Chapter Five - Tides of Dread

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Interrogating the Prisoner

Post by Vardaen » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:35 am

Daerith pats the man on the shoulder, "You've done good, and you can stand with us on the Sea Wyvern when we get it back. We need good sailors, and we do good work. We will call on you soon enough."

He turns to Lavinia and Avner's Uncle, "I am officially taking Lefty here into the crew of the Sea Wyvern. Rationalize it however you want, but he's spared the noose, as should all of those who are willing to turn their life around and join us in defense of Foreshore. We will need to sort out what to do next, because we don't plan to let Farshore fall to the Crimson Pirates. We've faced them on the open sea before and sailed away. We will do it again, and we will repel any attack here, together."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:17 pm

Fin gives a sharp elbow to Daerith before turning apologetically to Lavinia and Lord Meravanchi.

"Procan's magic has detected only truth in.. 'Lefty's' words. If given the chance, he truly intends to make amends."

The priest attempts to change the subject quickly to avoid any overt hostilities between Daerith and the de facto leader of the town that might damage the group's position on the whole.

"I think our best course of action in terms of preparation to start out would be to retrieve the Sea Wyvern and the rest of her crew, That'll give us some more mobility and more people to work towards the town's defense, not to mention the supplies that could be recovered."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:10 pm

Daerith winces as he's elbowed, he didn't say anything he thinks is bad, he certainly wasn't shouting or anything. So he changes topics with Fin, "Agreed, we are going to need some supplies, timber, tar, that sort of thing, to repair the damage. Perhaps the Olmani Tribes can also help us."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Planning for the Defense of Farshore

Post by Trogdor » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:42 pm

When Daerith says that he'll take Lefty onto the Sea Wyvern's crew, Lord Meravanchi gets a little color in his face and steps forward. "That's not a matter for you to decide," he says firmly. "That's the Town Council's bailiwick. And as far as I'm concerned, that man deserves to hang as a lesson to anyone who would threaten Farshore."

At this, Lavinia steps forward and shows that she is a force to be reckoned with as well. "Manthalay," she says in a firm, but reasonable, voice. We have more important things to deal with right now that the trial of common pirate. There are only eight weeks before Farshore is attacked by the Crimson Fleet - maybe less. We need to start preparations, and we need to start them right away - without delay, and without distractions. Lefty has given us good information that might well save the colony. If Daerith wants to take him onto their crew, that's good enough for me."

There is a long silence as Lavinia and Lord Meravanchi stare at each other, this being as much a test of wills as an argument. But Lavinia has the facts on her side, and they both know it. So in the end, it's Lord Meravanchi who concedes. "Very well," the charismatic nobleman says with a scowl. "But your Sea Wyverns are taking responsibility for that reprobate. If he so much as steals a copper coin, they'll all be due a reckoning."

Thankfully, after a moment or two, the tension breaks as Jeran Emrikad, keeper of Farshore's hall of records, speaks up to answer some comments by Daerith and Fin. "I'm afraid fixing your ship will be impossible right now," he says. "We're desperately short of tar right now. That's why we haven't repaired the Blue Nixie yet. And I daresay we'll have a hard time repairing the damage to the palisade as well." He shakes his head sadly. "Normally we get our tar from the Olmans up in Tanaroa. There's a large tar pit on the Isle of Dread, and they have a trail right out to it. But lately one of those thunder lizards has moved in to claim the area around the tar pit as its own. And it's not just any thunder lizard. This one is old enough and nasty enough that the Olman's have actually given it a name - Temauhti-tecuani. I'm afraid we won't get the tar we need to repair your ship until that thunder lizard is dealt with."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: Planning for the Defense of Farshore

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:55 am

Daerith stares down Manthalay along with Lavinia, but his eyes glance to Avner to see how he reacts to his uncle's blood thirstiness. When its settle he motions at Left, "You talk to Captain Chanur, he will get you set up."

Then the mention of the tar comes up, "Seems we know the first thing we need to do then. Kill this Temauhti-tecuani, a task no doubt difficult, but one the Sea Wyverns are up for. We've kill plenty of monsters in the past, and aren't afraid to do so again." He is now ignoring Manthalay and speaking only to Lavinia and Jeran, he has no need to ask Avner's uncle for permission. This is his ship, his friends, and his life he's talking about here. Making sure to include all the Sea Wyverns Daerith looks at Fin and Berek, Wavedancer, and Chanur. "Well? First thing in the morning maybe? You knew we weren't going to get much rest."

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:56 am

Fin grins at Daerith's coment, apparently feeling relieved that the tension has let up a bit.

"Aye, we never really do. First thing in the morning it is, then."

The priest turns to Jeran Emrikad, "Sir, can you tell us directions to this place and any other issues Farshore has pending or supplies you may be in need of? If we're going inland we might as well make the most of it."
Just trying to get the list in character :)

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:28 pm

"So what's Slayer of Temauhti-tecuani in Olman? me thinks that's a badge of honor that'll suite me well..."
Berek will go along with what you guys plan. Don't have as much time as I'd like for brennor's atm...
Big Pimpin...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:41 pm

"Tar would be quite enough for us right now," Jeran replies. "That's all we currently get from the Isle of Dread. As to how to get there, I've never been there myself, but I understand that there's a trail to the tar pits from Tanaroa - that's the Olman village with the giant gate blocking off the rest of the Isle of Dread."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:53 pm

Daerith nods, "We know it. We should be able to make that trip easily enough." He looks at Lavinia, and around the room. "What else is going on we should know about out there? Or in here? With two months, give to take, (more likely take) we will want to make sure we are ready for the Crimson Pirates and that nothing is left to chance. I'm not about to loose Farshore after what we had to go through to get here."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:13 pm

"We really could use any allies we can get," Lavinia replies. "Those are few and far between around here. All I can think of is the Olman tribes. They've been good to us so far, excellent trading partners, friendly neighbors. But if we could convince them to ally themselves with us, it would be a great help. I'd go myself, but I'll be busy in Farshore with other preparations." She doesn't say so, but it's also clear that leaving Farshore before the election might not be the best thing for her to do.

"Nonsense," Lord Meravanchi says. "We shouldn't be going hat in hand to these Olman savages. We should annex a few of their villages and conscript some of their people to fight for us. We'd get more defenders that way, and we wouldn't have to give them any concessions."