Act 5 - Revenge of the Kobold King

The Age of Magic is ended, Bhall, the Goddess of Fire, has succumbed to the whispers of Agares and fallen into Hell. Her worshipers and creations driven mad, and fire, which has been a powerful ally to man, has turned against him. Each good god was charged with the opposition of an evil god. Bhall was responsible for balancing Mulcarn, the God of Winter. Finding himself unopposed Mulcarn has broken The Compact and moved into Creation.

Creation was on the verge of another open war between the gods, that which they had outlawed with The Compact. To keep that from happening a deal was struck and the gods agreed that one god would enter Creation to challenge Mulcarn. That was Sucellus, the God of Nature. The two gods battled across the face of Creation, entire civilizations still recovering from the Burning Skies that marked the fall of Bhall were destroyed by their power. In the end Sucellus was killed and Mulcarn remained.

The Eternal Winter has begun...
Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Vade's Tower

Post by Trogdor » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:37 pm

"I'm sorry I never had a chance to meet you earlier," Celevan says "For a while we kept just missing each other. Then the recent troubles arose in Falcon's Hollow, and, well, you know how busy we've been. But you're right, we probably should have consulted you about some of the troubles. No doubt your knowledge could have been useful."

"Right now our visit is threefold. First, we wanted to see if you had any magic that might help us track the murderer of Boss Teedum; second, we wanted to consult with you about a great evil that will soon visit Falcon's Hollow; and third, we wanted to discuss whether you would be interested in buying a few enchanted items that we recently recovered."

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Vade's Tower

Post by Eilandor » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:58 pm

Braedon introduces himself to Sharvaros, stating what is likely obvious to the man that he has recently arrived in Falcon's Hollow. He waits patiently for the mans response to the threefold reason they stand before him.
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Vade's Tower

Post by Vardaen » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:30 pm

Vade motions for the group to sit, "I take no offense in your long absence from my home. Don't worry too much about it Celevan Blue Eyes. I welcome our newcomers to town, Braedon and Drak." He takes a seat, "Well when you come with issues you don't hold back do you? Let's tackle these in reverse order. Let me see the items you have for sale." You produce the items and he looks them over. "I think I could use them, or know of a few I could trade them to. I'll give a fair market price for them in gold or trade. I have a few items of magical worth perhaps you'd be interested in yourself." He mentions some items he has and offers them to you as well.
Basically he will buy them, half price as normal. He also has magical items to sell. I'm not about to try and list things, if you want something, ask me and I'll let you know if he has it for sale. Under 6000gp and its likely he has it.

I'll update the loot sheet and such to sell off the items
"As for Payday, a shame, a real shame about his death." You can hear the sarcasm dripping in his words, "Couldn't have happened to a nicer man." He considers, "I am no diviner, in fact I've gone to great lengths to study other schools of magic at the expense of divination. Beyond a few simple detection spells I won't be of much use to you. However you might seek out Vondrella of the Church of Farrel, if you can find her at home. She might have auguries or divinations she could help you with."

He folds his hands on the table, "Now as for this third item, some evil?" He look at his son and then snaps out at him, "Upstairs with you, clean the beakers on the center table, they need a good washing. " The boy starts to complain about being sent away but dad snaps, "I said go! GO!" Head hung he does as told and goes up stairs.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Vade's Tower

Post by Muskrat » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:08 pm

Vade's pronunciation may be flawless, but that doesn't stop Dreams from inwardly cringing at hearing a human speak Elohim. She politely keeps any such expression from her face.

As Vade sends his son out of the room, she says, "I would agree that this is nothing a boy of his age should hear--but I fear he will hear about it all too soon. During our travels through the Cold Marrow, we ran into a servant of the Winter God, a woman known as the Illian Seer. Her Frostling followers attacked us and we were forced to strike a bargain with her. She will be arriving in Falcon's Hollow in about a week and ask the town to bend their knee to the Winter God, in return for protection--though, of course, the protection is from the Winter God himself. We fear that some in town may see this as a good bargain, not thinking through the fact that this will put them in a position where they will be vulnerable to ever more demands from the Illian Seer, till they are ground into the dust. We wanted to speak to you and other respected people in town to help persuade the townsfolk to reject the Illian Seer's offer."

As Vade responds, Dreams studies him carefully. Since they don't know the wizard, they can't actually be sure where his loyalties lie.
Detect Evil to sense his alignment.

And Sense Motive to get a sense of where his loyalties lie--he may be evil but opposed to Mulcarn and loyal to Falcon's Hollow for reasons of his own.

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Vade's Tower

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:31 pm

Drak introduces himself along with Braedon and then sits back to let Dreams do the bulk of conversing.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Vade's Tower

Post by Vardaen » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:05 pm

Vade listens to Dreams and shakes his head, "I've only vaguely heard of these Frostlings coming down from the north, or located in great wintry mountain areas. Are they truly such a threat? Even to Falcon's Hollow?" He shivers a moment thinking on how the winter has already arrived and how strong. "So you believe we should do what? Stand up to this Seer and the Winter God? Will Falcon's Hollow be able to defend itself if these Frostlings attack us? Can we survive the coming winter, and I don't mean against attacks, but with food stores and supplies until spring arrives?"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Vade's Tower

Post by Trogdor » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:19 pm

"I believe we have a chance," Celevan replies. "We don't have to stand up to the Winter God himself, just some of his agents. And Falcon's Hollow is more resilient than it may appear."

"As to whether we can survive the coming winter, ..." The summoner shrugs. "We have to try. That may well mean changing our habits. More hunting and fishing, some winter crops, and the like. But we'll manage."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Vade's Tower

Post by Vardaen » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:29 pm

Vade considers Celevan's comments, "It may be possible of course with your help. I am not one to jump to conclusions until I have studied the problem from all sides. I will reserve my judgement until this meeting takes place. Who knows it might be better than you expect. I do appreciate you telling me all of this before hand. Gives me time to get my thoughts together. I have a son to think of your know, not just me. In my younger days I might have flung a few spells here and there without thought, but I'm a father now, and my son depends on me. I can't throw my life away on ideals now. I won't let him grow up an orphan in this town!"

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Vade's Tower

Post by Muskrat » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:21 pm

What about my attempts to read Vade, both with Detect Evil and Sense Motive?
Dreams says, "Certainly, you need to consider the well-being of your son. No one's asking you to put yourself in harm's way. I'm quite willing to take on the dangers this may involve and I suspect my companions are as well. But you should consider what sort of life you want your son to have. Kreed may not be a benevolent ruler, but his tyranny will surely look petty compared to that of the agents of the Winter God. We're not talking a self-interested businessman here, but goblin reavers. Kreed may not be kind, but he has some interest in the well-being of this town. The Illian Seer and her Frostling hordes want only to eliminate any opposition--and once Falcon's Hollow has submitted, they will surely make more demands in return for their 'protection.' They would be like an organized crime racket, only far more cruel."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Vade's Tower

Post by Vardaen » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:18 pm

Geepers Vardaen pay attention! I actually was considering that and then forgot to post about it! Sorry. I had to do some research to determine if Vade knows you cast Detect Evil on him or not.

At first I believed he'd totally know since it casts "as Detect Magic" which has V,S,DF components, but further digging on the power itself which is a Spell-like Ability turned up:

Usually, a spell-like ability works just like the spell of that name. A spell-like ability has no verbal, somatic, or material component, nor does it require a focus. The user activates it mentally.

So if you had cast the spell, then yes he would know, but since its activated mentally with no V,S,DF components then I guess he doesn't realize it.
Vade nods to Dreams, "I've never been one to make a deal with a devil, summoning is also not my niche, but I must consider the options and the well fare of my boy. Perhaps its time to pack up and leave Falcon's Hollow. That would certainly solve this trouble for me. I've always enjoyed warmer weather anyhow." He stands and collects the empty mugs around the table, "I will give you words great thought, Allareia-Nosaki-na'Tirris Arrasul-Elassyrin-el'Tirion."