Prelude: A Circle at Midnight

It has been ten years since Mastermind died defending the world from Omega. The world needed champions, it needed heroes, it needed the Protectors. Five years ago, the world would have fallen without them. One year ago only two watched over the world. The world suffered, it cried for more heroes, for more Protectors. Now the Protectors answer the world'€™s cry calling for heroes from all over the world to join their ranks. Who will answer?
The Protectors is a Mutants & Masterminds 2nd edition campaign. The story follows our heroes to when they first join the exalted ranks of the Protectors, to when they battle fiends powerful enough to destroy entire nations. How will they fare? Only time will tell.

Edited by GM Anorin
Anorin
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Prelude: A Circle at Midnight

Post by Anorin » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:45 am

That is acceptable, but I would ask to speak to you before 11 pm. I will meet you at your tower, it is a matter of some importance.

Sophia nods smiling, "I do speak Italian... fairly well, so that won't be a problem." Then pointing at Six Sophia asks, "After you take her in, do you mind dropping me off at Freedom City University? My... uh colleague was the one who drove, and I don't exactly know where he parked his car. Noon it is then! I'll meet you by the main gate of the University."
You can go ahead and post the results of your date, should you have any questions for her either include it in your post or PM me, questions about her personality included. She dodges any questions about her past over 15 years ago.
No matter what time you get back your manservant informs you a visitor arrived only moments ago and is waiting in your library.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:57 am

"That won't be a problem at all," Malador says with a smile. "We can stop at the university on my way to bringing these people to the authorities." Then he carefully moves the cutists and Six into a line on the ground and stands next to them, gesturing Sophia over. When she comes over, he waves his hand in a mystic gesture and a swirling fog surrounds them all. In a moment the fog is gone, and so are they.

At the same time, a similar fog appears on the main steps of Freedom City University. And when it dissipates, the sorcerer, professor, villain and cultists have crossed the miles from Lantern Hill.

"I'll meet you at the main gate at noon," Malador says with a small bow. "Until then, please remain safe." Then, after giving her a chance to say her goodbyes, he too is gone.
Normally, I'd say that Malador would bring Six to Lady Mystic for safekeeping. I'm not sure what the protocol is for this thing among mystics. The cultists can go to the police, though Malador will use a Hero point to get a mind clouding spell to make them forget the ritual they used. That stuff is too dangerous in the hands of amateurs. I won't try and do the same to Six - that would be insulting and likely ineffective. Besides, it's not the way mystics work in the comics. :-)
The next day finds Malador at his sanctum sanctorum, preparing to leave for his dinner date. "I shall be gone for several hours, Sallah," he says to an Arabic man dressed in a simple black outfit. "If something serious comes up, use the scrying pool to contact me. I expect Lady Mystic either shortly before or shortly after I return. If she arrives first, please make her comfortable. Sallah nods and as Malador is about to depart coughs gently.

Malador looks at his manservant and raises an eyebrow. In response. Sallah wordlessly holds out a silver money clip holding several hundred Euroes. The Atlantean sorcerer smiles abashedly and takes the clip.

"Thank you for saving me from myself," he says in appreciation, slips the money in a pocket, and disappears.

A moment later he appears in a small alleyway near the front gates of Freedom City University. He takes a moment to get his bearings and then waves his hand in front of himself. As he does, this Atlantean garb transforms into a sport jacket, slacks, and tie, appropriate for a nice dinner. So dressed, he walks out of the alley to pick up Sophia.

The trip to Rome is as quick, if a little less private, since Malador does not know Rome well enough to pick a discreet place. The best he can do is have them arrive in the shadow of the Coliseum, trusting to the shadows of dusk to make their arrival unnoticed. There they wander around the city for a half an hour until they find a nice restaurant to have their meal.

Over the course of the evening, Malador gives a better description of how he came to be imprisoned, and then released. He speaks of his difficulties in getting used to the modern world, and tells her of the decade he spent just wandering to try and understand it. And he finally acknowledges that after twenty-five years of being in the present day, he's adjusted as well as could be expectd.

But he doesn't monopolize the conversation. He asks about her job, and what she teaches and studies at the University. He's quite interested in how her father learned Atlantean, and who he was. He even asks whether she has any arcane training, since the only people he's known in the modern day who speak the language were also mystically trained. But beyond that, he asks about her travels, her interests, and hobbies. He's understandably curious about her. But each time she dodges a question, he lets it go, unwilling to press her to speak about anything she doesn't care to. He respects her silence and simply allows the conversation to move on without any awkwardness.

A few hours hours later, however, as they linger over their coffee, there is a small chiming sound and he draws forth a small silver pocket watch with Atlantean decorations on it. "I'm sorry to cut things off, Sophia," he apologizes, "but I must meet an associate tonight about an important matter. I've had a lovely time, and I'd like to see you again." He settles the bill and a short stroll later brings them to an out-of-the-way place where he can transport them once more back to Freedom City.

"I'll stop by your office sometime later in the week," he says upon their return, "to drop off those books I was telling you about. Then you can show me the rare book room like you promised." He smiles and makes his goodbyes.
Basically Malador will tell her about himself, and ask about her, the way you would on a first date. But he'll respect her privacy when she dodges his questions and just let the conversation move on. (I have my own suspicions about what she's not saying. :-) )

At the end of the date, he'll let her take the lead on how she wants it to end. He's about ten thousand years out of practice on this sort of thing, after all.
A short time later Malador appears, once more in his Atlantean garb, in the foyer of his sanctum. Sallah steps out from an antechamber and says simply, "Lady Mystic is in the library. She's only been here a few moments."

"Thank you Sallah," he replies and makes his way quickly to the library.

"Mystic," he says, stepping through the library's large wooden doors. "I'm sorry to have kept you waiting."
I'm not sure if she goes informally by Mystic. But Malador would call her whatever she prefers.

Anorin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Anorin » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:49 am

Malador is nearly frozen stiff by how beautiful Sophia looks this night. Her hair is pulled in a bun that gives her an air of dignity few could hope to compete with. Her brown eyes seem to be as dark as night even under the bright sun. She wears ruby red lip stick that only makes Malador wonder what it'd be like to kiss her.

Sophia tells Malador some of her past, she teaches Classics, though she loves her work she hates to do it 24/7, her passions include dancing and art. She tells Malador that she knows 14 languages, explaining it away by saying she has a high language aptitude.

When the subject of her father comes up her face goes sour and quickly changes the subject to some points on Atlantean history she hoped he could clarify. Luckily for the remainder of the date it doesn't seem she holds it against him, explaining she'd be curious to, but to understand that the less she thought about her father the better.

Sophia laughs when Malador asks if she had any arcane training and upon seeing he was serious answers, "no, I just know what I know from reading, I have a photographic memory, so things I read never leave me."

She tells Malador that she became an Archeologist by accident, apparently one of her old friends had run across some ruins that had some heiroglyphics he couldn't translate, and her name came to mind.

"I had a great time too, and I look forward to seeing you, Malador, don't keep me waiting too long." she says, brushes his cheek with her lips delicately and then heads into her apartment.

When Malador greets Mystic she chuckles, "Malador you know I don't like codenames, it's Shala remember?" Malador had nearly forgot how truly beautiful Shala is, though at the moment Sophia may appear more beautiful to him, a woman in her early thirties, her delicate blond hair drapes over her shoulders perfectly, like ocean waves, and her green eyes burn so brightly that one could stand frozen by them for hours and not tire of looking into them. Her shapely form can make even a devoted man's eyes wander. Yet she has an air of power about her that is such only a fool would lust for her... a fool or perhaps someone just as powerful.

Mystic leans forward on the chair Sallah had sat her on, "I'll be brief Malador, John and I aren't going to be able to defend this world as we once did for the foreseeable future. John is fighting the Lor Empire as you well know, but what the media hasn't reported is that the armies are at a stalemate." Malador notices that whenever she speaks about John better known as Over-Matter her eyes seem to grow a little brighter, Malador knows this only hints at their affection for each other, "as such, John can't leave the front for more than a few hours at a time." When she says this she grimaces but continues, "I myself can't leave the Ethereal realm for long, though Una and Hades are bound by oath not to attack, they constantly try to find a way to defeat their oathes, and beyond that Mr. Infamy seems intent on granting power to every evil being he can find," she leans back rubbing her eyes, "and I haven't been able to find a clue as to his nature, or a way to stop him."

"That brings me to why I've come here," she says with a sigh, "have you heard of the Protector's Initiative? Essentially it allows us to recruit on a wide scale, while before we were limited to only 5, now we have no limit to our membership. Malador, I appreciate your defense of the world while I've been away," she leans forward again, "but I would ask more of you my old friend, will you join the Protectors, and fight these threats alongside others?"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:26 am

"Of course," Malador says without hesitation. "You had only to ask." He speaks in a comfortable tone, as Shala is one of the few people he knows well enough to truly relax around. "I know the burden that rests on your shoulders. And if I can help ease that burden, even a little, I'm glad to do anything I can."

"In fact," he adds, "having the resources and the prestige of the Protectors can't help but be an advantage in fighting the kinds threats we face." He nods absently. " I wouldn't have minded some backup yesterday - I had another run in with Six. She'd somehow uncovered the ritual to summon Xrix." He shakes his head. "I don't so much mind her risking getting herself killed messing with things she shouldn't. I just don't want her taking the Earth with her." He gestures and a decanter of brandy and two glasses glow blue and hover over to the table.

"But there was a silver lining to that encounter," he adds, happy to have at least one person to talk to about it. "I met a woman named Sophia - she was to be the sacrifice." He smiles. "She's an extraordinary woman, and one I hope to get to know better." The decanter tilts and fills one glass. Malador raises an eyebrow to offer it to Lady Mystic. If she declines, he takes the glass himself; if she accepts, he gestures and it floats over to rest before her and the decanter then fills the other glass for him.

"She's shown me one thing already," he says, taking a sip. "I've learned that I need to get out more." He laughs. "Since you've been stuck in the Ethereal Realm so much lately, I've had precious little contact with anyone aside from Sallah. A few rare book dealers, and one or two librarians. But never for long, and mostly on business. Dinner tonight was my first opportunity for casual conversation since - when was it we destroyed the doomsday cult in Zurich? Six months? Eight months?" He shakes his head. "Too long."

"Joining the Protectors is probably just what I need right now." He shakes his head. "Something to get me out of this tower and dealing with the world at large."

Anorin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Anorin » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:25 am

Shala smiles, "Thank you Malador."

Mystic blinks obviously surprised by the news, "Xrix? Not even Harbinger has the power necessary to control him, let alone free him!" she thinks for a moment, "it's possible she was working as someone else's hand... but the list of possiblities is small and not to my liking." She doesn't seem to wish to list the names to Malador, though he has a few guesses.

Mystic smiles again upon you mentioning Sophia, though waving off the drink she continues, "I'm glad old friend, she seemed a fine enough woman when I scried you. As to getting out more, I concur, though you may find the responsiblities associated with being a Protector trying at times, you'll find some room for your personal life... if you look hard enough."

"I remember Zurich," she says, "I think that was nine months ago Malador, though you could be right."

"The world at large needs more watching now than ever before, eventually John wants every major city to have its own team, teams will be assigned once we're up there, but if I know John and Maria they already have the teams picked out." Looking at the clock Shala gives a start, "my goodness, we had better leave, if we are going to make the conference."

Before Malador can ask, 'what conference?' A doorway appears beside Mystic, seemingly made of light, looking at it nearly blinds you, but you manage to keep your eyesight, looking at her she motions for you to follow, and steps through.
Thus ends your intro Trog, one last post telling how you step through the gateway, and that'll be it until I start the next thread.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:03 am

Maldor stands. finishes the last drops of brandy from his glass and sets it down. "Lead on," he says with a nod of his head and walks towards the door. He'd followed her through far more more imposing doors into far worse places in the past. The thought of something as simple as a conference is hardly worrisome. He steps through the white light, disappearing just as Lady Mystic did. And just like that the door winks out.

A moment later an unseen force manifests in the empty library. It picks up the decanter of brandy and moves it back to the shelf. In turn, it then lifts each of the glasses off the table and swirls around them, cleaning them as finely as if they had been washed by hand, and places them next to the decanter. Finally, the force sweeps across the table, bringing it to a polish, and adjust the chairs back to their normal places. Its work done, the unseen servant then disappears to wherever it came from in the first place, leaving the library empty once more.