Chapter Six - Negotiating with Monsters

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:48 pm

With the arrival of several ships, there is a flood of people in Farshore. Almost overnight, the population has more than tripled. People are sleeping on floors and in tents as structures are being quickly built to house the newcomers. Most are from Sasserine, where The Blue Nixie has returned with other vessels. But only recently Chanur has also returned on The Kraken having made port on a far-off island called Nippon, where he has made very valuable trades for spices and bolts of silk, and even brought some settlers and explorers back with him.

Unfortunately, in the wake of the Crimson Fleet assault, numerous rumors have spread through Farshore. The death of Lavinia Vanderboren's brother Vanthus, his involvement with the Crimson Fleet, and his demonic nature are all tales that have been told and exaggerated again and again. Hearing these stories, some have come to question Lavinia's right to lead the people of the colony, and whispers of a hidden fiendish taint in her soul and ties to the Crimson Fleet grow stronger every week. This slander is fueled in large part by not-so-secret whispers from the Meravanchis, yet it still erodes Lavinia's authority in Farshore.

Vanderboren Manor is one of the largest and most lavishly appointed homes in Farshore. Rivaled only by Lord Meravanchi's Estate, the whitewashed mansion's two-story height is crowned by a small dome set with stained-glass windows that depict sailing ships. and fair seas. Within, much of the house remains unused, dusty gray sheets covering fine furniture and artwork in all the rooms except the kitchen, dining hall, Lavinia's quarters, and the room she's invited Grask to occupy. Having taken up the reins as Farshore's leader, Lavinia has spent little time seeing to her personal affairs.

It is still early in the morning one day and Lavinia ushers Daerith and Grask into the dining room for an early breakfast. Toast coffee, juice, fresh fruit, and turtle eggs lay spread out on the sideboard. She waves the two to take their food, as she does the same. Within a few moments, everyone is seated. The chapel bell can be heard ringing in the distance.

"As you know," she begins. "With the loss of Chanur, Fin, Wavedancer, and Berek, the Sea Wyverns are down to just you two. Worse yet, the Jade Ravens have broken up, depriving me of yet more help when I need it most. This cannot stand." Lavinia shakes her head. "To that end, Daerith and I have been seeing if any of the newcomers to Farshore would be suitable additions to your group. After much conversation, we think that there are three people that might serve. I've asked them all to come here for breakfast when the chapel bell rings the day in, so we'll all have a chance to meet them properly."

As she speaks, there is a knock on the door and her butler pokes his head in. "Milady, your guests have arrived."

"Very good, Emerson," she replies. "Please show them in."

A moment later, the butler returns with three people in tow, who stand arrayed just inside the door.

"Very good," Lavinia says. "Welcome to Vanderboren Manor. I'm Lavinia Vanderboren, as you all probably know. This is Daerith, and this is Grask. Please, get some food and introduce yourselves. We have much to discuss."
All of the new PCs have received an invitation from either Lavinia or Daerith to come to breakfast for a job proposal. All have accepted and arrive on time.

For the sake of Daerith and Grask, the new PCs have been vetted as being trustworthy people.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:42 pm

Daerith Amyln, now known in Farshore as "The Dreadblade" for his prowess and valor in the defense of Farshore is a tall slender elf with stark white hair, and a sly grin on his face at most times. He is handsome, even with his strangely arcane appearance. Today the elf wears finery common to the nobles of Sasserine (with a hint of local tribal affectations), if not a bit out of date seeing how far Farshore is from that cosmopolitan city. Still he does his best to be dressed richly. He lacks any sort of combat gear save for one piece that he never without -- his blade. Torothalion is well known, the long dueling blade of Sasserine is richly appointed, with silver threads on the pommel and white calf skin under that which is magically kept clean. The scabbard is mother of pearl & red garnet with moon and wave motifs on it and must be worth as much as the blade inside. This weapon, named Torothalion, is known as the Brother of the Cherry Dawn, is as famous now in Farshore as its owner is.

Daerith is flopped in one of the chairs near the head of the table, one leg up and over the arm of the chair. In one hand is a glass of something (likely wine even at this early hour). His half eaten plate of turtle eggs and thick toast has been picked at but some remains pushed just a bit away from him. (Yet he refuses to let the servants take it away.) When Lavina greets the new arrivals the magus rolls his hand a bit to signal that he's Daerith not Grask. "A pleasure to see you could make it at this gods awful hour of the morning."
You can see a collection of combat images for Daerith here:
viewtopic.php?p=124679#p124679

Welcome all to the game, and a big THANK YOU to Trog for restarting this game, Daerith has always been my most favorite character on the site!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:18 pm

If there was anything that ever looked out of place, it is Grask. He is a Half-Orc who seems to take more after his Orc side than his Human side. He is large with muscles like tree trunks and he wears some sort of armor made out of rhino hide. He sits upright in his chair but it is clear the chair he is in is just barely able to contain him. His face is that of nightmares and scary stories you would tell to misbehaving children. A big toothy mouth with two easily noticeable tusks and eyes that are slightly slanted inward. All the food on his plate is gone and in his hand he holds a small stone figurine of what you can tell is some sort of two-legged dinosaur. Despite his appearance, those that can sense magical auras can feel an increadibly strong aura of good coming from him. "I am Grask. No last name. This is Simira." He holds up the stone figurine as he speaks the second name.

Scout89
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Gadgeteer

Post by Scout89 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:27 pm

Thin, but very fit, the girl who enters the room is of a heritage strange to most people. Her eyes have a different configuration and her clothes add to her foreigner appearance. On top of everything her accent is so strong it might take some getting used to. "Good day. I'm Shien. Good to meet you."
Shien is wearing traveling clothes and carrying a big backpack. There are two hilts poking horizontally from behind her back. Her sheet is almost ready only lacking mundane equipment.
A.K.A. Tvrod.

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:10 pm

Abigail stows Lavinia's invitation and ascends the steps of Vanderboren Manor all the while a bit nervous for what may await her inside. Upon entering, she is greeted with the others and asked to be seated. Pushing away a stray strand of her amber with blond highlighted hair, Abigail makes her way towards an available chair. Along the way, her equally amber eyes lock onto both Daerith and Grask. She is unsure what to make of Daerith's casual manner and whether or not the chair supporting Grask would hold the duration of their meeting. Her emerald green dress is not of nobility, but mildly form fitting and appropriate for most occasions. Taking a seat, she speaks with a voice more mature than her appearance might afford, "My name is Abigail Cromwell. It is a pleasure to meet all of you."
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:21 pm

We're having some delay with OR's character, so I'll move forward and fit him in later.
"Welcome to you both," Lavinia says in a welcoming tone. "I appreciate you coming so early. Please, take some breakfast." She gestures at the sideboard. Then, once everyone is settled again, she moves on to business.

"We called you here because we've heard of your prowess and your character, and we think that you might be able to help us. Daerith and Grask are members of an adventuring group in my employ named the Sea Wyverns. A number of member have just retired after a terrible fight with pirates here at Farshore. No doubt you've heard much talk about it since your arrival. That leaves the Sea Wyverns, and myself, at a bit of a loss, I'm afraid. There are tasks that need to be done for the betterment of Farshore, and the protection of both Farshore and Sasserine as well. The Sea Wyverns need to be brought back to strength."

"But I don't want to speak for them," she adds, with a loving smile to Daerith. "While they work for me, they are their own group. I leave it to their leader, Daerith, to see if he thinks you're suitable additions to the Sea Wyverns. You both come with good recommendations. But ultimately it's up to Daerith and Grask as to whether to extend you an invitation to join, and then up to you as to whether to accept."

"So Daerith, the floor is yours."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:54 pm

Daerith glances at the floor at Lavina gives it to him and thinks better of quipping some pun about the floor and who actually owns it. So he rolls out of the chair and puts his goblet down on the table. He tugs down on his tunic to clean it off and smiles - he's handsome, and charming, and has just the right amount of danger to his stance to be inviting and not off putting. He can wield his words as well as his sword.

"Greetings! Welcome! I'm very pleased to see you both took our invitation. Lavina has explained things fairly well, so no need to bore you with a repeat of that. First, does anyone want a drink? Or a pastry? They are rather good, best in Farshore. You'll find that the best in Farshore is often found under this roof. Lavina is a excellent mayor, a wonderful woman, and has the best collection of allies." He smiles as he is clearly speaking of himself a Grask and the Sea Wyvern. "We need new members, and word is that you both are excellent at what you do. Now our little company is one who troubleshoots problems for Lavina and Farshore, but also is just oozing with adventurous spirit and the love of exploration and seeing what treasures and adventure lie just over the horizon, or around the next corner."

He walks with a bit of swagger around the chamber sizing up the two ladies. "Me, I'm what some would call a magus, a eldritch knight, or a spellblade. Its all a bunch of fancy words for someone that fights with blade and spell combined. Grask here is a druid, a earth sorcerer, and one heck of a half-orc to have on your side during a bar brawl!" He winks at Grask as he stops, "Word is that you both have talents in various abilities, we are in need of someone with a divine bent, someone that can help keep us patched up while taking down our foes (which are many on the Isle of Dread). We also need an expert treasure hunter, someone who understands booby traps, locks, and the occasional need for stealth. We aren't looking for a Paladin with some blind devotion to his faith, or some wizard seeking to steal the arcane secrets from every person we come across. We need, in every classical sense of the word an Adventurer!"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:18 pm

Abigail watches Daerith as he starts his pitch, taking note of the various needs they are looking for. Having come to Farshore with a particular directive from Sasserine, this was sounding compelling enough that alternate plans would have to be made. Rather hungry, she gets up, grabs a plate and surveys the available food. As she is populating her plate, "I do not limit myself to any sort of blind devotion as you put it, so no worries there. I am skilled in the arts of healing, but if that was all, I'd be rather boring don't you think?" Leaving the rest of her talents open ended, she takes her seat again, "I may fancy myself a bit of adventure." Taking a bite from one of the recommended pastries, "These are quite good."
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:17 pm

Grask nods his head when Daerith introduces him, but remains quiet to let the Elf do the talking.

Scout89
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Gadgeteer

Post by Scout89 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:45 pm

Shien watches as the others talk and waits for her time to speak. "Yes, I know how to go around. With traps or not. And I have some training in not being seen. So I guess I might be useful to you."
A.K.A. Tvrod.