Act 5 - Revenge of the Kobold King

The Age of Magic is ended, Bhall, the Goddess of Fire, has succumbed to the whispers of Agares and fallen into Hell. Her worshipers and creations driven mad, and fire, which has been a powerful ally to man, has turned against him. Each good god was charged with the opposition of an evil god. Bhall was responsible for balancing Mulcarn, the God of Winter. Finding himself unopposed Mulcarn has broken The Compact and moved into Creation.

Creation was on the verge of another open war between the gods, that which they had outlawed with The Compact. To keep that from happening a deal was struck and the gods agreed that one god would enter Creation to challenge Mulcarn. That was Sucellus, the God of Nature. The two gods battled across the face of Creation, entire civilizations still recovering from the Burning Skies that marked the fall of Bhall were destroyed by their power. In the end Sucellus was killed and Mulcarn remained.

The Eternal Winter has begun...
Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Vade's Tower

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:34 pm

"Growing up, I spent all my time listening to prophets tell me how my blood is derived from Bhall herself. While I have never really believed in all that mumbo jumbo, I do feel a natural urge to combat the winter. You can count on me when this Illian Seer shows up." During Drak's speech his bronze scale skin emits a dim orange glow but quickly goes out when he is finished talking. "However, I think we should focus on solving the death of Payday as to obtain the respect of Kreed. That will make it easier to convince him once the Illian Seer shows up."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Vade's Tower

Post by Muskrat » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:36 pm

Dreams gives Drak a warm smile, then turns back to Vade. "I think it would be a loss for the town if you left, but if that's you think you must do to protect your son, I will certainly not try to stop you. I think many might wish to follow you, but not have the resources to do so." She looks at the others to see if they have any further business here. If not, she says, "I wish you fare well and may the benevolent gods go with you, whatever path you choose," to Vade and steps out.

Once they are out of earshot of the wizard's tower, she says, "I think telling Vade about the coming of the Illian Seer was a mistake, at least right now. Certainly, we should tell everyone eventually. But I think we should start with people like Sheriff Baleson, Laurel and Milon, whose support we can probably count on them--then have them help us tell the rest of the village. We are more likely to convince people to refuse allegiance to the Winter God that way."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Vade's Tower

Post by Trogdor » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:48 pm

"I know you'll give it a good deal of thought. But consider this, there may not be anyplace warmer than this for long. And I doubt very much that the Illian Seers will stop with Falcon's Hollow. It's an issue you'll have to deal with sooner or later. Better to deal with it when you have allies you can trust at your back than when you and your son are all alone in a new place." He shrugs. "I'll respect your decision whatever you do. But I hope you'll stay. We could use a man of your stature standing beside us."

Then, if Vade has nothing more, Celevan will make his cordial goodbyes and follow Dreams out.

Once past Vade's tower, Dreams sets her opinion forth and the summoner can't help but shake his head. "Vade is one of the pillars of this community," he begins. "He's known and respected by most of the town. He deserves to know what's coming with enough time to think matters through. He'd not take kindly to being kept in the dark while others we deemed more likely to follow our advice were told. If we want his support, we need to treat him with respect, and that means telling him about what's coming. Yes, he might decide to cut and run. Better we know that sooner than later, I say."

"In the end, though, We can't treat the people of Falcon's Hollow like children. It's their town too, and they deserve to have a chance to decide its future. Yes, we want to guide them to what we feel is the right choice. But we can't lead them by the nose. We have to respect their judgement. Otherwise we're no better than the Seers."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Vade's Tower

Post by Muskrat » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:50 pm

Dreams nods and says, "I agree. But I don't think being strategic about how we approach persuading people is at odds with respecting their right to make the decision. Among the Elohim, we make our decisions in great assemblies. Everyone's opinion is respected, at least in principle, though being mortal, we are not perfect. But that does not mean that some, both the Elders who feel their wisdom is relevant, and those who have strong feelings about the issue, do not try to persuade others and that they are not strategic about persuading others, approaching Elders and other respected people outside meetings to talk about these issues. I'm not saying we should only speak to Laurel, Baleson and Milon. I'm saying we should start with them and then work out from there. If the people of Falcon's Hollow decide to bend their knee to the Winter God--well, they have the right to make that decision, but I would very seriously consider leaving the town then. The person most likely to treat the townspeople as children and try to impose his will on them though is Kreed--and if the majority of the townspeople come down one way and Kreed another, then things could get very ugly."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Vade's Tower

Post by Trogdor » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:59 pm

"But remember," Celevan says, "with the Elohim, matters are brought before the assemblies for everyone to hear as soon as possible. Secrets are not kept any longer than is necessary. It is only during the time given for deliberation after the initial presentation that some, such as the Elders, try and persuade others of the wisdom of their position. All I mean by what I say is that the people of Falcon's Hollow, especially its leaders, deserve to know about the situation as soon as possible so that they can fully digest it. Ideally, we'd have an assembly of those in the town during which we briefed them all on the matter at the same time. But barring that, I think telling the pillars of the community as we see them is not an unreasonable course of action. Yes, we should tell Laurel, Baelson, and Milon as soon as possible. But that doesn't mean we should wait to tell others."

"As for the results of the decision," he adds. "I agree with you. If the town votes to join with the Winter God, I can't see myself staying here for very long. The people will have planted their garden and will have to harvest it."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Vade's Tower

Post by Muskrat » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:33 pm

Dreams considers a moment and says, "Fair enough. I do not think we disagree that much in any case. And we have already told Kreed. Laurel, Baleson, and Milon are the next logical people, as well as Vondrella, the priestess of Farrel that Vade mentioned. I do not know her, but I have trouble imagining she would willingly submit to the Winter God, unless she is false to her calling. We should also speak to Magistrate Harg. Anyone else?"
I don't see Farrell listed among the gods and only a brief mention that their church is controversial among the people of Falcon's Hollow. Can you give us more information, V?

Grimbold
Title: Professor

Vade's Tower

Post by Grimbold » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:26 pm

<Elohim>"You are correct." Torias answers, in accented Elohim speech. "My brother does not wear glasses."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

October 25th, Payday from Beyond the Grave

Post by Vardaen » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:25 pm

Clearly Grimbold missed some posts, as the scene has moved along.
At some point during the conversation Torias, speaking in Elohim (which must drive Dream's insane) replies about him not being his twin brother. Its a minor point, and about all Torias adds to the conversation. You finish your sales and head out, you return home debating who to tell and not who to tell. Already you've told Laurel and Baleson and even Kreed, and now Vade.

You have alot to talk about and to plan so you decide to spend the rest of what's left of the day among yourselves sorting out your own position on things. You spend the day checking on the kids, and dealing with matters of the nearly finished house and finally today becomes tonight and eventually tomorrow.

The Next Day, October 25th

You wake, today is the day Torias is going to try and speak to Payday's body. So you gather yourselves and head to Baleson's tiny prison to speak to Payday's corpse. He's been dead a day now, but Laurel has filled the jail with some sweet smelling burnt sage to make it less insulting to your nose. Those you want gathered have gathered.
Okay let's do this! Who is here?
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:44 pm

Dreams comes along, cautiously hopeful that they might find something out from Payday's corpse. The sight and smell of the body doesn't bother her--she's seen too many corpses for it to phase her.

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:57 pm

Drak leans up against a wall with his arms crossed and lets the group do their thing. He just observes, no really able to add anything.