Prelude - The Pit: Ashes and Cinder

The Age of Magic is ended, Bhall, the Goddess of Fire, has succumbed to the whispers of Agares and fallen into Hell. Her worshipers and creations driven mad, and fire, which has been a powerful ally to man, has turned against him. Each good god was charged with the opposition of an evil god. Bhall was responsible for balancing Mulcarn, the God of Winter. Finding himself unopposed Mulcarn has broken The Compact and moved into Creation.

Creation was on the verge of another open war between the gods, that which they had outlawed with The Compact. To keep that from happening a deal was struck and the gods agreed that one god would enter Creation to challenge Mulcarn. That was Sucellus, the God of Nature. The two gods battled across the face of Creation, entire civilizations still recovering from the Burning Skies that marked the fall of Bhall were destroyed by their power. In the end Sucellus was killed and Mulcarn remained.

The Eternal Winter has begun...
Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Prelude - The Pit: Ashes and Cinder

Post by paradoxa » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:23 pm

No need to apologize... I don't want to rush you.

if you're in a hurry and can't finish a post, perhaps adding a spoiler with something like "no time, will complete the post later" is a good idea, because then I know what's going on and can wait.
Just take your time, ok? Being patient for a few days won't kill me ;)
Vren thinks about the proposal for a few moments. It's cold enough here that this won't look too suspicious. Nessa probably won't like it, but it's necessary.
"Sure... that might do the trick. " She lowers her voice as well, not wanting to wake up the sleeping kids.

But what does Ellbeth mean by 'obtain'? Probably not to simply take away from someone... so they will have to do a deal. Come to think of it, it now seems pretty unlikely to her that the people of Falcon's Hollow will feed a bunch of strangers, just like that.

She remembers how her people bargained with the few traders desperate enough to venture into the ruins, trading artifacts, gems and gold they found for much-needed supplies like cloth, herbs that helped against the fever, tools, grain, or even a pair of live goats. The negotiations were mostly uneasy, each side fearing that the other would take advantage, and the smaller children were kept out of sight, should the trader be a spy of the Calabim slavers.

Getting her thoughts back on the task ahead, there is one problem with trading, though. Among their meager possessions is nothing like those things the peddlers were always asking for.

"But... we don't have a thing to trade... for the gloves, and clothes, and food...", she reluctantly admits.

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:42 pm

Ellsbeth smiles at Vren, a calming smile. "Do not worry yourself about such things. Junil will provide if you have faith". The paladin looks back to the children with the same calming smile upon her face. "Junil certainly can not find fault in the souls of innocence, so sleep now Vren and tomorrow we shall finish this journey together. You and I side by side."...
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:25 am

Vren looks at Ellbeth and raises a brow. Her first impulse is to hand out a sarcastic comment. Dammit, even lil'Jak knows that the Gods don't just let roasted pigeons rain down from the sky. If you can't provide for yourself, you die. That's the way life is. Nothing has ever been easy, why should that change now.

But to her own surprise, she can't bring herself to speak it out and slight Ellsbeth's confidence and faith.
"'spose I should get some sleep..." she finally mutters, looking away.

"Wake me when it's my turn to guard..." With that, she turns away, to lie down next to the other kids and get some rest.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Prelude - The Pit: The End

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:31 am

The group eventually all falls a sleep here on the Darkmoon Plain. At one point Vren is awake, and swears she can see a small campfire not far off to the south, but nothing ever comes of it, so she waves it off as paranoia. Eventually the night takes everyone, and the dawn arrives warming the skin.

The last day of travel is ahead of you. The trip across the Darkmoon Plain is dangerous, the geysers, shifting geothermal vents, mudpots and hot springs makes the journey more than difficult. Luckily Junil guides, and Gunner seems to have a natural sense to avoid some of these things. With all your eyes open and searching you mange to avoid the worst of it, and only poor Vren suffers at the terrain's wrath. A slip and a muddy boot is all the wound she has to show for it thankfully.

Eventually you can see ahead, not far now across the plains and the rolling hills that rise up to the right, the River Foam, and the Falcon's Hollow Ferry!
Congrats! Your Prelude has ended! Watch for the start of Chapter One coming soon (I hope today).

You have both done great, and I think we got a nice feel for the characters, and lets hope you've bonded, even after the rocky start.

Vren gets 900 XP and Ellsbeth 800. The difference is a bonus +100 from paradoxa's kick ass Religions/God symbols for the over all addition to the game. Remember if you write stories (see the OOC) you can pick up some bonus XP as well.

Keep your eyes open for Chapter 1
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring