Chapter Six - Negotiating with Monsters

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Re: Chapter Six - Negotiating with Monsters

Post by JohnnyWeird » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:13 pm

Maclaren is among the first awake among the morning shift, and on deck and ready early. Gone is the ragged, haggard prisoner the Sea Wyverns rescued. Immaculately groomed and dressed in spotless leathers, he is a picture of poise with a rapier at his side and a shortbow slung at his back.

A pleasant smile and a short bow greets each of his comrades as they assemble.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:09 pm

Daerith makes sure to enjoy a good supper and healthy breakfast. He makes sure to invite MacLaren to dinner with the officers that night and asks the man many questions about himself, like what was he doing in the area, where do it alliances lie, skills, languages, tactics he prefers and he gives the man some information on the group. It would not due to take on a new member without sharing some tactical information.

He makes sure everyone sees the ship's doctor before bedtime, they were among to much disease and he wants to make sure everyone has a clean bill of health before setting out.

Morning and Daerith is ready, also well dressed, his leathers clean and tidy, he's prepared his spells in particular for the decent. He also has a few other items brought forward for the company to take. "We are going underground for who knows how long. Stock up on food and water, and we need to take these...." he motions at a heavy miner's pick, shovel, crowbar, and set of general tools. "Just in case we get buried down there we'll need a way out beyond Grask's earth form. Grask, be sure you have a few more anti-disease spells handy as well. Light will also be an issue, have that cantrip ready all of you."
Okay a long trip tunneling into a dungeon under the earth against disease and plague.

Who has a Bag of Holding? I don't!!!

If you do take the Pick and Shovel and Tools. That will help us no doubt at some point.

Food and Water stock up. A poultice each as well, maybe 2 each, so if we get diseased we can ignore it will we get done.

Light Spells, and Cure Disease. Make sure everyone has a heal check done of them tonight to see if we caught anything, and if so, treat it ASAP and then check the crew.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:33 pm

As for disease, the Olman is sick with Vile Rigidity, that's clear from the black scales all over his body. He's kept isolated from the others, but if he's left like this, it's only a matter of time before he dies, not to mention that he might infect others along the way.

Also, in the morning Grask feels a but stiff and can see the beginnings of some black flakes on his skin. It seems that he's caught the terrible disease himself, though thankfully he seems to be the only one among the Sea Wyverns who has.
For now only Grask and the Olman warrior have Vile Rigidity. Remember, you have one potion of cure disease.

It looks like no one has a bag of holding, though your new recruit has a handy haversack.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:52 pm

The moment its clear Grask is suffering the disease the Captain has him quarantined with the Olmani. "Grask you'll have to deal with this yourself. I would ask you purge the plague from yourself and our companion now and prepare a few more spells of that type for the trip. We have one potion, I'll hold in reserve in case we need it on the road and you can't perform."
I think Grask needs to memorized atleast 3 Remove Disease. Cast 2 of them ASAP, save the third. Daerith can take the potion for use later for the group
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:56 pm

"Certainly, Captain."

Maclaren moves to store the tools and whatever extra rations and water he might fit in his haversack. As he does, he casts his mind back to his conversation with Daerith over dinner.

"The Maclarens have served various nobles of Sasserine since Teraknian's days, Captain. I was serving as a valet when the young gentleman who employed me renounced his title and left the city rather suddenly. In his absence I had the opportunity to start anew, and have done so.

"Skills I had honed in service - moving unseen, subtle forms.of communication, facility with mechanisms, etc. - proved valuable to persons requiring discrete services. The recovery of stolen goods, the removal of vulnerable persons to safety, and the acquisition of lost items were my specialties. I served briefly with Zelkarune's Horns retrieving animals for gladiatorial fights, which gave me a taste for exploration and treasure hunting. I was sailing to try my hand as an adventurer when my ship was wrecked. It was in this state that I was captured, and it was my capture that led to our meeting.

"Allegiances? I find myself, Captain, with none at the moment. My contract with the Horns ended amicably. My prior employer provided a letter of reference and a handsome severance, but I haven't seen him since. I have no outstanding clients, and do not worship. My loyalty extends at this point, Captain, to you and your companions, in gratitude for my rescue.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:56 pm

During dinner Daerith was pleased with Maclaren's manner, the man was well spoken, dressed neatly, and didn't seem to be a sullen lone wolf, reckless blood thirsty buccaneer, or a pompous cad. Honest enough as far as those in his profession went, and everything told Daerith this was a man he could work with. So when dinner was over, and the Captain explained the general goals of the Sea Wyverns he produced a small contract, a simple and to the point. It offered the man a place as crew on the ships, entitled to rights and shares as standard. It also included a place for him on 'special missions' including a equal percentage of any loot or gains, and equal voice in decision making as a member of the company (of course with the Captain having a bit more say in matters). "Welcome to the Sea Wyvern Maclaren."
So Daerith would tell him the point of the mission. Deal with the Dragon Turtle, find the Black Pearls, stop the Crimson Fleet. I'm not sure how much you already know. He also makes it clear we work for and with Lavina Vanderboren. We try and talk first, fight second, and we watch each others backs. He would give some general tactical info on the party too.

Daerith - Magus, spell and sword
Grask - Druid with a Dino
Agibail - Witch spellcaster
Mamoon - Bad ass with a pole arm

I think that does it.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:11 pm

Maclaren smiles as he cinches his haversack on the last of the supplies. His signature may be barely dry, but in carriage and manner he is as devoted a Sea Wyvern as any among them!
Read most of the latest arcs. He's a stealth rogue with minors in lying and trapfinding, so this should be a fine fit.

Thanks for having me aboard, everyone!

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:25 am

Mamoon spends his time back at the ship embracing the sea as much as possible. The stocky warrior lunges himself head-first into the ocean’s waters and bathes himself off quite furiously for quite some time. Once properly cleaned, he then reports back to the Sea Wyvern and aids the others in making their preparations to enter the subterranean yet again.
With a Swim +20 and further Seaborne bonuses from his Glaive-guisarme plus a rather sweetly reduced -2 ACP due to armor; Mamoon’s part Dolphin!
As dinner time commences, Mamoon eats heartily and shares what conversation is needed. It is quite apparent to all that Mamoon seems to enjoy Maclaren’s addition to the party; though why that just is, still remains quite the mystery. Perhaps Mamoon simply takes comfort in knowing that he shall not be the only one new to the group. Perhaps something else…

In the end, Mamoon finishes his meal quickly and then asks permission to be dismissed as early as possible. If/When the permission is given, the large hero spends the remainder of his evening staring off into the distance at the water and to the horizon in the distance; secretly longing to be at sea once more. Hopefully we’ll be done here soon. thinks Mamoon, his heart saddening as the view of the sea takes hold of the reins to his heart.

Hopefully soon indeed…
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:27 am

Grask, when noticing the black flakes, attempts to remove the disease from himself.
Cast remove disease of self. If it fails, he will cast delay disease on himself for now. He would rather save more cures for others.