Prelude: A Circle at Midnight

It has been ten years since Mastermind died defending the world from Omega. The world needed champions, it needed heroes, it needed the Protectors. Five years ago, the world would have fallen without them. One year ago only two watched over the world. The world suffered, it cried for more heroes, for more Protectors. Now the Protectors answer the world'€™s cry calling for heroes from all over the world to join their ranks. Who will answer?
The Protectors is a Mutants & Masterminds 2nd edition campaign. The story follows our heroes to when they first join the exalted ranks of the Protectors, to when they battle fiends powerful enough to destroy entire nations. How will they fare? Only time will tell.

Edited by GM Anorin
Anorin
Level 6
Level 6

Prelude: A Circle at Midnight

Post by Anorin » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:07 am

This is for Trogdor. Malador has detected a mystical disturbance in the vicinity of Freedom City, after a few hours he found these cultists about to sacrifice a young woman to gain power.
The city isn't as great as it once was. Half a century ago it served as a beacon of hope to a previously oppressed and downcast people. Now without its heroes, the city became a hive of scum and villainy. Rumor has it that there are new super villains in town, just another reason to avoid this place. Anyone with brains would avoid Freedom City at all costs, unless they had pressing business to attend to.
Malador has very pressing business at this time. Protected by his spells of concealment, he looks out into the clearing and sees the circle he has come to interrupt. There are currently six cultists in the circle, each holding a sword as if in prayer, a low inharmonious chant escaping from their throats. In the middle of the circle a young woman is bound lying on her back. The purpose of this circle is clear to one of Malador'˜s knowledge, they mean to sacrifice the young woman and summon a demon, in the hopes that the action would increase their own power.
The woman seemed to be fighting with her bonds, impressively calm in Malador's opinion, she wasn'˜t crying or panicking, simply eliminating the possible options for escape as quickly as she could. Then the cultists stopped their chanting and one knelt over the girl, 'œDo you have any last requests?' 'œlet me go,' 'œI'm afraid we cannot do that.' The cultist, a woman by her voice laughed as she rose, the young woman then snapped, 'œat least get me a better executioner! I refuse to be killed by a cow!' The cultist snarled and kicked the young woman in the ribs, a bitter laugh rose from the would be sacrifice, 'œI'˜m sorry I said cow when I meant heifer.' The cultist snarled and would have killed the woman there had another cultist not held her back, and when she had calmed down, they resumed chanting.
Malador knows that if he were to act this the time, in only a few more moments the chant would end and the summoning would be complete.
You have 5 rounds to defeat all the cultists before they manage to summon a demon, only one cultist is needed to summon one, but the six + a human sacrifice are neccessary in order to control it. That said, if you are able to defeat the cultists before 4 rounds, the demon shouldn't be able to rise to the mortal plane.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Prelude: A Circle at Midnight

Post by Trogdor » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:30 am

Even after ten years awake in this new world, Malador still finds parts of it strange, jarring, and often disappointing. But then, after a lifetime in the glory of Atlantis, anything would pale in comparison.

Unfortunately, however, magic threats like this were timeless. Though the people, the trappings, and the details might change, the ritual was nearly the same as it had been millenia ago. And the motivation for doing it - desire for pure, unadulterated power - was all too familiar.

Stepping forward and letting his mystic concealment drop, Malador the Mystic, heir to the sorcerous knowledge of fallen Atlantis, raises a hand against the gathered cultists. He stands about six feet tall, wiry, and firm, his body in perfect proportions. He is dressed in the traditional garb of an Atlantean sorcerer, though there were precious few alive who would recognize the fact. The outfit includes a large blue tunic over baggy gray trousers. Soft black boots protect his feet, while dark bands surround his forearms. And flowing over his back, having almost a life of its own, lies a mystic cloak, one of the few relics of his former life he was able to recover.

"Your prisoner is right in one thing," he says in a strong voice. "It's definitely time to thin the herd."

And with that, Malador speaks a single word of power that was old even in the days of Atlantis. Immediately, a burst of energy explodes in the middle of the cultists, looking to sap their ability to move.
I assume having approached using Concealment, I'm close enough to strike without moving any farther.

Drop Concealment.
Cast Paralyze as a full round action to try and catch as many of the cultists as I can (Area extra).

Anorin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Anorin » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:26 am

The Cultists turn towards Malador, barely registering him, before he utters a word of power among the cultists. He curses as he cannot catch all of them without hitting the young woman. The burst of energy erupts a little to the left of the cultists managing to catch four of them.
Reflex Save DC 18, Will Save DC 18
Cultist 1 Reflex fail, Will Success.
Cultist 2 Reflex fail, Will Paralyzed.
Cultist 3 Reflex Success, Will DC 14, still Paralyzed.
Cultist 4 Reflex fail, Will Success.
Concentration to maintain chant, Cultist 1 fail, Cultist 4 natural 20.
This must be the be kind to mooks Thread. Thus ends your surprise round. 4 more rounds until they sacrifice the girl. 3 until the demon's seal is weakened enough that it may (if it's powerful enough) come of it's own accord.
The power lances over four of the cultists, three cry out, one of exceptionally strong will manages not only to keep on his feet, but he manages to remain a part of the chant. Two aren't so lucky, one doesn't even realize there's been an attack before he crumples to the ground. The other, manages to dart away from the source of power but still collapses as the power binds her to be still. One manages to keep his feet, but has lost his place in the ritual, in a blind rage he picks up his sword.
The three cultists who are still part of the ritual are still considered flat-footed, because of the distraction, the ritual requires a full round action to maintain, apparently they aren't concerned they will no longer be able to control the demon, either that or they don't know.
Initiative Cultist 4 (the guy who's out of the ritual) 20, Malador 5, Cutltist 1 4, Cultist 2 3, Cultist 3 2
The Cultist robbed of his power charges for the Atlantean Mystic desperate to land a blow.
Cultist 4, 19+4=23 (would be a crit, but he's a minion)
Imperviousness auto absorbs this.
The cultist's sword collides with Malador's skin and he shouts in triumph, "not so powerful now are you mage!" his revelry quickly turns to confusion as he realizes his sword hasn't drawn any blood, in fact not even a scratch remains where his sword had hit. Looking back up at the Atlantean in dismay and not a small amount of awe, he wonders who it was he just struck.

Before any others can act Malador...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:37 am

"Powerful enough for the likes of you," Malador says with a slight tilt of his head. "And powerful enough, I hope, to keep you all from making a fatal mistake."

Then, less worried about the cutist in front of him than the three still chanting, Malador steps back, raises one hand, and chants.

By the curse that befell Bethmoora --
By her death in the Strangling Sands --
May the Shining Shackles of Sirrion
Entrap your helpless hands!

Immediately, two balls of silver energy appear in his hands and fly toward the cultist with the sword. As they approach, the two sparks of mystic energy separate, each going for one of the other cultists.
Move to Snare. Use the Split feat to make two rank 5 Snares, one at each of two of the flat-footed cultists.

Anorin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Anorin » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:48 am

The mystic energy attempt to wrap around the hands of two of the cultists.
Snare, assume taking ten.
Reflex Save DC 15
Cultist 1 Reflex Save 5+0=5 Failure Bound. Concentration fail.
Cultist 3 Reflex Save 19+0=19 Success. (seriously? a 19? Be kind to mooks thread a guess)
You have one bound and out of the chant the other managed to escape. Also per the rules on Paralyze the two Cultists you downed get new Will Saves
Cultist 5 3+3=6 failure
Cultist 6 5+3=8 failure
One cultist's hand is caught by the mystical energy, he screams as the energy proceeds to coil around him like a snake, binding him as if in a cocoon. That moment of weakness causes the cultist to loose his place in the chant. The other is agile, twisting her wrist at the last second causing the energy to miss its mark, slamming into the ground behind where her arm had been seconds before. Only two of the cultists remain, and both of these have evaded the powers of Malador the mystic once. The cultists resume their chant. Malador knows they are beginning to weaken the seal that binds the demon they are trying to summon, he has to move quickly. Before he can the cultist in front of him calls out, "see you aren't as powerful as I feared, when Xrix rises he will blow you out as if you were a candle." The bound cultist struggles against the bands of mystic energy, snarling curses at Malador for binding him.
Remaining cultists (3+2) will take their full round action to try and summon the demon. Cultist 4 will try to demoralize, but Malador is fearless, so no effect. Cultist 1 will try to break your Snare, no effect.
K (arcane Lore) to determine who Xrix is DC 20
9+15=24 Success
The name rings a bell, he was a demon from the time before Atlantis was sunk. He was sealed in a dimension that people have forgotten the name of by the Master Mage of the time, it is said that this demon was so powerful he could lay waste to entire armies with his voice. What people this weak are doing trying to summon him and then control him? You haven't the foggiest, it seems incredibly stupid from where your standing.
Down to 2 rounds before the demon may manage to come to Earth (which this guy is probably capable of), and 3 rounds before the sacrifice.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:23 am

Let's see if we can take a break from 'Be Kind to Mooks' Day. :-)
"You fools don't know what powers you're trifling with," Malador says in a stern voice. "The only reward you can hope for from Xrix would be a quick death. And he would be unlikely to grant you even that." The Atlantean sorcerer raises both hands and strikes a mystical stance. "For the sake of everyone in this world, you cannot be allowed to continue."

Then he speaks a new incantation:

Fogs of Falmoth --
swirl 'round thy brow!
may the Mists of Morpheus
envelop thee now!

Immediately, a golden fog gathers around his hands and begins to drift towards the chanting cultists.
Attack with Blast (Sleep). Again, split it so that its two rank 5 blasts.

Anorin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Anorin » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

The mist envelopes the two cultists. Before they even realize what's happening the mist does its work and both pass out without so much as a scream. hitting the ground around the young woman.
Toughness DC 20
Cultist 3 6+2=8 failure, out
Cultist 4 16+2=18 failure, out
New will saves for the Paralysis victims
Cultist 5 6+4=10 failure
Cultist 6 1+4=5 epic fail
fumble 13+4=17 failure, this cultist may not make a new will save next round.
With his comrades defeated the cultist in front of Malador throws down his sword and runs. The cultist still bound by Malador's mystic energy tries with all his might to break it, though the mystic energy strains to keep him bound as he is the cultist can not break it.
Cultist w/ sword move all out away from you.
Cultist 1 inflict damage on Snare
DC 16 6+5=11 Snare is injured.
With no more cultists to be seen Malador looks over at the woman, and is surprised to see that somehow she got a hand free and she is now using one of the fallen cultist's sword to cut her bonds. When she is done she begins to stand but falls quickly, obviously in great pain. She curses in a language Malador has not heard in some time, save from Mystic and that foul creature Harbinger, By Othalian!*
*Translated from Atlantean. Othalian was the Master Mage who founded Atlantis. An equivalent curse would be 'damn it all to hell' (Othalian didn't die in a good way)
The woman seems to be in pretty bad shape, the equivalent of 4 injured and bruised, as well as staggered and disabled.
Okay since there is no more ritual feel free to dispatch the remaining cultists however you want. Good job
Don't worry about the others catching up, you still have plenty left to deal with... after a few moments.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:03 am

Truly taken aback for the first time since he arrived on the scene, Malador looks with genuine interest at the woman, even now freeing herself from the ropes. Almost without thinking, he says a few sentences in his native language.
You speak the language of Atlantis? Where did you ... ?
As he does so, Malador gestures at the fleeing cultist. A blue glow forms around his hand, and a similar one forms around the cultist.

"But please forgive me," the sorcerer says quickly, switching back to English. "You're injured and that should be tended to first. My name is Malador. I'm sorry I wasn't able to get here sooner. May I see to your wounds?"
The plan is to try and grab the fleeing cultist with TK (almost absentmindedly as he talks to the woman). They clearly know too much to be let go. Can't have them trying this again. When they're all together, either knock them out with Blast, or Create Item to put manacles on them. (I figure they're out now. No sense managing a bunch of tedious posts about securing them.)

Once they're secure, try Healing on the woman.

BTW, this prelude has been great. I've been very glad of a little shakedown cruise to get used to the rules again.

Anorin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Anorin » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:39 am

As the first cultist floats into the air towards a pile the woman answers, "no I'd rather live with the pain." She chuckles slightly until she sees Malador's lifted eyebrow then sighs, "yes I would like to be healed... thanks by the way, I thought I was done." As Malador lifts the second cultist into the pile after binding the first she continues, "A colleague of mine said he found some strange writing here and I thought, 'hey maybe it's Atlantean,' so I went along with him to find out." She points to one of the unconcious cultists, "That's my colleague turns out I was supposed to be some human sacrifice. They talked about Xrix but that can't be right, Xrix is just a legend... well wouldn't be the strangest thing to happen to me." As Malador incapacitates the cultists one by one she watches the mist do its work. As Malador leans down to heal her she asks, "did you say Malador?" She looks as if lost in thought for a moment then adds, "I know of a Malador in Atlantean times... but that was millenia ago, you can't be the same man... right?"
Heal 7
7+7=14 Disabled healed.
7+3=10 Staggered healed.
5+7=12 Injury healed.
8+7=15 2 Injuries healed.
If you want to heal her anymore just say so.
Her eyes widen as her wounds begin to heal in front of her eyes, "wow, thanks, guess I owe you my life." She smiles sweetly at Malador and for the first time Malador sees her in detail. She is an attractive woman perhaps upper 20s to lower 30s. She has dark brown eyes and raven black hair that goes down to her waste. Her complection is tan, Malador can't quite place her decent perhaps latino and Italian?
Realizing she hadn't answered Malador's question she shakes her head, "sorry, got carried away there, my name is Sophia, my father was... many things." her inflection reveals she doesn't wish too much prying in the subject of her father, "He's the one who taught me Atlantean and a bit of their history, I learned the rest of what I know from studying their ruins, I'm an archaeologist by passion and a professor of Classics for Freedom City University by necessity."
She studies Malador for a moment wondering how her savior will respond to this information about herself, also wondering what he'll choose to share.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:24 am

Malador places his hands on Sophia's shoulders to effect the healing spell. Seeing her injuries partly healed, he keeps his hands in place to send more healing energy her way. As he does so, the sorcerer can't help but notice how attractive she is, and how starved he's been for contact - both physical and intellectual - over the past few years.

"You're extremely well educated," Malador says, keeping his hands in place for a little longer. "Very few people I've encountered know the old tongue of Atlantis." And fewer still speak it as sweetly. "You're also extremely self-possessed. Most people tied to sacrificial altars tend to panic - or worse." Sadly, this was not the first human sacrifice he'd spoiled, nor she the first potential victim he'd saved.

"But again I find I'm being rude." He smiles in a self-deprecating manner. "I can only plead that I spend far more time in study than in conversation. And no doubt I'm out of practice." He looks her in the eyes and draws back his hands, the healing as complete as he can make it.

"Hard though it may be to believe, I am likely the Malador that you read about. In the days before Atlantis fell, I was betrayed by one of my apprentices and imprisoned by the infernalists who would be that city's downfall. They intended that I remain in magical stasis until the end of time. But about twenty-five years ago a man with some magical talent uncovered my tomb and released me." His words ring true, but it seems hardly possible that Malador has been active more than twenty-five years, since he looks to be, at most, in his mid-thirties.

"Since that time," he continues, "I've been trying to make my way as best I can in this new world I've found myself in." He glances over at the cultists. "If nothing else, the same threats that faced Atlantis are still around. And with Mystic drawn away by greater concerns, someone must attend to them."

"I'm sorry that you had to get caught up with their plans," he continues in a lighter tone with a nod towards the cultists. "They certainly believed that they could summon Xrix. And I've no doubt that they would have carried out their threats to kill you." He sees no reason to mention that their plans almost succeeded. "I'm glad they didn't." He smiles at Sophia.

The Atlantean sorcerer then pauses for an awkward moment and glances over at the cultists. "I'm afraid we're going to have to deal with these people before too long. It may be best to bring them to the authorities while they're still asleep. But when that's done, I wonder if we could talk." Having been completely in control when facing a demon summoning, he finds himself at a loss for words in this far more benign situation. "That is, if you'd like." He smiles nervously.
Use Healing until she either is fully healed or fails a roll. And then keep hands on her shoulders for just a little longer after that. :-)
Edited to correct a timing issue.