Act 4 - Cold Marrow Expedition

The Age of Magic is ended, Bhall, the Goddess of Fire, has succumbed to the whispers of Agares and fallen into Hell. Her worshipers and creations driven mad, and fire, which has been a powerful ally to man, has turned against him. Each good god was charged with the opposition of an evil god. Bhall was responsible for balancing Mulcarn, the God of Winter. Finding himself unopposed Mulcarn has broken The Compact and moved into Creation.

Creation was on the verge of another open war between the gods, that which they had outlawed with The Compact. To keep that from happening a deal was struck and the gods agreed that one god would enter Creation to challenge Mulcarn. That was Sucellus, the God of Nature. The two gods battled across the face of Creation, entire civilizations still recovering from the Burning Skies that marked the fall of Bhall were destroyed by their power. In the end Sucellus was killed and Mulcarn remained.

The Eternal Winter has begun...
Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Act 4 - Cold Marrow Expedition

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:05 pm

Image Strange winds blow down from Droskar's Crag, bringing on an early winter.
The ground crunches underfoot with thick frost, and autumn surrenders without a fight.
Days grow shorter and stars hold court in the darkness reigning above.
An unnatural cold permeates the town, and the Foam River's jubilant voice is frozen under the ice.
Birds abandon their nests for warmer climes, their songs silenced by winter's grim embrace.
The frozen riverbank north of town a barren sight of blood and death.

Falcon's Hollow has suffered enough.

** Dinner Time, Home, September 26th, 52 Years After the Fall of Bhall **

Two days ago the Carnival came to town. With it came games and attractions, fun and festivities. The townsfolk were blind to the Dark Ice Fey that slipped secretly into the carnival lead by a Cold Rider of Mulcarn. As the fun went on a powerful relic was used, The Eye of Rapture, to turn the carnival into a macabre freak show of death and murder. Nearly one hundred townsfolk died in the grim spectacle that followed. Thanks to the brave actions of our heroes the town was spared an even worse fate.

A group of locals had been turned into trees, but thanks to the Fey Queen Syntira and her Elohim ally Beltarion those people were just returned to normal. Now back in the house of our heroes talk of an expedition begins as dinner is cooked.

Edgrin and Torrak have done as suggested, the lamb was cut in half and now both are seasoning it as they believe is best. "...its a contest!" The pair are in the background, but every now and then you hear one shouting or laughing at the other's choices as they make ready to roast dinner.

In the room the kids all run to Gunner's side and are hugging and whispering. The little ones don't speak much but at the sight of their 'big brother' they are more active. Even Jurin Kreed is here, he's becoming best friends with Gunner, even if his dad Thuldrin Kreed (the biggest lumber baron in town) doesn't like it. The man can not deny the group has saved his son for him more than once now.

As the talk of 'work' starts the kids move to a corner of the house. The place is small, too small, and it is crowded with everyone here, but it is a good crowding, like when all your family is over for a Winter's Day Feast or other holiday.

Outside Wil makes sure his wolf companion is comfortable in the shed, the place doesn't have a proper stable or barn attached, and the weather starts in on him, but more so the good smells of roasting meat from the kitchen chimney hits his nose and he can't resist coming inside -- only for a little bit.
Welcome to Act 4!

We have lost a few players and gained a few more. We continue the game with Trogdor, Muskrat, Grimbold and have recently added mackaber and Gabrian! Everyone is at 5th level.

We pick up right where we left off from the end of Act 3. This act I suspect will be far more player driven. We have several things that characters want to do and I won't stand in your way to get them done. I believe the over all goal may be to explore the Cold Marrow and look into the Panalopy of Sucellus as spoken of in Ulizmila's Codex.

A few loose ends also will be resolved.
1. Syrrona's funeral.
2. Rewards left over from the Carnival.

Other than that, you tell me what we are doing this act!
Last edited by Vardaen on Wed May 28, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Act 4 - Cold Marrow Expedition

Post by Trogdor » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:16 pm

As the crowded room gets busier and busier, Celevan sits back in a corner and watches with a pleasant amusement. The children always made even the darkest of situations seem lighter, and he was glad for that. Occasionally he smiles or chuckles as if hearing a private joke. Once or twice he nods. After a time he speaks up, addressing his words to Beltarion.

"So tell us about yourself," he says to the man. "We know precious little about you, save that you were able to turn enchanted trees back into people."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:33 pm

"And we should tell you about the expedition we have planned," says Dreams, "though there are some loose ends I would like to take care of here in town before we set out."

"On a previous expedition into the woods, we visited the house of the witch Ulizmilla, only to find that she seemed to have left it a long while ago. We found a manuscript in there, that Torias has been translating and could probably best tell you about. But it gives us some ideas about how we might find the growing grip of the winter god." Dreams would prefer not to speak the name of Mulcarn out loud, since it said that using the name of a god draws the god's attention.

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:37 am

Wilfried has returned inside smelling the good lamb. He takes a seat and follows the conversation his ears perking up at the mention of Ulizmilla.
Big Pimpin...

Grimbold
Title: Professor

Post by Grimbold » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:10 pm

Torias nods, he sums up his findings, not going into detail for now. "We must explore Cold Marrow - there we might find the artifacts of Sucellus. I think that is what Ulizmila was after. Perhaps we can find the artifacts, or even find out about her fate..."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:55 pm

Edgrin from the kitchen is listening in of course, and shouts, "That's a deadly section of the forest. My group and I once wandered close to the edge. I would not envy you if you head there." Then he shouts, "Torrak! What are you *doing* to those potatoes! No no no no!" There is a lot of pot banging and noise making now.
Here is your current house.

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Gabrian
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Gabrian » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:23 pm

Beltarion scratches his head, deep in thought after given the information. "Interesting... and you plan to head there soon? All of you?" His eyes go from person to person, assuring himself that they are not taking such an outing lightly and going with as much force as they have.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:47 pm

"Oh yes," Celevan says with a nod. "I know the dangers of the Cold Marrow. But this venture is not unimportant. It doesn't look like Winter is showing any signs of getting milder. These artifacts of Sucellus might be the key to Falcon's Hollow surviving the cold."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word

Post by Muskrat » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:57 pm

"Just Falcon's Hollow?" says Dreams, raising her eyebrows in surprise. "While I have come to care about this town, I think the implications of finding artifacts of Secullus have significance for much more than Falcon's Hollow--possibly the whole world, if the winter god's grip is indeed tightening." She pauses, then says, "But, yes, we plan to head into the Cold Marrow. We will be mindful of the dangers and prepare for them, but the potential importance of what we might find makes it worth it." She turns towards the kitchen and calls out to Edgrin, "Can you tell us something of the dangers you encountered when you went to the Cold Marrow? The more we know what to expect, the better prepared we will be."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:06 am

"I think that we're best off starting thinking about Falcon's Hollow," Celevan replies. If Sucellus himself couldn't defeat the God of Winter, I doubt that his artifacts alone will be able to stave off the coming Winter. But they might be able to create a haven against it. If it works for Falcon's Hollow, then we can think about expanding it to help more people. But we don't want to get ahead of ourselves, lest our reach exceed our grasp and everything fail."

"I want to help more than just Falcon's Hollow too," he reassures Dreams. "But I think it wise to take things step-by-step. First Falcon's Hollow, then the world."