Prelude - The Pit: Ashes and Cinder

The Age of Magic is ended, Bhall, the Goddess of Fire, has succumbed to the whispers of Agares and fallen into Hell. Her worshipers and creations driven mad, and fire, which has been a powerful ally to man, has turned against him. Each good god was charged with the opposition of an evil god. Bhall was responsible for balancing Mulcarn, the God of Winter. Finding himself unopposed Mulcarn has broken The Compact and moved into Creation.

Creation was on the verge of another open war between the gods, that which they had outlawed with The Compact. To keep that from happening a deal was struck and the gods agreed that one god would enter Creation to challenge Mulcarn. That was Sucellus, the God of Nature. The two gods battled across the face of Creation, entire civilizations still recovering from the Burning Skies that marked the fall of Bhall were destroyed by their power. In the end Sucellus was killed and Mulcarn remained.

The Eternal Winter has begun...
Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Re: Prelude - The Pit: Ashes and Cinder

Post by MadVlat » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:44 am

"My name is Ellsbeth and your name would be?". Sliding out of the gauntlets and placing them on the ground next to her weapon as she speaks. Then removing the pack from her back and pulling forth a tightly wrapped bundle from its depths. The young woman unties the package and unrolls it quietly upon the ground while studying the boys scraped knees. "Could you bring the light closer?", she utters her voice more soothing now as she twists the seal on a small jar in her hand...
Last edited by MadVlat on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:10 am

Vren of course uses the short moment when the intruder puts away her shield. She pulls one leg closer to the body. Nessa's question brings some more distraction. After shifting her weight, Vren is now in a much better position to leap up, hand firmly gripping the sword hilt, although outwardly, she's still just sitting there holding the trousers on her lap. She still does not trust this even a little bit. If something seems too good to be true, it likely is.

Also, Ellsbeth's comment about the poor shape of the little group, while certainly true, wounded her honor. After all, it's her who has been keeping those kids alive. They could have died at least a dozen times out there, and now that woman comes in just like that and thinks she knows everything better.

"We're doing just fine - if you think we're helpless, you're wrong. And you're better not touching him. ", she snaps with a hot temper.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:20 am

Nessa leans forward, her dagger no longer half hidden, but fully visible. She backs Vren's play, "Yeah! Doncha touch Jak!" She too looks ready and coiled to pounce on Ellsbeth.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:30 am

Knowing the morningstar is well within range Ellsbeth simply smiles the smile of a well trained fox. "If we do this your way, not only will the boy be battered but you will join him. I have offered no threat but mark my words girl, if you do not let me tend to these wounds they will become infected and the boy will suffer more. All because you will not show me a little trust". Then one hand moves to the unfurled healers kit, the other ready to take arms to defend herself should the need arise...

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:04 am

'I'm only here to help'. Sure. The slavers kind of overused that one.
Vren looks to the door, wondering where the companions of this woman are. Probably already surrounding this place, or should she really be alone?

She turns back to Ellsbeth.
"Trust you? Trust must be earned. Prove your words. For a start, put that down. " The words are accompanied by a nod towards the morningstar.

"Or should a guest invading uninvited and fully armed expect to be treated hospitable? ", she refers to Ellsbeth's earlier words with a wry smile.

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:58 am

The morningstar has been on the ground. She has been unarmed almost since she first started talking. And right now her hand is poised to grab it should the children need some learning... 8O Went back and bolded the entry.
A smile greets the girl's words though the paladins eyes do not. Ellsbeth shifts towards the boy's bloodied knees with a dab of smelly ungent upon her finger. "I applaud your bravado, but I assure you there is no need for such a show. I am not here to bring you harm. Junil the Righteous guides my path and you are but fellow weary travellers upon the same road"...
Unless she is attacked Ellsbeth will continue to tend to the boy using her heal skill.

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:03 am

Woops, sorry, totally overlooked that clause and misread the rest. :oops:
Vren stands up, in one fluid movement, not bothering to hide the sword anymore. She stands only a little shorter than the other woman, but is much less broad-shouldered. This impression is enhanced by the fact that she's not wearing any metal armor, but just a studded leather vest. Like the rest of the group's equipment, it is worn, reinforced in some places, repaired in many others and was probably not made for it's current owner but scavenged somewhere.

"What is that on your hand? Move slowly, and tell us what you are doing. "
She takes one step towards Ellsbeth, to get a better view of what the woman is up to.

"If you hurt him, you're dead. " Even though she fully means it, it does sound a little bit helpless.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:49 pm

Nessa springs to her feet as well, dagger in hand, he brandishes. "Who are you!? What do you want?!" The twelve year old girl happens to be flanking Ellsbeth with Vren, the two have done this enough time, and already they are in position to take full advantage of their numbers. At the shout of everyone Griet rolls over and opens her eyes, they flutter awake, she sees Ellsbeth then they close again.

A second later they bolt open and another of the kids, another girl, is awake!
I think just to make sure we don't go too crazy here, MV you should offer some more friend introduction of yourself. I know you gave your name, but that's not enough in these lands these days. Remember we are all suposed to end up friends here.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:01 am

I've done nothing but tried to calm the others down, attempt to heal the boy, disarm myself, and announced that I'm a follower of Junil (A good aligned deity). So how am I not being anything but friendly???
Ellsbeth is no stranger to combat and recognizes the children's tactics, but still she does not take up arms. Instead beginning to apply the salve to the boys knees. "I'm helping this boy, that is all. I hail from Peptine where do you travel from?". The paladin's words calm and soothing, containing nothing but kindness and the offer of help...

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:33 pm

Vren reacts in the instant Ellsbeth's hand touches Jak. Without any further warning, hand on the hilt of her sword, she moves forward. But instead of drawing the blade, like one might expect, she just slams her knee upward, aiming for the head of the kneeling woman as hard as she can.
Unarmed strike