Act 7 - No Shortage of Peril

The Age of Magic is ended, Bhall, the Goddess of Fire, has succumbed to the whispers of Agares and fallen into Hell. Her worshipers and creations driven mad, and fire, which has been a powerful ally to man, has turned against him. Each good god was charged with the opposition of an evil god. Bhall was responsible for balancing Mulcarn, the God of Winter. Finding himself unopposed Mulcarn has broken The Compact and moved into Creation.

Creation was on the verge of another open war between the gods, that which they had outlawed with The Compact. To keep that from happening a deal was struck and the gods agreed that one god would enter Creation to challenge Mulcarn. That was Sucellus, the God of Nature. The two gods battled across the face of Creation, entire civilizations still recovering from the Burning Skies that marked the fall of Bhall were destroyed by their power. In the end Sucellus was killed and Mulcarn remained.

The Eternal Winter has begun...
Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:58 pm

Kimi smiles at Dreams, "Its like the accent you have when speaking Icatian right? I mean you say Falcon very oddly, and sometimes your accent is so thick I just nod and smile and pretend I know what you are saying. Its okay, its not your fault after all you are an elf, you can't be expected to understand human language. Lucky for me I'm both! So I'll be able to speak both perfectly, once I get some training in elven."

The camp is set, and shifts are started to keep watch.
Sorry I'm enjoying the RP with Dreams, Evan and Kimi and once that runs its course we'll move along
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:26 pm

Celevan stifles a smile. He knows he speaks Icatian with an Elohim accent, but that's never bothered him. Then again, it's never bothered him when anyone else speaks Elohim with an Icatian accent.

"That first syllable of Falcon is particularly tough for us," Celevan admits to Kimi. "It's not quite represented in Elohim, and I've never been able to say it correctly. One night at the tavern I had the sheriff try and teach me how to say it, but I could never manage to pronounce it right - though that might have had something to do with the beer we were drinking. I finally gave up and decided that I'd have to charm the ladies with my Elohim accent as it was."
I've had that experience in real life with a Vietnamese friend who said no one ever pronounced her name correctly. We worked on it for about 20 minutes and I never got it right. I simply couldn't hear the difference between what I was saying and what she was saying.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:32 pm

Kimi nods, "You aren't too bad Celevan, you've been in Falcon's Hollow many years, I notice it less and less with you. Her on the other hand." She shudders. "She's new, she'll figure it out eventually. Now then, if we have some time, let's do this. I need to get going on these lessons before I see my father again."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:02 pm

Torias looks up when he hears people speak about pronunciation. "I'm a bit of a scholar of languages myself," he joins in. "I know quite a few languages fluently, though not without accent I'm afraid. Elohim has a few peculiarities with grammar also, note that some words we use as nouns here in Icatian are verbs in Elohim. It siginifies the sense that many things in the world are not actually things, but, let's say, processes happening at the moment. So instead of the word plants, they would say something like 'there is growing going on here'." He notes he has raised a finger in a teacherly way, and now folds his hands behind his back. "Any questions?"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:06 pm

Celevan smiles as Torias fall into teaching mode.

"I was going to start her off with some basic syntax and vocabulary words," the summoner adds. "Might be best to save the comparative linguistics for later."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:23 pm

Kimi looks bored already, "Can't you just teach me the curse words!"

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:23 pm

Dreams shrugs when Kimi says she speaks Icatian with an accent. It doesn't matter to her, because Icatian is a self-evidently inferior language.

"I thought you wanted to say hello to your father? Do you intend to start by cursing at him? That hardly seems like the best way to start off. The traditional Elohim greeting translates as, 'It gladdens my eyes to see you again,' though there are others for someone you've never met. Would you like to learn those--or is there something specific you want to be able to say?" Dreams would like to steer the young woman away from foul language.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:25 pm

Kimi nods, "Okay we'll start with the greetings, but eventually I'll need to know how to swear, you know so if someone is cussing me out I'll know it. Wouldn't want someone insulting me without understanding them." She then eager devours any bits of language the company is willing to start teaching her.
I think we move along now?

Sense Motive Roll for Celevan vs Dreams

Yup he makes it.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:33 pm

Celevan narrows his eyes and gives Dreams a funny look when she reacts to Kimi's comment, but he says nothing. Instead he just nods at her next comment. "Greetings would be best, of course," he agrees. "Though we'll get you speaking more than that before we're done. If I have anything to say about it, you'll be able to have a full conversation with your father when you meet him." He smiles and adds, "And we'll get to curses soon enough. There's a place for them in any language, Elohim included. They shouldn't be used every day. But if employed properly, they provide emphasis when emphasis is needed."

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:09 pm

Drak shrugs. "Language is mean't to communicate an idea to another. As long as they understand what you are trying to get across, then you succeeded. I have never been one to pick and comb over the minute details."