Act 5 - Revenge of the Kobold King

The Age of Magic is ended, Bhall, the Goddess of Fire, has succumbed to the whispers of Agares and fallen into Hell. Her worshipers and creations driven mad, and fire, which has been a powerful ally to man, has turned against him. Each good god was charged with the opposition of an evil god. Bhall was responsible for balancing Mulcarn, the God of Winter. Finding himself unopposed Mulcarn has broken The Compact and moved into Creation.

Creation was on the verge of another open war between the gods, that which they had outlawed with The Compact. To keep that from happening a deal was struck and the gods agreed that one god would enter Creation to challenge Mulcarn. That was Sucellus, the God of Nature. The two gods battled across the face of Creation, entire civilizations still recovering from the Burning Skies that marked the fall of Bhall were destroyed by their power. In the end Sucellus was killed and Mulcarn remained.

The Eternal Winter has begun...
Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Act 5 - Revenge of the Kobold King

Post by Trogdor » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:27 pm

"The first day that I run into rainbows and puppies," Celevan replies, "you'll be the first person I come to tell about it." He half smiles. "Unfortunately, I haven't seen either in a while around here. Right now we have another potential threat to the town - one that Kreed may not recognize as a threat. He might even welcome it in."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:48 pm

"Yes," says Dreams grimly. "Something ... unholy wants to cut a deal with the town and Kreed may see safety in the offer, where there is most likely treachery. But let's try to find the Sheriff, so we only have to explain it once and so we can all think through together how to deal with the situation. Even in the unlikely event Kreed decides to the wise thing, other townsfolk may not want to--and even if everyone agrees on the wise thing, the situation will be exceedingly dicey. But I'm being very cryptic. As I said, let's go looking for the Sheriff and then talk in private."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:53 am

Laurel looks worried, "Alright, come on." She grabs her shall and heads out locking up the shop and flipping a little sign over that says, "Will return later". The group goes wandering the town, and after a short while located Sheriff Deldrin Baleson at the sheriff's office of all places. He welcome you in an offers you a seat, "Well this can't be good." He blows on a hot cut of tea and then paces over to his desk and sits, "Lay it on me." The man knows when you are all together it can't be good.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:26 pm

Wilfried stands close to the door. He is uncomfortable around the sheriff's place as he fears that the Sheriff might still begrudge him due to teenage failings.
Big Pimpin...

Grimbold
Title: Professor

Post by Grimbold » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:39 pm

Torias waits for Celevan or Dreams to speak. He is not a big talker.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:54 pm

Dreams says, "Oh, it's definitely not good. While we were out in the Cold Marrow, we encountered a woman referring to herself as the Illian Seer. She is a servant of the Winter God and seems to command the local Frostlings. She wants control of Falcon's Hollow, but she's smart enough that she's willing to do it by guile instead of force. She'll be coming to pay the town a visit in a month or so with an offer of protection in return for the worship of the Winter God. I fear the protection will be rather like that of the organized crime syndicates I've read of in human cities. We've already told Kreed. Our fear is that he won't see the dangers of such a deal and agree to it in the name of Falcon's Hollow. I think we managed to persuade him that this is a discussion the whole town has to have, if only because if people help make the decision they'll be more invested in it. And, of course, there's the real danger that even if Kreed makes the wise choice, many people in Falcon's Hollow might see a deal with the Illian Seer as being to the town's benefit. We wanted your and Laurel's help in letting the townsfolk know what is coming and getting them seriously thinking about the dangers of such a deal." She pauses and says, "You know--we could probably turn Kreed against such a deal by pointing out to him that it would involve him surrendering control of the town to someone else. But we still need to persuade the citizens of the danger." Dreams clearly assumes that Laurel and Baleson are wise enough to see the danger on their own.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:50 pm

Baleson sits back down, "Why is it you can't ever come to me with stories about good harvests or overflowing unclaimed gold mines?"

Laurel laughs, "That's what I said!"

The two get more serious and listen up, they ask a few questions so they are clear on the matter then sit and think. "So you believe we should fight against this Illian Seer and her Frostlings, and not seek some sort of diplomatic solution with them? I take it then you will help us do that."

Baleson sighs, "Like we don't have enough trouble with Kreed, but Kreed with goblins on his side would be a real pain in my arse."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:02 am

Dreams pauses a moment to think and says, "I'm not against a diplomatic solution, but I don't know that the Illian Seer will settle for one that will not ultimately leave Falcon's Hollow subject to the rule of the Winter God. What the townsfolk need to think about is, which is the better path--to take the hard path and defend their freedom, while taking some losses in the short run or to take the easy path and become ruled by a cruel and callous deity who wants no one to have any freedom in the long run." She spreads her hands. "I don't pretend this is an easy question to answer and I understand why many might want to take the easy path--but I think in the end it will lead to a worse place."

Grimbold
Title: Professor

Post by Grimbold » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:23 pm

"We should never give in to the evil gods." Torias adds. "It is a sin, and will make us all slaves of the Evil One. It will be worse than what they did at the carnival."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:17 pm

Laurel rubs her temples, "No we shouldn't, but we also shouldn't all die in the effort. This is a truly terrible situation we are going to be in. I wonder if Falcon's Hollow will survive it. Many of these people are already only just managing."

Baleson agrees, "Kreed could ruin this town one tree at a time but a horde of Frostlings, or a sudden surge in Mulcarn worship could be far worse than anything that man could do."

You talk to them for another hour debating options, and possibilities. Both are on board with you all, perhaps less black and white about the matter, but neither wants to seen the town in ruin or in the hands of the Forstlings. After a time you finish your conversations and return home or other places to handle personal matters.
I'm going to FF the game about a week. So you should look into the building your home OOC thread so we can have that worked out for a week. Buying labor or working on the place yourself, also you'll want to consider what else you might be doing over this time.

House:
https://brennor.dyndns.org/rpg/Forums/v ... tml#243505

https://brennor.dyndns.org/rpg/Forums/v ... =6796.html