Act 3 - Seeking Justice

The Age of Magic is ended, Bhall, the Goddess of Fire, has succumbed to the whispers of Agares and fallen into Hell. Her worshipers and creations driven mad, and fire, which has been a powerful ally to man, has turned against him. Each good god was charged with the opposition of an evil god. Bhall was responsible for balancing Mulcarn, the God of Winter. Finding himself unopposed Mulcarn has broken The Compact and moved into Creation.

Creation was on the verge of another open war between the gods, that which they had outlawed with The Compact. To keep that from happening a deal was struck and the gods agreed that one god would enter Creation to challenge Mulcarn. That was Sucellus, the God of Nature. The two gods battled across the face of Creation, entire civilizations still recovering from the Burning Skies that marked the fall of Bhall were destroyed by their power. In the end Sucellus was killed and Mulcarn remained.

The Eternal Winter has begun...
Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Act 3 - Seeking Justice

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:44 pm

Dreams collects a set of skates for herself costing her the last ticket she has in her pocket. Strapping them on with some help from the girls she readies to skate on the ice. Just standing is tricky, this is an excellent test of balance and endurance for the Elohim. The girl give her pointers, "Don't bend your ankles. Stand up straight. Step step glide..." They hold her hand as she falls right off the bat, only a few steps on the ice. That makes Kimi giggle, "You really never skated before? You elves never seen the winter?" She and Nessa lend a hand and pull Dreams back up to her feet.

Over the course of the next 45 minutes Dreams manages to fall a few times but then she starts to get the hang of it. Apparently a natural the slender Elohim paladin finds the gliding to be rather comforting. Soon enough she and the girls are racing and playing games. After a bit Dreams draws the attention of a man to her side.

He skates up to her with ease and gives a polite nod. "Well hello there, Dreams is it? I remember you. I'm Milon, not sure you remember me. I helped give you directions in the woods when you were seeking a cure for the Blackscour." Milon Rhoddam is a older man, perhaps in his late fourties or early fifties. He's been around Falcon's Hollow his whole life and is know as a canny tracker and experienced woodsman. He appears well weathered, with a bit of grey along his sideburns, and plenty of wrinkles and calloused hands too boot from swinging an axe his whole life.
Acrobatics/Balance Checks: 6 Fall, 9 Fall, 22 Skate!, 24 Skate!, 20 Skate!

You met him here in Act 1
https://brennor.dyndns.org/rpg/Forums/v ... tml#138756[
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:37 pm

Dreams blushes furiously when she falls. She doesn't like being bad at things. Now that she's started though, her stubbornness kicks in and she's not about to give up. To Kimi, she explains, "We see plenty of winter. I just never really had the opportunity to learn to skate. When I was young, I had my head buried in books--though we did make snow forts and have snowball fights--and when I was older, I was training to be a warrior." Shakily, she gets up and gives it a try again.

Dreams nods as Milon comes up, skating alongside him. "Yes, I do remember you. You were quite helpful to us. I'm glad we were able to stop the blackscour before it took any more lives. How are you doing? I'm glad to see Kreed gave you lumberjacks the day off to enjoy the carnival."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:06 pm

Milon smiles, "I'm also pleased the taint was stopped, bad for living that sort of thing." He skates with only slightly better proficiency than Dreams has. "Kreed's a real bastard but even he knows better than to deny the 'jacks a day off for Quinn's Carnival every year." He falls silent a moment to focus on turning, then continues, "I heard you saved Jurin from some monsters, that was mighty nice of you. I was wondering what up at that old monastery, care to share the tale of your adventures?"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:21 am

"What's at the monastery?" Dreams makes a face in disgust. "The most pleasant thing they are the kobolds. There's also a number of undead beings haunting the place--a few less since we were there, but there's at least one really nasty undead dwarf still." She pauses and says, "It's not easy to talk about--I've lost two companions in that monastery to the monsters living there. Vren, Nessa's older sister," she points to the girl skating, "to a warg. And my fellow paladin Ellspeth, who was sacrificed by a kobold shaman. Let's just say that any stories you hear about adventuring being glorious are greatly exaggerated. We saved the children's lives, and I'm glad of that, but we had to kill many kobolds to do it. They may be an evil people, but ultimately they are children of the gods and the gods mourn their deaths as much as they do that of any kinder creature, no matter how necessary that death is." She smiles. "Sorry--you weren't look for a lecture or a sad tale, I know."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:21 pm

"No no, its fine. Kobolds you say and undead dwarves?" He shivers, "I am sorry to hear about your lost companions. It is a shame to have good people die trying to do good deeds for others." He reaches out and squeezes Dreams on the forearm, "Don't worry, Farrel will guide them to the next world." He looks out at the ice, "Shall we skate a bit more?"

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:23 pm

Dreams sighs inwardly when he squeezes her arm. It as she suspected--this man is interested in her. She supposes she should be flattered, but she finds the idea of a human as a partner repulsive--not to mention, all the history she has read tell her that such relationships end badly, if for no other reason than humans having such brief lives. On top of that, she is still in mourning. She tries to politely deflect his interest. "Why don't you come with me to see how Nessa and Kimi are doing? The loss of my companions was especially hard because I have lost many loved ones in recent years, including my betrothed. I am still in formal mourning for him--thus the black clothes. And we elves mourn for what you humans would consider a long time, given that we live so much longer--at least fifty years, more than half a human life time." She smiles gently at him, hoping to show that she does not have hard feelings toward him.
Diplomacy check to let him down gently. Take 10--I'm assuming that he's not so heavily invested in romancing me that the DC is higher than 18.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:09 pm

"Oh that is sad to hear." He seems willing to let things go, "Come then, let's see how well you can keep up on those skates." He skates off toward the girls allowing Dreams a moment to try and catch him before he slides to a halt near Kimi and Nessa.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:40 am

As Milon takes off, Dreams smiles, relieved that she doesn't have to deal with a human seeking a romantic relationship with her. She attempts to see if she can outrace them as they head towards the girls, ignoring the pain in the bottom of her feet from where she walked across the fire.
Acrobatic check to outrace Milon--or fall flat on my face, as the case may be.
Once they arrive, Dreams asks the girls, "How are you doing?" She also has another question she wants to ask Milon, but waits for the girls' reply.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:03 pm

Dreams goes all out, its all or nothing at this point. She starts out fine, pushing hard, then her toe catches, her arms flail and her balance goes off with the dwarves to have a drink. She falls face forward sprawled out on the ice spinning around and around like a pin wheel -- much to the delight of all the children on the rink.

Sliding to a frigid stop at the feet of the kids Dreams looks up from her prone icy position, "How are you doing?"

Ness and Kimi both start laughing so hard they fall on their butts holding their guts laughing and laughing and laughing. Even Millon can't help himself and he starts laughing at Dreams, the whole display was just too comical.

Acro: 5+4=9 FALL

Everyone is laughing in good fun, not being mean

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:50 pm

Dreams, blushing again, but grinning, stands up, brushing snow from her legs. "Well. I guess I still have a bit to learn about this," she says dryly. "That's what I get for taking Milon on his challenge to race him here. Maybe you guys can teach me a few more new moves," she says to the three of them. "I'd like to do be able to do something like that," she points to someone making a figure eight. "But I was never satisfied with just being good at something--I had to be excellent at it. It takes of bit of adjusting for me to be learning something brand new again." Though it wasn't that long ago she was learning the arts of swordsmanship and archery brand new--but something about them came naturally to her. As her dreams indicated, the path of the holy warrrior was a natural one for her.

She turns to Milon and, trying to cut a more graceful figure with a simpler movement of her skates, she says, "You say that Kreed knows better than to deny you and your fellow lumberjacks the day off to go the carnival. If that's true, why can't you make it so that he doesn't dare do anything but treat you fairly? Surely you can put the fear of the gods in him if you work together." Dreams isn't quite sure what she's suggesting. She doesn't want to start a riot or anything, but no Elohim would consent to live under such conditions. Any elders who treated to meet out such treatment would quickly cease to be elders, their rulings ignored. "Among the Elohim, we do not let greedy ones such as Kreed rule us, but rule ourselves through democratic assemblies, with wise elders acting as advisers and mediators. I cannot see why you humans might not do something similar--your elders would shorter lives than ours, but humans seem to learn quickly enough to make up for that."