55 damage)
(I generally assume that the first shield bash is not a Bull Rush, since a successful Bull Rush on that one would eliminate the second shield bash.)

Chanur moves and attacks (+2 flank): 23; miss

Wavedancer casts MM at Olangru.
Caster level check (vs SR 20): 15; fail
Round 3: Daerith 26, Fin 19, Olangru 12, Berek 9, Chanur 9, Wavedancer 7, Urol 1

Effects
All: Protection from Electricity: 60 points each
All: Haste
Berek: Protection from Evil (+2 Deflection AC vs. evil creatures, immune to mind control)
Berek: Axe is cold iron
Berek: Enlarged
Daerith: Torothalion is cold iron
Wavedancer: Shocking images [5]
Berek: 44/92
Chanur: 68/69
Daerith: 72/76
Wavedancer: 65/66

Olangru: -55

Everyone else at full.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Temple to Demogorgon - Round 3

Post by Vardaen » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:20 am

Daerith steps over to the enemy, his weapon slicing as he does. The blade is enchanted to make it purely more magical in nature and that should do the trick slicing through the things hide. "Ape! Where is the master of the Fogmire! There is no way you are the only creature here, you are pathetic, and could not be such. Where is your master?" He slices a second time with Torothalion, both times both hands swinging his blade for a bit more umph.
Wow I'm weak on spells right now.

5ft West
Full Attack (Two Handed) Line 32 on my sheet.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:12 am

Fin rushes to Berek's side, a prayer on his lips, to heal his injured ally. His magical reserves are running low, but with luck there's enough let to see this fight through.
Move NE x3, sacrifice Remove Curse to cast Cure Serious Wounds on Berek, sheet updated

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:57 am

Daerith doesn't have much in the way of magic left. So instead he swings Torothalion, and swings the sword hard. Twice he tries to cut the bar-igura, but only one blow connects. Still, it's a solid blow and the demon certainly felt it.

Fin then rushes up and heals Berek, lest the bar-igura take him down.

The bar-igura looks at Daerith and says, "indeed I am the master of Fogmire. I could have been your master too. Instead I'll be your killer." But instead of attacking Daerith, the demon remains focused on Berek. It hovers up five feet and attacks with claw and fang, scoring the dwarf with one claw and biting his arm.

The heroes, nearly tapped out on resources, act next.
Daerith full attacks (2H): "20" (23; no critical); hit for 11 / 21; miss

Fin casts CSW on Berek: 18 points healed.

Olangru levitates 5 feet and full attacks Berek: 21; miss / 32; hit for 16 / 23; hit for 7 = 23 damage total
Round 3: Daerith 26, Fin 19, Olangru 12, Berek 9, Chanur 9, Wavedancer 7, Urol 1

Effects
Berek: Protection from Evil (+2 Deflection AC vs. evil creatures, immune to mind control)
Daerith: Torothalion is cold iron
Berek: 55/108

Olangru: -66

Everyone else at full.

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:10 pm

With the pesky critter trying to fly away from him Berek knows he must act swiftly. He takes the blows in stride and knows if this thing want's to go blow for blow with him it will die first.
Full attack again. Wondering can I cull rush the bugger into the firey pit of death? If so I'd love to. Also I doubt this guy is the big boss so I'm holding off on my final rounds of rage and ranger's focus...
Big Pimpin...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:21 pm

I think the positioning is wrong to try and bull rush him into the fire. Berek would actually have to pull him towards the fire rather than push him into it.
Berek is annoyed at the bar-igura, but not entirely convinced that he's really the Master of Fogmire. So he holds back, just a little, as he attacks the demon. Unfortunately, the bar-igura seems to sense this. So, when Berek first swings his axe, the demon catches it and twists the shaft, knocking Berek to the ground.

Chanur, Wavedancer, Daerith, and Fin react.
Berek full attacks Olangru: "1" (21; fumble)
Slipped: you are knocked prone.
Becuase this was your first attack, I'll let you decide whether to use your remaining attacks or take a move action to stand up.
Round 3: Daerith 26, Fin 19, Olangru 12, Berek 9.6, Chanur 9.4, Wavedancer 7, Urol 1

Effects
Berek: Prone
Daerith: Torothalion is +3
Daerith: Mirror images [5]
Berek is prone.
Berek: 55/108

Olangru: -66

Everyone else at full.

mysticknight232
Level 11
Level 11

Post by mysticknight232 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:38 pm

Wavedancer is undeterred by his spell fizzling on the monster before them. He tries again, firing his orbs of energy at the hideous creature that stands before them.

After completing his spells, he decides to move into a different position so the group isn't so bunched up. He moves to the opposite side of the pit of lava in a direct line with the bar-igua and Daerith.
Another burst of magic missile at the target. Sheet updated. Also, move Ex3 and Nx3. I have a couple wands I want to try to use if possible but they are cones so I think I need to position myself differently and am trying to do that while getting out of the way of some crazy fireblast spell or anything he may not have tipped his hand to so far.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:25 am

I think you meant to move WEST (left)

Its easy, spell the word WE

WE don't want to get the map stuff wrong

W(est)E(ast)
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:00 am

Fin quickly continues his prayers of healing, reaching out to lay hands upon the prone Berek's injuries.
Sacrifice Remove Disease to cast Cure Serious Wounds on Berek, sheet updated.

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:28 pm

Don't I have to confirm a critical fumble before falling prone? If you already rolled that I'll get up instead of attacking from prone.
Berek curses and gets back to his knees weary that the Demon might whack him over the face.
Big Pimpin...