Prelude - Graceful Oaks: Portents and Omens

The Age of Magic is ended, Bhall, the Goddess of Fire, has succumbed to the whispers of Agares and fallen into Hell. Her worshipers and creations driven mad, and fire, which has been a powerful ally to man, has turned against him. Each good god was charged with the opposition of an evil god. Bhall was responsible for balancing Mulcarn, the God of Winter. Finding himself unopposed Mulcarn has broken The Compact and moved into Creation.

Creation was on the verge of another open war between the gods, that which they had outlawed with The Compact. To keep that from happening a deal was struck and the gods agreed that one god would enter Creation to challenge Mulcarn. That was Sucellus, the God of Nature. The two gods battled across the face of Creation, entire civilizations still recovering from the Burning Skies that marked the fall of Bhall were destroyed by their power. In the end Sucellus was killed and Mulcarn remained.

The Eternal Winter has begun...
Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Prelude - Graceful Oaks: Portents and Omens

Post by Muskrat » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:57 am

"I will gladly speak to the Elder when I return to Graceful Oaks," Allareia says. "I do not know if they will listen to me--I am not of great standing. Even in the Holy Order of the Watchful Sword--well, I am considered a bit of an odd ball, with all the years I have spent in libraries." She reflects a moment and then continues, "With the lengthening winters and the agents of Mulcarn threatening Elohim settlements, I fear our Elders have grown more focused on protecting them and have begun to lose sight of the Elohim's traditional duty of looking out for those who are less civilized then us." She shrugs. "I can not criticize them too greatly for that. Until you called me on this mission, I had not given much thought to how half-civilized folk like humans, dwarves, and the Thelonites might be faring. I was too focused on my own losses. But if our own Elders are over-focused on the well-being of the Elohim, I fear how deeply the leaders of other peoples have their heads buried in the sand."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:55 am

"You're probably right," Celevan replies. "But if things do continue to decline, we'll need even more to work together rather than apart. The wolf and cougar don't fight when the forest is burning. Neither should Elohim and men."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:50 pm

Staring into the fire, with her cloak about her to keep off the rain, sipping on the tea Celevan has made, Allareia says, "Dancer at the Gates of Dawn gave us a fair amount of discretion. I do not think we are bound to look only into this matter of the blackscour. We should see if there are not humans we can forge some sort of alliance with to stave off the coming evil. And do not the Traditions say that when the Elders are short-sighted, others must take up the path of wisdom?" Allareia brightens visibly at this thought--it is a way to do something to fight the evil that killed her betrothed, instead of spending more time in a haven, training endlessly.

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:59 pm

Syrronas has been lost in the warmth of the fire, He gazes up at the mention of alliance. "Convincing humans to ally with elves is not so easily done. Some might stand in the burning forest as their clothes caught fire while shouting that there is no problem, just to spite elves. Even in tragedy, some will cling to old prejudice, and the problem is not exclusively human."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:42 pm

"Some, yes," Celevan agrees. "But not all. We shouldn't condemn the entire race because some are found wanting. Even in Falcon's Hollow, there are good men. It's for them that I've made all my efforts. And it is they who I think may prove worthy allies to teh Elohim in the troubles to come."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Prelude - Graceful Oaks: The End

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:17 am

The trio sit around the fire as the night darkens around them. Like some clandestine group the three are a strange sight to see in the flickering light of the red fire. The red hair of Syrronas seems to glow brighter, while Allareia's white features almost fade, and the blue eyes of Celevan sparkle like some portals into the netherworld. The three speak for hours, of hope, alliances, plans for the future, and the dangers to come. Before they realize it its past midnight. One by one the trio drifts off to sleep, and one by one wakes in the morning ready to face the day and the trials that are to come. It is a small comfort that at least these three Elves seem to look eye to eye about the coming winter.

Dawn arrives, and soon three becomes four as Suli is summoned, and the four head off through the Darkmoon Plain. The plain is filled with small gesyers, shifting geothermal vents, and small mudpots and hot springs. The expert guidance of Celevan, assisted by Suli, leads you to the River Foam, and the Falcon's Hollow Ferry....
The End!

Way to go guys and girls. You did a great job on the prelude and I think we can all see where your characters are coming from (and where they are heading). Everyone did good. Now keep your eyes open for Chapter 1 starting soon (I hope today).

You each recieve 800 XP for the Combat and RP! Its not enough to level you up yet, but I won't be waiting for the end of Chapter 1 to award the next batch. Enjoy and keep your eyes open for Chapter 1
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring