Chapter Six - Dread Descent

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:56 pm

Savage Tide, Chapter Six, Part Two: Dread Descent

Deep beneath the Isle of Dread, in a place forgotten by the world of light, an ancient, unfathomable evil festers. It is now up to the Sea Wyverns to investigate that evil and put a stop to it. But what terrors will they face on this terrible journey?
A - The Entrance Cavern
B - Laogroat
The Sea Wyverns have had an easy night's rest in cots or hammocks, quite possibly the last comfortable sleeping place they'll get in a while. For today they begin their descent into the caves beneath the island. The troglodyte priest, Irgzid, has told them that a group called the Lords of Dread make Shadow Pearls beneath the island, the very same shadow pearls that almost destroyed them back near Sasserine and again in Farshore. These dread artifacts of terror are them given to the troglodytes who in turn give them to the Crimson Fleet. Nothing can be done about the pearls already given over to the Crimson Fleet. But the Sea Wyverns are determined that they will stop their manufacture at the source so that no future pearls will be delivered.

A boat has been lowered to take the Sea Wyverns to the caverns, and all that remains is to give final orders to the crew.
I just need a post from Adam about how Grask is handling the disease and we're good.

Last chance for any prep from the ship.

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:47 am

Grask is up early. He spends an hour or so at the front of the ship in deep meditation. Once satisfied with his meditation, he casts a spell of cleansing over himself. He waits a few minutes to see if the spell takes effect.
Got a chance to set my preparred spells. Brought along 3 remove disease spells. Grask will use one now, and if it doesnt work. He will just use delay disease on himself for now. And save the other remove diseases for emergency.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:25 pm

Grask casts a spell to remove the disease from himself, and he is gratified to see the black flakes fall off like leaves from a tree in autumn. Within moments, he is as free from the "Laogzed's Embrace" as he was when he first entered the caverns.
Remove Disease caster check: 28; success!

Are you going to cure the Olman who is diseased as well? If you're leaving him on the ship while you disappear for a week or more, you're just leaving a chance for the infection to spread.
Following the spellcasting, and what final preparations need to be made, the Sea Wyverns are rowed back to the caverns, where they begin their descent. They go past the dead troglodytes, who smell even worse than they did yesterday, not that you thought that was possible. Then it's down the corridor with the disturbing carvings on the wall. Then through well-worn passages over the course of an hour or two until the group finally arrives at Laogroat,

There they find that the bodies from yesterday are all gone, and the extra head on the statue of Laogzed has been taken off. Irgzid is tending to some of the diseased, but steps away when the Sea Wyverns arrive.

"I've arranged with those least ravaged by the disease to help treat the others. It won't be easy, but they'll survive without me. Are you ready to proceed farther into the caves beneath the island?"

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:18 pm

Abigail's demeanor sinks as the group passes through the area of conflict from the prior day. Innocent troglodytes perished by the actions of her own hands. Was it necessary? Perhaps there was another way to prevent the large number of attackers from engaging them all at once? No doubt, more situations like this will present themselves in the future and she has resigned herself to have moral gray area, not simply black or white. The sight of Irgzid brings her to the matter at hand. "Hello. From the looks of it, you've been very busy." Looking down the line at the others, "Unless someone objects, I think we are all set to proceed."
Abigail will cast Remove Disease on the Olman. I noticed I was missing a 3rd level spell and well Remove Disease is right in Abigail's wheelhouse! Sheet updated that spell is used for the day.
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Captain's Order - Cure Disease on the Olmani. Abigail's got it covered.
Captain Daerith spends a good portion of the time on ship working out the details with the First and Second Mate. He wants the crew to help the Olmani until they can purge his feeblemindedness, he might be a key resource for information about the Crimson Fleet's recent interactions. He then gives the ship leave to pull off up the coast and hide themselves after he departs.

"I want you to remain hiding up the coast, leave a scout or two over there..." he points at the coast and one of the arms of the bay. "I don't want you to engage the Crimson Fleet head on, feel free to take a target of opportunity, but without me and the others here you'll have no counter if they have spellcasters on board. I need this ship to be here when we return. Your spotters on the coast and watch the dock, we will make a green and red smoke of some sort appear, or Grask will show up in some elemental form. If supplies run low or trouble forces you, do your best to leave a message at that point, and we will manage to get home. If we aren't back in 2 months, consider us dead and move on."

Daerith makes sure the group has plenty of food and clean water, the shovels and pick axes, and other supplies like torches and oil, and a few other supplies for under ground.

Once the boat makes it to the dock, he orders it hoisted up and hidden as best they can on the shore, so at least from sea you wouldn't notice it through a spy glass.

Down with the Trogs he moves stoically through, face covered against the smell, "You've been busy I see Irgzid. We are ready."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:15 pm

"Very well," Irgzid replies. "The route to the Lords of Dread is through that pit." He gestures toward a pit in the north of the cavern. Leading the group over to it reveals that a deep crevice yawns in the stone here, dropping away into the inky dark below. A rickety wooden lift descends into the darkness, raised and lowered by a primitive pulley system of frayed ropes.

"Here is how we proceed," he says. "There are a few of my brethren strong enough to lower us. They have agreed to do so on my say so." He smiles. "There are no other priests to gainsay me. And I have convinced the people that your slaying of the priests was a sign that they were not following the true path of Laogzed."

"We can descend into the depths whenever you wish," he adds. "My things are ready now." Given that the stench in this place is no better than it was before, there seems very little reason to delay your departure.

B6: is the pit with the rope lowered down into it.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:45 pm

"You have done well by them, friend."

Maclaren smiles at the priest with whom he shared a painful captivity. His pack magically full of supplies, he nods agreement to the Captain's statement of readiness.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Re: Chapter Six - Dread Descent

Post by Eanwulf » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:10 pm

Didn't even realize that a new thread had been started. My apologies! I just added it to my Notifications.
Mamoon enjoys his time among the ocean waves. He then eats dinner then prepares himself for an extended period below ground. When morning comes, the warrior lends a hand in whatever needs to be done and after bidding some of his fellow sailors a fond farewell, gathers up his rucksack and belongings to join the others in his party.

Once back in the stench-filled caverns of Laogroat, Mamoon's senses shudder at the all-too-familiar reek of sickness and decay, intertwined with the troglodytes' own naturally secreted oils and other substances. I pray below smells better than here. the bulky warrior thinks to himself amidst his duties. Though probably not...
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:20 pm

Daerith looks south, "What's down that passage?"

He looks over at Maclaren, "You have that extra rope and stuff in your magical bag right?"
Rope! Sam you ninny! Do we need a list of the extra stuff we brought like rope and picks?
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:01 pm

Abigail leans over and peers into the pit they will need to descend. Smiling as Irgzid comments that several of his brethren can help lower them she muses, thankfully I have other ways of ascending or descending and take solace at not plummeting due to the reliance of others.
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"