Act 6 - The Pallid Plague

The Age of Magic is ended, Bhall, the Goddess of Fire, has succumbed to the whispers of Agares and fallen into Hell. Her worshipers and creations driven mad, and fire, which has been a powerful ally to man, has turned against him. Each good god was charged with the opposition of an evil god. Bhall was responsible for balancing Mulcarn, the God of Winter. Finding himself unopposed Mulcarn has broken The Compact and moved into Creation.

Creation was on the verge of another open war between the gods, that which they had outlawed with The Compact. To keep that from happening a deal was struck and the gods agreed that one god would enter Creation to challenge Mulcarn. That was Sucellus, the God of Nature. The two gods battled across the face of Creation, entire civilizations still recovering from the Burning Skies that marked the fall of Bhall were destroyed by their power. In the end Sucellus was killed and Mulcarn remained.

The Eternal Winter has begun...
Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

The Arrival of the Cleric of Mulcarn

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:35 pm

"That little bit wasn't lost on me either." Drak replies to Braedon.

"I will do what I can to be diplomatic. But I am afraid fire and ice just don't mix."
Drak will probably keep his distance from the Cleric, but has no problem talking with him.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

The Arrival of the Cleric of Mulcarn

Post by Muskrat » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:00 am

Dreams says softly to the others, "I used the sight the gods have given me to look into mortals' souls--and Winterson is not marked by evil. It could be he is some sort of dupe--and who better to convince others of the winter god's good will than one who believes it? Or it could be he is non-malicious opportunist. Or it could be some sort of magic guards him from my sight. We should try to get a sense of his character when we speak with him."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

In the Church of Mulcarn

Post by Vardaen » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:12 pm

Torias shakes his head, "Nay, I won't set foot in that building. Not if I can help it. I'll go speak to Baleson and Laurel about this. You deal with that cultist, I'm just as like to bash his head in than speak to him." The dwarf then storms off to the Roots and Remedies.

You take stock of things a moment, Dreams mentions she could not divine that the man was evil and what that might portend. Then the rest of you head to the church to meet with Winterson. You push open the door, for some of you this place is nothing new, you were inside to help build it. Others this is your first step past the threshold. It is a simple building.

There is one large main chamber on the first floor, set with a few benches that face a small dais at the far side, but far less than what would fill it or that it can take. A small storage room is on the far right flank of the dais. A steep ladder near the door side of the chamber leads up to a room that takes up half the upper floor. It could be used as an office or a bed room or whatever might be needed. A small icon stove is placed near the back of the chamber, the heat from it warms both floors. The windows lack any glass, but are shuttered against the cold.

You notice at once on entering the church is already warm, and you remove your hats and mittens almost at once without thinking about it. At the front of the church, on the dais Winterson stands, his great wolf is just laying sprawled out in the middle of the floor.

Fannar's gear and cloak is set on a bench, and he wears only a simple set of woolen clothing now. He turns and regards you with a smile. "Welcome to the Church of Mulcarn, by your look I guess you are the heralds, those that arranged this whole thing?" He paces forward slowly, and with a warm smile and gentle manner.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

In the Church of Mulcarn

Post by Trogdor » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:32 pm

"Indeed we are," Celevan says stepping forward and offering the priest his hand. He gives the man a hearty handshake. "My name is Celevan, though you'll hear many of the townsfolk call me Evan. I don't mind the abbreviation. How do you wish to be called around town?" He waits until introductions are complete before talking further.

"It's a simple building," the blue-eyed summoner says, gesturing around the mostly bare room. But the hardworking people of this town put a great deal of effort into making it for you in time, even those who disagree with your master. I hope you appreciate that."

He pauses a moment then looks Winterson in the eyes. "I'll be honest about things," he adds politely. "We fall among those who oppose your master. We disagree with his policies, his tactics, and his plans for the world. I know it's your job to convince the people of Falcon's Hollow to pray to the god of winter. But that's not something that we feel we can support. It's nothing against you personally. But our current beliefs don't allow us to venerate your master. I hope you'll understand that. We mean you no ill will in particular, even if we don't agree with the church of the god of winter."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

In the Church of Mulcarn

Post by Vardaen » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:17 pm

Fannar shakes hands with Celevan and anyone else that offers theirs to him. "Well met Celevan of Falcon's Hollow, I see you are no ordinary man. Touched by the gods are you?" He taps at his eyes to indicate the Assimar's blue crystal eyes. "I need no elaborate temple like those of Lietbur's Order, or the sprawling palaces of the Calabim. No, a simple building for a simple task. It is stout and strong, I can see, and already it has resisted the fires of the irrational. I like it." His wolf gives a slight whine and looks up to see Aela as she arrives. "Mjallhvít finds it suitable as well..." he indicates that is the name of his great wolf companion.

"I'll be honest with you Evan, I didn't expect you to welcome me with open arms. Few understand the teachings of Mulcarn, or the purpose of my order. I am not come to destroy or defeat those that oppose me. Have been sent to speak the word, and to cut the path through the coming winter snows. There is no resisting the Winter God, not in the long run. Those that walk forward with open eyes will see the dangers, those who shut them, shall fall into the storm and be lost. My hope is that the good people of Falcon's Hollow will go forward with open eyes, and open hearts, and will weather the coming storm."

He adds almost as an after thought, "And the only way to do that is through Mulcarn's Grace."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

In the Church of Mulcarn

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:42 pm

"I wouldn't go as far to say that is the only way. But, it is the way we have decided is best for the survival of this town." Drak tacks on to the end of the Cleric's last sentence.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

In the Church of Mulcarn

Post by Vardaen » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:00 pm

"Wise words. You are Malakim, by the look of you. I am pleased to meet you." He offers his hand and expects at least Drak's name in greeting in return.

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

In the Church of Mulcarn

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:20 pm

"I am Drak Kehnt. It is Draconic for Dragon Hand." Drak doesn't move when the Cleric offers his hand.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

In the Church of Mulcarn

Post by Vardaen » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:24 pm

Fannar retracts his hand from the chilly reception from Dragon Hand. "A far way from home you are Dragon Hand, or perhaps Falcon's Hollow is home now. Either way, I am pleased to meet you, even if you are not pleased to meet me. I can not expect everyone I meet to be polite, even if I am polite to them. A shame really."

He paces back to look at the empty dais. "I shall fill this place with warmth and song, and hope." He turns back to gaze at your group. "I hope we may be friends in time, or at the least not enemies. This world has enough hardships in it; there is no need to create more."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

In the Church of Mulcarn

Post by Muskrat » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:36 pm

Reluctant Follower of Dreams reluctantly steps into the temple, murmuring a prayer to Junil and Lugus as she does so. She says little at the start, letting Celevan do the talking. But she does shake Winterson's hand when it is offered and introduces her self as, "Reluctant Follower of Dreams, of the Dancers in the Glade Clan, of the Holy Order of the Watchful Sword, known as Dreams for short."

"I doubt I will be persuaded by your words," says Dreams, "but I profess to being curious as to what you believe. How do believe the worship of the winter god will benefit the people of Falcon's Hollow? And how did you come to follow him yourself? Do you truly believe that following him is what's best for all?" As he answers, Dreams tries to read his tone of voice and expression, to see whether he is sincerely interested in helping others or only in himself.
Sense Motive