Chapter Six - Negotiating with Monsters

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Chapter Six - Negotiating with Monsters

Post by Trogdor » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:08 pm

MacLaren has the right of it. What's really needed here more than anything else, is a willingness to get mucked up. It would have involved an even more terrible stench, but Grask's spell seems to have solved that problem. For the moment, everyone is surrounded by a thin layer of clean air that seems to continually refresh. It offers a blessed relief from the smell of the cavern, and is doubly welcome to those who gather the poultice.

"They don't want to be cured, you know," Irgzid replies to Daerith as the poultice is being harvested. "They view this disease as a holy sending from Laogzed, the poor deluded fools. Though they do use the poultice to stave off the worst of the disease. Apparently dying of the disease is a bit much of a devotion for them." He looks disappointed, as much as you can tell moods on a troglodyte.

"Leaving some of the poultice will help in the short term. A few will live a bit longer. But it's no long-term solution. Now that the other priests are dead, there's no one left who can brew the Poultice. It was Largzil and Trizkan that were the experts. And I saw the two of them die at your hands. And without the poultice, Laogzed's Embrace is fatal."

When Daerith approaches the Olman and speaks to him, it's clear that the man understands language, at least a little bit. He comes when he's called, and he responds to very basic questions or commands, much like a domesticated dog would. But he has no language and seems to have the intelligence you'd expect from a smart animal.

The next hour is a bit tiring, what with scooping out the poultice and getting it into the containers that the troglodytes had ready for it. But with Grask's spell up, it's tolerable. Soon the group has eighteen jars of the black pulp poultice. The real question is what to do with their haul, as well as the simple-headed Olman.
Concocted from rare and near-poisonous molds found under the Island of Dread, the preparation of black pulp poultice requires stewing the fungus within the body of a disease-ravaged corpse. Any creature that applies a warm layer of this stinking glop to the neck and chest halts the progress of any non-magical disease for 24 hours. THe poultice allows the subject to skip the required saving throw against the disease for the day that the treatment is in effect. During this period, the subject accrues no further ability damage from the disease. Furthermore, the incubation period of any disease to which the subject is exposed during the black pulp poultice duration does not begin until the remedy expires.

Faint conjuration (healing); CL 2nd; Prerequisite: Brew Potion, delay disease; Market Price: 50 gp; Weight: -

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:15 pm

Finally the barrels are ready, Daerith has helped move them but he spent most of the time with the Olmani trying to communicate with him. He's given him food and drink and been nice to the man. "What can you tell me of this man Irgzid?"

He muses to the company that perhaps the man is cursed, or diseased, or suffering some madness of other malady that could be cured with a spell. He asks Agibal and Grask to see what they think, a few detection spells, and an exam later he is trying to see if the Olmani's feeble-mindedness is from a spell (such as Feeblemind) or something else.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:26 pm

Info from trogdor
Daerith's spell complete he turns to the company, "This man is suffering from a feeblemind spell. He's been made this way, not born this way. The only cure I know for it is a Heal prayer, but that's a rather potent and powerful spell. I think I know the answer to this already, but can either of you manage that?" When the confirmation of a no is given he nods, "I thought so. So we will need to keep him safe for now, and hope we can cure his malady later on. Perhaps he could haul out barrel for us up to the dock in the mean time."

He moves over the piled stock of poultice which is near the extra tunnel. He mimes lifting it and moving it up the tunnel, and points way way up the passage to see if the man would be able to do it. "I would ask Irgzid to help us with these and him, but we need the Trogloddtye priest to show us the way down still."
Have we explored all the item sin the NE of the cave? Make sure we do before we leave
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:29 pm

Irgzid tells what he knows, but it's not much. The man was brought in just a few days before MacLaren was. He was captured in the jungle above the caverns where he was wandering aimlessly. From what the troglodytes who captured him said, the Olman warrior was like that when they found him. They decided that it was better to hold him and let him die of Laogzed's Embrace than to kill him out of hand, so they brought him here.
Where to now? You can't easily carry all of your loot with you if you want to move further into the tunnels and let Irgzid lead you to the LOrds of Dread. Is it back to the ship with a load of loot or do you leave some of it behind? It's about an hour or two to get back to the ship. Irgzid implies that it's days of travel if you want to move deeper into the caverns.

Also, Daerith and Abigail would know that LImited Wish (wizard 7), Miracle (cleric 9), and Wish (wizard 9) would also cure the Olman warrior. Not that you have access to any of those either.

Yes, you have checked the whole place out.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:58 pm

Daerith takes a seat, he doesn't wish to delay long, but knows right now things have to be handled right. "We are going to be gone days it sounds like. We should take everything back to the ship, our Olmani friend here as well. Let the ship know what has happened and what to expect. We can clean up, eat something in fresh air, then return and make the trip down to the Lords of Dread. Does anyone have reason to do otherwise?"

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:38 pm

"Do we planning on resting, before we gead further into the tunnels? If so, I could change into a creature better suited to hauling all this stuff out of here. But I only have two more shifts for the day." Grask says as he gathers the black pulp barrels. "I dont necessarily have the skill set to make these into poultices, but I could definitely aid someone in doing so. Or I could take a crack at it, but I wouldn't be able to guarantee anything."
I assume Craft:Alchemy would be needed to make them into anything useful.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:14 pm

Into a moment of silence comes a low, polite cough.

"If our Olmani friend has been afflicted with simplicity, Captain, he might be useful in helping us return the barrels to the surface. Conversely, the exertions of deeper in the island would endanger his life to no benefit."

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:17 pm

Mamoon cares not for the group's decision, though from the smile upon his face, he appears to agree with Daerith's decision to return to the ship. Simply put, the man is extremely glad to be done lumbering about in a smelly pit of slimy goo and silently rejoices at the notion of bathing himself off in the cool waters of an ocean blue. In time, he responds. "Whatever the Captain wishes to be our best decision, I support fully."
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:34 pm

"Agreed Maclaren."

He attempts to gauge the time, impossible down here, but he pieces together what he can from their efforts. "Alright, I've decided. We all return to the ship, we will spend the night on board. Tend to our wound, our booty, and our new companions. Then we return in the morning to our Trogoldyte ally and we will venture down into the bowels of this place fresh and ready."
Assuming its getting on in the day, this makes sense to me. It gives us a decision and move us forward

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:27 pm

The decision is made. The group will head back to the ship with the animalistic Olman and the pile of potions and explain what's happened to the crew. Among other things, it looks like the trip into the mountain will be a much greater undertaking than it appeared it would, and it wouldn't do to let the crew despair and give the Sea Wyverns up for dead when they didn't reappear for days.

So, everything is packed up. Grask takes on a form good for travel, and everyone heads back to the ship. It's a quick and simple trip. Even the Olman warrior isn't a problem, as he remains clever, even if he's lost his intelligence. He follows like a dog, easily managing the trip through the caverns.

Back on the ship loot is stored, explanations are made, and the Olman warrior is stowed in a cabin. The Sea Wyverns have a quiet night as they prepare for a long trek in the morning.

By the next dawn, everyone is well-rested and well-supplied for a long trip into the mountain.