Act 7 - No Shortage of Peril

The Age of Magic is ended, Bhall, the Goddess of Fire, has succumbed to the whispers of Agares and fallen into Hell. Her worshipers and creations driven mad, and fire, which has been a powerful ally to man, has turned against him. Each good god was charged with the opposition of an evil god. Bhall was responsible for balancing Mulcarn, the God of Winter. Finding himself unopposed Mulcarn has broken The Compact and moved into Creation.

Creation was on the verge of another open war between the gods, that which they had outlawed with The Compact. To keep that from happening a deal was struck and the gods agreed that one god would enter Creation to challenge Mulcarn. That was Sucellus, the God of Nature. The two gods battled across the face of Creation, entire civilizations still recovering from the Burning Skies that marked the fall of Bhall were destroyed by their power. In the end Sucellus was killed and Mulcarn remained.

The Eternal Winter has begun...
Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:26 pm

Drak draws his hood up and gets onto the sled. He copies the others by looking back at the town with them. "Alright. Lets do this."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:01 pm

Its fun how you guys are hoping one enemy will foil another enemy. I feel like you've really gotten invested in the town. So while you are away I can destroy it, Mauahahahaah :)
The sleds pull out of town, some look back, some don't, and the hope is that Kreed, of all people, will keep Winterson at bay. You can hope so, but Laurel and Baleson remain as well and that give you hope as well.

The sleds aren't too hard to control and from Falcon's Hollow south there is a road, buried in snow of course, but it makes the travel a fairly simple affair for many miles. Milon and others have taken this road before and the route is simple enough. South for the most part following the river until you reach the place to ford it. In this weather that will be the trick, either you might cross via the ice on the sleds, or you'll need to ferry across. That is the big point of contention among the group, where and when to cross. Everyone agrees to take the road that shadows the river at least a day south, then a choice will need to be made.

So for the day you sled, its not too fast in the deep snow, but its not too slow either. By evening as the sun is setting and the sky is growing pink the group starts to talk about camping....
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:18 pm

Dreams, with her enchanted boots that protect her from the cold and allow her to run over the top of the snow, scouts ahead when needed.
So, if Dreams ventured out on the ice to see how safe it was and fell in the water, would the Boots of the Winterlands protect her from the cold? I mean, I assume she'd get soaking wet still, but would she at least be protected from hypothermia?

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:47 am

With most of the others keeping an eye on where they are going and scouting ahead, Drak spends his time making sure their sleds and equipment are in tip top shape. Talks about fording or ferrying arise, but he has little opinion about the subject. He thinks it is best left up to those who are more knowledgeable about these things. At least when they go to camp, they wont have to worry about getting a fire started. One of the perks of being born of flame.
Percpetion/Knowledge:Engineering to keep an eye on the sleds and equipment. To make sure we don't end up breaking anything and forcing ourselves to walk.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:58 pm

As the sun goes down, Celevan begins to scan for a good place to camp. "We should stop a little early today," he suggests. "We're not used to all of the camp chores, so we'll be a little more slow tonight. Best we arrange to have time to set up camp before darkness falls."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:52 pm

Tessa nods to Celevan, "I agree. Let's inform the other sleds." She calls out to the other sleds to pull up along side, and you have a short conversation. Milon and Stormy both agree, and the other sled goes along with whatever the others decide. Drak's eye on the sleds suggests all is well with them.

So after another half an hour you find a place and pull over to make camp. There is a small hill with some hemlock trees on it for a wind break, and you are able to circle the sleds for more of a break. You start the camp chores of dealing with the horses and dogs, the fire, cooking, and setting tents. Stormy, unlike her predecessor PayDay actually helps with the chores. She yells at anyone that makes a mistake, like an angry bosun on a ship, but she pulls her own weight too. Drak makes sure there is a fire, and good one, even with all the wet snow covered wood that has to be used.

The sun has sunk when dinner is finally ready and people start to eat.

Kimi, bundled up good looks a bit colder than the others. The young half elf woman hasn't said much but once she gets something warm in her belly she approaches Dreams and Celevan. "Hey, I was wondering, maybe you could help me a bit. I've been trying on my own, but I need some help with... well. I'd like to be able to speak elven, I know some words and such, but when I meet my father again I'd like to greet him in elven. Can you help me?"

Bichaela, the lead merchant, finds herself speaking with Torias about his forge, and possibly setting up some trade deals with him. Its small talk but it keeps the camp friendly. Others are siting now on logs or camp stools, eating dinner talking about the winter weather, the new cleric in town 'how he doesn't seem to bad' but mostly about the supply run; how long it will take and if the snow will hold up all the way to Olfden.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:15 pm

As they make camp, Dreams says to the others, "When it comes time to cross the river, I'd be happy to scout it out to see how safe the ice is. If I fall in, I'll get wet, but by enchanted boots should protect me from the cold."

When Kimi approaches them, Dreams is silent a moment, looking at Celevan, and then slowly says, "Yes." She doubts the poor half-breed can ever properly master the Elohim tongue, but she feels sorry for her. "We can teach you a few phrases at least, but it will take much longer to learn to speak the tongue. But you probably already know that. What exactly do you want to say to your father? Or would you like to know a traditional greeting?"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:09 pm

Celevan adds his own agreement more cheerfully. "We'll he happy to teach you your second mother tongue. I'm giving Milon lessons as it is. And you're young enough that you'll probably pick it up pretty easily. True, it's a complicated language. But it's by no means impossible. Besides, we have time to kill on the trip; we'll be able to give you a firm grounding in the language before we meet your father. If I have my way, you'll master more than a few phrases before we're done with your lessons.

"I've got to warn you, though," the blue-eyed summoner adds. "Dreams is a stickler about pronunciations." He smiles at the half-elf girl.

Grimbold
Title: Professor

Post by Grimbold » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:34 am

Torias helps set up the camp and, after chatting a bit with the merchant about his forge, he sits at the fire, first making some notes about the days events in his diary and then reading in some book he took along. He takes his turn as a guard, but is very worried about the hold Winterson will have on Falcon's Hollow, and how to counter it. We might have to set up our own temple, he thinks.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:27 pm

"That's because the subtleties of pronounciation matter so much in Elohim," says Dreams defensively, before realizing that Celevan is joking. She shrugs and says, "The subtleties matter, but elves who are used to dealing with outsiders are used to be people not getting the accent quite right and saying, 'kitten,' when they mean 'hell-spawned nightmare.'"