Chapter Five - A Trip to the Tar Pits

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Reunion

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:23 pm

Daerith takes interest in all the reports, genuinely cares, and takes copious notes when people are speaking. He is sure to invite the priest and the tribesman back to Lavina's to get their opinions on the matter. When at dinner the Magus is going over his notes, "This is not good, I had not expected so many people to be in the Meravanchi camp. Perhaps Manthalay is a fine man, but if he's even a bit like Avner then I have to believe him in charge will hurt Farshore, and us. I will turn all my efforts to campaigning now. We can hope the towns folks take direction and continue to build the watch towers." He looks at the Captain, "We need the Sea Wyvern back in harbor, that will bring us a good amount of clout and defense. Captain you have to lead a group back to repair it and get it into port. I hate to split our efforts but I think we must. Lavina what are your thoughts?" He swirls some win in a glass and drinks it down happy for civilization once again.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:38 pm

Grask takes up Daerith's offer, following the Elf out of the chamber. Grask is drawn by those who serve the side of good, and would be glad to provide what services he can.

Simira is becoming increasingly restless, the longer Grask is away. By the time Grask makes his way outside, Simira is aggressively bashing things with her head.
"Simira! Rrok!" Grask commands in what others assume is Orcish. Simira freezes in place and stares at Grask for a moment before calming down and forgetting what she was so worked up about. Simira is a Pachycephalosaurus of a brown color and a lighter brown underbelly. Hanging off her exotic saddle is some of Grask's gear, but what stands out the most is a boulder on the end of a short bit of rope. Grask runs his hand along Simira's neck, "Golog bosnauk" He says.
For those who understand Orc:

"Simira! Rrok!" - Simira! Hold!
"Golog bosnauk" - Elf Ally

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:42 pm

Lavinia lets out a long sigh when Meravanchi's name is mentioned. "He was effectively running Farshore until I arrived," she said. "What with my parent's deaths disrupting all timetables, the colony was left on its own far longer than it ought to have been. And during that time, a number of the colonists began to feel under-appreciated, Manthalay included. When I arrived, suddenly everything was thrown askew, much to Manthalay's dismay. A number of the colonists who were loyal to my parents fell in under my banner, giving me a voice equal to his."

"I have to say to start that Manthalay isn't a terrible man - certainly not like his brother. He can be reasoned with, and I do think he genuinely has the colony's best interests at heart. It's just that I don't agree with the direction he wants to take Farshore. He's not as friendly with the Olman tribes as my parents were, for one thing. If he had his way, Farshore would annex several of the smaller native villages and settle colonists to run them. I also think he has his mind too much in his pockets. He's done very well in building up the economy in Farshore thus far. But with the Crimson Fleet coming, we need to focus all of our efforts on defense."

"The direction Farshore eventually takes will depend largely on who wins the election for lord mayor. In some ways it's become a referendum on our respective policies. Now, Manthalay and I both respect the rule of law enough that we'll accept what the colony decides. But I have no intention of letting my parents' legacy fall prey to his wrong-headed ideas. Unfortunately, he's had Avner helping him with his campaigning, to great success. I fear Avner may have swayed as many as a dozen people to his uncle's side. I appreciate hearing that you'll be actively helping with my campaign. Frankly, it needs it."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:11 am

Daerith puts his hand on Lavina's, "We have been away too long, but I wouldn't concede that point to Manthalay. I plan to remain here until the election. Its amazing that he fails to realize that it was his family that failed to send any help while your's was dealing with the tragic death of your parents. The Meravanchis are more to blame for forgetting Farshore than the VanderBorens are. Still, we have our work cut out for us. Avner is a cad and a bastard, but I've seen him flash that smile and win over folks for some odd reason. If I didn't know better I would say he's a bard with a bit of enthrall magic to hold the attention of his targets." He finishes off his drink.

"I guess we should make some proper introductions however to our new allies. " He shakes hand with the pair, "I am Daerith Amyln, head of the Sea Wyverns, Hero of Sasserine, and Lavina's partner." The way he says *partner* makes it clear that he means that in a romantic way. "I haven't had the pleasure of meeting either of you. I do appreciate your help back there. Tell me more of yourselves."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:26 am

Grask detaches a darkwood shield from Simira's saddle and straps it to his right arm. "I am a Druid from the forests just outside of Farshore here. When I heard about you and your group's feat of defeating Temauhti-tecuani I had to come see for myself. I know these lands like the back of my hand and came to your group in hopes of joining your cause of good." Grask then straps a mace to his belt, which seems to be made out of granite, and hauls the heavy boulder-like flail over his shoulder with ease. "That is.. if you would have me."
Last edited by AdamDaBomb11 on Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:52 am

Daerith leans back in his chair, "So you are a tribesman of the Olman, a tracker and woodsman, and by the look of you you have some Orc blood in you. You expect we would just take you on into our group because you are impressed with our slaying of the great beast Temauhti-tecuani?" He glances around the room a sly look on his face. "I like it!" He pushes off to stand and strides around the table to the half orc smiling wide, "Unless Lady Vanderboren here has something evil to say about you, I welcome you aboard to the Sea Wyverns!" his hand sticks out awaiting a hearty forearm shake.

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:05 am

"You will not find evil here" Grask says as he grasps Daerith's forearm. The half-orc is easily seen as being far more civilized then anyone would expect from a tribesman, let alone a half-orc. "I hope together we can unite this Isle for the better. True goodness should be shared by all."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:45 am

Lavinia shakes her head. "No complaints here. I've had nothing but good relations with the Olman tribes," Lavinia says. "And my parents' notes describe them as welcoming as well. I have no qualms about bringing an Olman into my employ."

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:18 am

Chanur listens to Lavinia give a run down of things after the Wyverns left. He nods to Chanur "I'll gather up some of the crew and some supplies head to the ship at first light. Hopefully its salvageable. Well if you lose the election we can always kill Merivanchi" Chanur says half joking wishing he was that kind of person. The towns defenses are astonishingly shoddy for Merivanchi being nominally in charge these past years. The man has a complete lack of foresight. A prosperous town this far out is a guarantee for piracy." Chanur scratches his chin a little "No matter i suppose. No use crying over spilled mead. What has the Jade Ravens been doing this whole time?"

Turning to Grask Chanur bows and flourishes his hat "Captain Chanur Von'Drak. Captain of the Sea Wyvern, and loyal member of the Sea Wyverns company. Faithful friend of Lady Vanderboren. Grask? Grask right, you look capable. You are also not what I would have expected from a Half Orc Native, no offense intended. I just would have expected something a bit wilder."

"I will have to visit Amella after this, to make arrangements."
This thread has been busy! Sorry for falling behind.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:12 pm

"I think Captain we have to split our forces. You need to take some men back to the Wyvern, and I have to lead the campaign for Lavinia's Mayoral race. If we can get those both done, while the locals build the watch towers we could still come out on top." He looks at the Grask and the corpulent priest, "Which would be best for you both to lend your support too?"