Chapter Six - Dread Descent

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Re: Chapter Six - Dread Descent

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:26 am

"What would all of you prefer? I can get us across the acidic cloud worry free, but doing so would prevent me from doing it again should some other situation arise. Is 100 yards too far to be holding our breath?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue May 09, 2017 1:46 pm

"Ok, hold your breath, wrap yourselves in your cloaks, and get ready to sprint." Daerith takes this creature on his word, and with a generally fleet of foot ability, Daerith expect he at least can cross the cave quickly. "Let's go..." he inhales big, taps Irgzid to lead, then darts into the cave running at a nice clip across the cave, light held up high, the other hand holding his cloak.
Anyone in the rear with light, cast it, and use it, that gives us 2 light spells to light the way.

Daerith is faster than most, so he stays out front. Gogogogogogo.

I also did a Knowledge check, seems reasonable we should be fine if we run.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Tue May 16, 2017 2:36 pm

Abigail draws her rod of withering, and with the other hand casts a light spell upon it as she and Grask are at the rear of the group. "I will hold my breath as well. If anyone gets into trouble, for whatever reason, I will cast a bubble of clean air around your head if need be." Taking a few deep breaths, she waits for the others to go.
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed May 17, 2017 3:32 pm

The group gets ready, holds their breath, and dashes across the room with the burning pools of acid and the acid-filled air, Irgzid in the lead. It's not a pleasant place to be, but for a short time it should be bearable. You can't move as quickly as you'd like because the floor is slippery with small pools of acid, and a spill would definitely not be advisable.

The trip seems like it will be completely uneventful until the group is almost halfway across. That's when a huge blob of black rears up from the shadows and oozes toward the line of adventurers, apparently eager for a meal. It approaches Daerith and Grask, but the group is fast enough to respond before it can attack.
It's all difficult terrain for humanoids because of the drips of acid on the floor.
Round 1: Abigail 29, Maclaren 27, Irgzid 22, Grask & Simira 18, Daerith 12, Black Pudding 7, Mamoon 5
Characters in bold have already moved this turn.
Abigail: full
Daerith: 76/91
Grask: 124/124
Maclaren: full
Mamoon: full (I think)
Simira: 80/94

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed May 17, 2017 3:55 pm

"Just run! Run! Our weapons are useless, so are any spells that don't just cause harm! Beware its acidic touch it will melt you and anything you have on you, and for Sasserine's Sake don't make any desert jokes!" Daerith is far too close for comfort to the thing, so he takes his own advice and dashes for the exit, on reaching it he spins and with his hand formed so two fingers are pointing out he speaks an arcane words of power, "Igneus manebus inflatus vetorum!" He just hopes he chamber doesn't burst into flames.
Hasted Assault Arcana: 1 Arcane Point - Haste Self. Move to exit 1W of the "d" in down. It hasn't acted its Flat Footed, no AoO please. If that's not the case, Acrobatics to avoid AoO for movement.

Scorching Ray: 3 Rays

Sheet Updated
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:39 pm

Grask does exactly as Daerith days. He takes a quick step back and runs for the exit to this cavern. Simira follows Grask.
Grask: Withdraw, NW, then around and to the exit as far as he can get.

Simira: follow Grask but stay out of the blobs reach to be of her ability.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Wed May 17, 2017 6:37 pm

Nodding curtly, Maclaren dashes toward the exit.
Running SW as fast as legs can carry me in difficult terrain.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Wed May 17, 2017 11:04 pm

In Difficult Terrain, we can neither Run nor Charge, and each square costs 2 squares worth of movement to travel through. Puddings are also an asshole Gygax idea of a monster-series carryover. Not much can hurt them and commonly used tactics such as trying to whittle them down physically until there's nothing left usually covers you in acid or destroys your weapons and armor in the process.

@Trogdor - Mamoon is indeed uninjured and is at 130/130 Health. He also as a +5 Initiative modifier and I see that his roll is a 5. Did he roll a 1 or did you jot down his bonus only? Though I'll probably do my best to avoid the encounter, I'll go ahead and hold off from posting until some kind of an answer is given.

For those of you interested, I've only just recently gotten this oven mitt of a bandage set removed from my left hand and am able to start pecking away at the keyboard again unhindered (for the most part). I had an unfortunate accident recently involving an everyday butcher's knife, a crowded kitchen, my hand, and an over-excited St. Bernard who wanted to get past me rather determinedly. Luckily I'm just down to stitches and a moderate amount of stiffness in the digits, it could have been much worse.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!