Prelude - Graceful Oaks: Portents and Omens

The Age of Magic is ended, Bhall, the Goddess of Fire, has succumbed to the whispers of Agares and fallen into Hell. Her worshipers and creations driven mad, and fire, which has been a powerful ally to man, has turned against him. Each good god was charged with the opposition of an evil god. Bhall was responsible for balancing Mulcarn, the God of Winter. Finding himself unopposed Mulcarn has broken The Compact and moved into Creation.

Creation was on the verge of another open war between the gods, that which they had outlawed with The Compact. To keep that from happening a deal was struck and the gods agreed that one god would enter Creation to challenge Mulcarn. That was Sucellus, the God of Nature. The two gods battled across the face of Creation, entire civilizations still recovering from the Burning Skies that marked the fall of Bhall were destroyed by their power. In the end Sucellus was killed and Mulcarn remained.

The Eternal Winter has begun...
Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Prelude - Graceful Oaks: Portents and Omens

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:41 pm

The three complete their morning preparations ending with a prayer in which the three elves bow their heads and seek guidance for the days ahead. Celevan is about to slip away when Dreams finishes her prayer, and all three stand up ready to depart. The camp is easily broken down, as "Blue Eyes" easily goes about his routine, a few extra mouths doesn't slow him down at all. Soon the three are traveling once again. Suli hasn't been seen all morning, and Celevan hasn't called for him, granting the Eidolon some rest for the time being. The trio make good time, the grass is frozen over and the light foot steps of the elves crunch and crack the frost underfoot. September is going to be cold, very cold if today is any indication of what is to come. The trios has a long road ahead of them and silently you all press on. From time to time you comment on the weather, as the sky threatens to open its clouds and dump its load on you, or you make a passing remark on a natural landmark. This region is void of civilization and its peaceful like this.

Then the rain begins. The sky finally makes good on its threats and a cold wet rain begins to fall. The dark sky drops its pelting rain on you all, and the mood go from pleasent to sour quickly as the cold rain creeps into your bones. Only Celevan seems unconcerned with the temperature as his Endure Elements spell keeps him warm even in the wet and cold weather. Dreams' feet are soon slogging wet, and her toes are very cold. Syrronas' hair is matted and stuck to his head, a red mop of crimson on his soaking wet and cold form.

Up ahead the trio spots the silver glimmer of a wide stream ahead. Celevan knows the spot, he crossed over it days ago, and its too wide and too long to circumvent easily. It means getting your boots wet, and unpleasent prospect.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:50 pm

Typically I'd keep Suli around when traveling. It takes a minute (i.e., 10 rounds) to summon him, which is far too long if trouble hits.

Of course, if you'd rather keep things simple for the moment, I'll let him rest. :-)
"I'm sorry to say that we're going to have to wade through the stream," Celevan says as it comes into view. "I'm afraid it's going to be very cold - much colder than it ought to be." Then he gives his fellow travelers a once over and comes to a decision. "We'll stop on the far side and build a fire. That'll give us a chance to dry ourselves off and get you two warmed up. We can also get a bit of warm food and tea in us. It'll do a world of good traveling in the cold like this." The trip might take a bit longer this way. But allowing one of his companions to get sick on the road would take even longer.
Assuming we get across the stream without trouble, use Survival to figure out a way to shield us from the rain. Celevan didn't bring his tent for such a short journey. If either of the others has a tarp or a tent, that could be used for some cover. Otherwise it's under trees or some kid of makeshift cover.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:38 pm

Dreams has been holding her cloak about her tightly, with the hood up, trying to keep out the elements. The weather has not greatly dampened her spirits--she has her usual smile on her face and makes occasional cheerful comments. Now, she says, "Well, a fire and tea sound nice, as does a bit of a rest." She takes a cautious look at the stream. "I assume something this small is safe? No hidden dangers or anything?"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:47 pm

"It should be safe to cross," Celevan replies. "The stream is wide, but not overly deep. We should be able to wade across without much trouble. But just to be double sure, let me bring Suli back. He can help if anything goes wrong." Then blue-eyed Elohim concentrates again and the rune on his forehead returns. A short time later, Suli is again standing beside him. But he looks slightly different. He's still a worg. But he's a bit taller and leaner than before. And his gray fur is black at the roots.
Summon eidolon

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:49 pm

The group is pauses a moment perhaps a hundred yards from the stream. A head you can see the shimmer of the water, and some trees on the far side, which will offer shelter from the rain atleast for a bit. The threat of muddy banks, and cold feet are primary in the minds of the group, but these are wild territories, so who knows. Not taking any chances Celevan summons Suli once more. The wolf appears lankier than before with shots of black, the creature is a wonder.
You are still 100 yards from the stream. (innocent whistle) the stream could be dangersous.

Summoned Suli.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:24 pm

When they reach the stream, now swollen with rain, Dreams looks at Blue Eyes and says, "Perhaps you should cross first, since you are most familiar with it and it looks a bit rough now, due to all the rain."

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:46 pm

Syrronas peers at the water taking in the scene. Syrronas has been fighting a losing battle to keep dry or warm. He makes a small mental note to learn the enchantment that Celevan is using before winter sets in. "Perhaps Suli could assist in getting us safely across?" The Red haired Elf moves an errant damp strand from his eyes.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:21 am

The trio turned quartet strolls up closer to the stream but stops short. The area of the ford is soaked with mud and rain. The ground around it is still covered in a thin layer of frost, but the low banks and the rushing water has created a swampy area around the best place to cross. On the far side of the stream are some trees and other vegitation, but on yourself its mostly just small ferns and hastas, all fairly wilted and damaged from the early frosts. Suli perks up and turns his nose toward the east, that's when you hear the grunting, "<Goblinoid>!" A handfull of creatures become visible hiding among the trees and undergrowth there. Wrapped in thick furs stained with blood and mud are a pair of goblins with short stocky bows in their hands. They are hidden among the trees, and are making good use of the cover from the trunks and branches. The goblin to the south has on a tall helm with three pointy sets of antlers sticking up out of it a symbol among the creatures that he is a 'huntkillmaster'. The two goblins are shouting back and forth across the opening between themselves but neither Syrronas or Cevelan understand them. Then that's when you eyes move from the goblins to the creatures next to the goblins -- goblin dogs! These large overgrown rats are infamous among goblins. Used as mounts or hunting creatures the goblin dogs look like long legged rats without much fur and with hairless tails. These two goblin dogs let out a long howl-bark as you come close to the stream. Their leashes are released out of the hands of the goblins, and the battle is on!

Allareia-Nosaki-na'Tirris Arrasul-Elassyrin-el'Tirion realizes what is happen even before the goblins can release their hounds and acts...
Initiative: Dreams 18.4, Dogs 9.2, Goblins 7.6, Syrronas 6.3, Cevelan & Suli 4.3

Notes: The stream is fast moving, wading across it causes a Swim Check.

The dark non-snow like area is all mud. This terrain causes some penalties as you sink into the mud of it. No Run, No Charge, Acrobatics +2 DCs, Movement Costs Doubled!!! This means no 5ft steps here. Crossing the stream from muddy area to muddy area is just like moving through the mud, you do NOT have to make swim checks there.

The trees the goblins are in provide Cover bonus to AC +4 as they snipe from behind them.

The goblins both have short bows, and the southern one (G2) has an antler horn helm on.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:11 am

I should note that this is the first time I've done full-blown combat in 3rd ed. D&D/Pathfinder, so please bear with me if a I muddle the rules. (My previous combat experience with this set of rules consisted of two rounds in Grimbold's learner game, where all I really did was knock a guy attacking me off my dogsled.)
At the sight and sound of goblins, Dreams' blood runs hot. She chokes back the desire for revenge, which her paladin teachers had warned her about--it would cloud her thinking and could ultimately corrupt her. She decides to hold her ground and let the goblins wade through the mud. She lets out an ear-splitting wail of grief, as she drops her backpack and draws her bow. She waits for the nearest goblin dog to break from its cover, then fires.
If I have this right: Free Action: Drop backpack (which boosts my AC one point by reducing the weight I'm carrying); Move Action: Draw bow; Standard Action: Fire arrow, holding action if necessary to get a clear shot at the goblin dog. The wail is just for colorful effect.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:21 pm

Round 1 Initiative: Dreams 18.4, Dogs 9.2, Dreams 9.1, Goblins 7.6, Syrronas 6.3, Cevelan & Suli 4.3

Note: Initiative change for Readied Action.
Dreams, or for short in the Elohim langauge Allareia, unslings her backpack tossing it to the ground. She let's out a wail of grief at seeing the goblins even as she draws her bow and sets an arrow on the string. Threes give shelter to the beasts and their pets, so she waits for the right time to fire.
Dreams: Drop Backpack, Draw Bow, Ready Shot [When Dogs Are In Mud]

Looks like you did just fine! On the equipment sheet I changed the 'Carried Now' from a yes to a no and it automatically updates your AC, etc. This is the middle section of equipment. When you pick it back up we'll change the No to a Yes and it will do all the math again for us.
The two goblin dog break their cover as their masters release their leashes. The dander ridden beasts charge forward racing without regard for tactics right for the ford and the mud. They slam into the muddy terrain and pick their way through it. That's when Reluctant Follower of Dreams releases her arrow. The shaft flies short sinking into the mud infront of the goblin dog. The dogs are moving slower than anticipated, and the elven paladin has under shot! The dogs ford the water, moving through the mud with some difficulty, but they are fast, and soon they are on the near side of the stream growing closer and closer by the second.
Dog 1 Move/Move
Dog 2 Move/Move
Dreams: Fires H1: 8 Miss
The goblins are hunkered down behind the trees, and have a clear shot at the group of you. Certain that the dogs will take out Suli and anyone else in the middle the goblins on the wings fire at Syyronas and Dreams. One arrow whizzes through the air from the north, and skims the red hair Syyronas' shoulder ripping his robes! A trickle of blood appears from the slice and the shock of being shot spurs him into action. A second arrow from the antler wearing goblin zipps through the air right about to hit Dreams, but she ducks to the side at the very last moment. The lighter load from dropping her pack has saved Allareia from a nasty looking arrow!
Goblin 1: Shoot Syyronas (Range -2) 19 Hit for 2 Dmg
Goblin 2: Shoot Dreams (Range -2) 16 Miss
Syyronas...