Act 1 - Hollow's Last Hope

The Age of Magic is ended, Bhall, the Goddess of Fire, has succumbed to the whispers of Agares and fallen into Hell. Her worshipers and creations driven mad, and fire, which has been a powerful ally to man, has turned against him. Each good god was charged with the opposition of an evil god. Bhall was responsible for balancing Mulcarn, the God of Winter. Finding himself unopposed Mulcarn has broken The Compact and moved into Creation.

Creation was on the verge of another open war between the gods, that which they had outlawed with The Compact. To keep that from happening a deal was struck and the gods agreed that one god would enter Creation to challenge Mulcarn. That was Sucellus, the God of Nature. The two gods battled across the face of Creation, entire civilizations still recovering from the Burning Skies that marked the fall of Bhall were destroyed by their power. In the end Sucellus was killed and Mulcarn remained.

The Eternal Winter has begun...
Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Falcon's Hollow: Morning of the Cure

Post by Vardaen » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:57 pm

Breakfast is over, and the group packs up and thanks Mrs.Barrett for her hospitality, but then you are off. You hurry to Laurels and find that the word has already gotten out. There are dozens of people lined up outside her shop.

Sheriff Deldrin is there, along with two of his deputies trying to keep the peace. Suletor also stands before the woman's door snarling at the crowd as they surge forward and backwards, screaming and crying out for help. You quickly make your way into the Roots and Remedies with the help of Deldrin and find Laurel at her table.

She looks up, shouting, "One more minute! Oh its you all, thank the Gods. The cure is just about ready, I worked all night, but its ready." She looks tired and dirty, and the whole place stinks of pickled rat tail and roasted mushroom and something else you can't place your nose on. "I need cups, more cups. Someone run to The Sitting Duck and get some cups."

Torrak instantly nods and races off to the tavern to commondeer some cups. Laurel points at Dreams, "You, come here hold this." She has Dreams hold the bubbling pot of curative with a hot pot glove. Then she points to Celevan, "Grab the mugs I do have, this is easy to administer. We pour some mugs, and the people drink it, but its hot as Bhall's Pit right now, so be careful." She works on ladleing out the cure into mugs. "The trick will be getting people to drink it all, I know I know it smells terrible, its medicine, not a feast, what do you want?"

For the rest of the day you do nothing but assit in giving out the cure. Torrak eventually returns with more mugs, and you spend hours getting the sick to drink down the contents of the foul smelling cure. The crowd settles down, even cheers, once the first mug appears and Laurel declares she has a cure, and that you are responsible for it.

During the hours spent tending to the sick the group has two memorable encounters. The first is with Boss Payden 'œPay Day' Teedum, the broken nosed brute eventually arrives on the scene a few hours into administering the cure to the collected populace. Along with two of his personal bodyguards (thugs) he strolls up to the ground during a quiet moment. "Well! Looks like the carnival freaks managed to do what they said they would. Imagine that!" He is chewing his foul blood-bark chaw and spits a glob of spit at the foot of Celevan.
Feel free to back post helping out, its about noon time now when Payday arrives. We'll run his encounter now.

PayDay's Description
The lead man stalking toward the party is a pug-faced man with a bull neck, and an huge round and sour looking face. His nose appears mashed in, broken by some strong blow to it. He walks with a stride of purpose, and a swagger that says he owns the place. A keen eyes notices that he wears a set of fine bracers, with a wedding ring on his left hand. A large battle axe is strapped over his back, and tucked inside his lip is a bit of blood-bark chaw.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:28 pm

Celevan works hard to keep a calm outward appearance as he helps hand out the cure. Where he can, he assists the injured and greets those he knows by name. Meanwhile, Suletor prowls the edges of the crowd, looking for troublemakers. Some, no doubt, try to crowd in and push those away who arrived earlier, others likely come to see what gain can be had in a large crowd. The large cat is low to the ground and particularly on guard for pickpockets, thieves, and other rabble rousers, ready to give them a growl and a smack from his paw if they make trouble.

When Pay Day arrives, Celevan stands up from where he was leaning over to help an older woman finish her mug of the cure. "Sheriff Deldrin asked us to help," he says in a strong voice. "And we were happy to assist the lawful authorities take care of the people of this town." It couldn't hurt to remind Pay Day - and everyone else within earshot - that Del played his part in getting the cure.

"I'm glad we acted as quickly as we did," he adds. "It looks like we caught this before the worst of it hit." It would also not go awry to remind people of what might have happened if things had been left to the Lumber Consortium to handle in their own good time.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:28 am

Dreams works steadily, glad to be helping people in an immediate concrete way, after all the questing they have done. She speaks in calm and soothing tones to those she serves the cure to, in what must seem like an exotic, musical, Elohim accent to the humans of the community. She also keeps her eyes peeled for trouble--her weapons remain fixed to her belt. When Payday comes by, she keeps an eye on him, but says nothing in reply. She can see no point in exchanging words with this ill-tempered, selfish man. Part of her wishes to tell him that one of their number died in finding the cure, but she suspects he would only sneer. She will let Laurel and Deldrin tell the townspeople that when the initial rush for the cure is past.

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:40 am

Syrronas enjoys helping the others and ladling out the cure, he takes turns collecting and cleaning mugs getting them back into service. He watches as Pay Day and his thugs arrive, Syrronas stands beside Celevan as he confronts the Lumber Representative and his thugs. Lending his own countenance to the confrontation.
"Good Day, good to see you are still healthy, as it appears your shadows are healthy as well. If you have come to help we will be glad for extra hands helping the common good."
I will use diplomacy to shift his disposition if possible.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:50 pm

Payday snorts, sucking in some of his chaw juice and spitting it out again onto the street near Dreams. "Yeah, I told you you better help and its a good thing you did it when you did. 'Nuff of my workers were sick, now they can get back to work for the Consortium, chopping down trees. Good for you." He glances at Syrronas as the red haired Thelonite attempts to turn the gruff man's attitude to something less unfriendly. "Of course I'm healthy! Healthy as an Ox! Ain't no stupid mold gonna mess with Payday." He narrows his eyes as he readies a big spit of chew at Syrronas, "You red haired walking freakshow can do this yourself. Ain't gonna get no help from me. Below my station you see." He then horks up the spit and splashes Syrronas' boots with it as it splatters on the ground. "Now, where is the fine piece of tail you had with you last time. What was her name Wren? Bren? I could help her get healthy, if you know what I mean." He winks and licks his lips in the most disgustingly suggestive manner.
Dip: Roll 7 + 9 = 16 vs Unfriendly, fail
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:00 pm

Celevan narrows his pure eyes, but doesn't rise to the bait. "She fell in the service of Falcon's Hollow," he says simply. The Elohim knows that Payday is here to get attention for himself, and to bask in the reflected glory of the cure, hoping that some of it would stick. It was a vain hope. Payday's reputation was known by everyone in town. No one would think for a moment that such a weasel would have put himself out an inch to help anyone but himself. Nevertheless, Celevan has no desire to dance to Payday's tune.

"I'm afraid we're really rather busy here," he says a moment later. "There are still a good number of sick people who need to be dosed. If you'd like to help, you're welcome to stay. But I really need to get back to my work." Then the summoner turns his back to Payday and continues tending to the next sick person in the crowd.
Last edited by Trogdor on Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:01 pm

Dreams feels her blood boil, but keeps it under control. Instead, in a sad voice, she says, "Now you speak ill of the dead. She fell in battle against a warg gaurding part of the cure. You should be grateful to her--" Dreams looks around at all the gathered people "--a stranger who gave her life that your town and company might thrive. Is it too much to ask that you show a little respect?" She's looking at Payday now. "If not, I beg you to be on your way and allow us to aid these good folk."
Diplomacy check to make Payday go away.
Oops, looks like Trogdor and I posted at the sametime.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:36 pm

Payday snarls as Celevan turns his back to him, but Dreams chimes in. "Dead huh? That's too bad, she was the only one of you carnival freaks worth looking at." He kinda gives Dreams a look over, eyes lingering on her chest, "Naw, too skinny, damn elves." His cohorts laugh and makes a few lude jestures. "I ain't here to help you cure the sick. I'm here to deliever you a message, from The Gavel Thuldrin Kreed." That perks Celevan's ears up. Thuldrin Kreed is the leader of the Lumber Consortium, PayDay's boss, and generally the man that runs the show around Falcon's Hollow officially or not. "The Gavel says once you are done curing his workers, to get up to the Constorium right away. Said he's got a bone to pick with you and those kids of yours." Payday spits on the ground and walks off without answering another question or saying another work.

Once he's mostly gone he and his lackies start laughging once again.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:53 pm

Celevan's face looks grave as Payday leaves, though he keeps it turned away from the man until he and his minions are out of sight. Getting into a pissing match with Payday was one thing. Kreed was quite another. Even Del tread more lightly where Kreed was concerned.

"We need to be careful," he says to the others in a low voice. "Kreed wields immense power in this town. He's practically a king. The sheriff has been able to stand up to him on a few very important matters. But I doubt this will be one of them. If we hope to give the kids a relatively safe place to live, we have to make sure they're not on Kreed's bad side. That means being polite to him and not losing our tempers, no matter what he says."
I've written this up as one conversation for the sake of simplicity. But since we're in a crowd right now, Celevan would probably catch each person individually or in pairs to make these comments.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:01 pm

Torrak has been busy helping some others and comes walking up to Celevan now and hears the tale about Kreed. "This Kreed fellow sounds none to nice. Why does anyone live in this Stone forsaken village?" He shakes his head and notes a new pair arriving. A young girl deathly ill, being carried by her mother toward the crowd. The mother is crying and moving with trouble under the weight of her daughter and her tears. "Help me! Someone help me."

The mother appears part Thelonite, a raven hair half elven woman. The young daughter bares more resemblance to her mother's elven ancestror than her mother's human ancestory suggesting perhaps her father is elven as well. "Kimi, hold on!" She sobs to her daughter.